• Custom Search

ArtCFartC

Insurance Issues with personal use

Question for people using their Transit Connect as a personal vehicle:  Has anyone else been hassled by their insurance company for not registering as a commercial vehicle?  Mine has repeatedly given me the run down of,  "What are you using this for?", "What's your occupation?", etc... 

Obviously, I should change carriers, but I have a claim open and I'm pretty sure they'll drop the claim if I drop them, since it seems they're always trying to build a case against me.  My claim's been, "under management review" for almost a month now though.

Edited by ArtCFartC

Never had a question, mine is the wagon version but don't think they would say anything if it were the van version.

I have a full-panel cargo van (no windows at all behind the seats), bought brand new in 2015 and had American Family originally, no problems at all. Moved to Texas and AmFam isn't licensed here, so I had to switch. Ended up with stupid State Farm for a few months - over twice the premium for the same coverage! Dropped them for Texas Farm Bureau Insurance and their premiums were in-line with AmFam for the same coverage, but went up about $15/month several months back. But none of the three had problems with it being a cargo van. 

The one problem that I've run into with it being a cargo van is that my Capital One card sometimes offers me auto refinancing, but they consider my van commercial, so they won't refinance it. Oh well...

I also have a full panel cargo van.  Because I'm in NY and wanted regular passenger plates, I had to put a small porthole window in each rear side per DOT specs.  I bought this brand new and the Ford dealer I bought it from advised me I'd have to do this.  They did the install and got my plates and registration... so everything was totally "by the book legal".  Even so, my insurance company who I've had for years and handles multiple vehicles and property was very, very difficult to deal with.  They simply couldn't understand why this vehicle wasn't being registered as a commercial vehicle.  I had to keep saying I want passenger plates so I can use the parkways, and per NY DOT this vehicle is now 100% legal to get them.  They eventually said yes but were such a pain that when my policy is up for renewal I'll probably look for another company.  Boggles the mind...

Interesting.  In this state, I specifically want commercial plates so that I can park in commercial zones, and drive on streets with signage as "commercial vehicles only".  No insurance company hassle at all. Commercial license plate.  Private person, non commercial insurance.  I've done this since high school.  16 year old kid, with commercial plates, driving a car with a motor cycle license.  Insurance company only cares that I pay. 

We truly live in different worlds.  I've never seen a 'commercial zone' where I couldn't drive my passenger car, nor a street with signage saying 'Commercial Vehicles Only'  -  Quite the opposite, all I ever do see as far as restrictive signage on streets around here is 'No Trucks'

Don

If certain streets are not set aside for commercial vehicle lanes and parking, then deliveries don't make it, and nobody can get any service work performed.  Then there are streets with lanes painted red for buses and taxis only.  Curbside parking is 45°, back in only.  You must back in, and pull out forward.  Any car in a parking space head first, gets a citation.  Street parking meters give 3 minutes for a quarter.  

My van has commercial plates, but it's just a car most of the time.  It was cheaper to insure than the full sized Chevy van it replaced.  Neither has been an issue for insurance with Allstate.

California mandates that trucks and cargo vans are commercial vehicles and requires commercial plates on those vehicles. But the reason is because they collect a higher plate registration fee for the commercial plates. More money in the state coffers. There are some benefits, like being able to legally park in yellow curb loading zones. The TC wagons are not classified as cargo vans but rather passenger minivans, and do not require a commercial plate, but you can request one, and pay the higher fees, if you prefer. I have USAA insurance, and they have not given me any issues insuring my cargo van. It's mostly used as a 2 passenger vehicle.

As long as it's not used for taxi, no difference over here.