• Custom Search

My ‘18 didn’t have a glass in the left slider when I got it 🤨 Merging into traffic just using the mirror was just uncomfortable, especially after my ‘14 was equipped with the glass. I had a local glass company install one a week or so ago. Much better, much safer. The Ford/Carlite glass was $195, installation $45. Worth every cent!

26149D2D-9AF7-4156-99A9-BBFC4CFD7CDD.thumb.jpeg.079da96d964a365d6505c6ec1fa21b1e.jpeg

2C3A1BC2-8ACC-40E2-B8F8-A4D4BFAEE6F2.jpeg

Very nice window upgrade. Your post got me inspired to look online for sliding door windows and came across Van Windows Direct out of Victorville CA. They have solid windows and then I stumbled onto their 1/2 sliding window for either L or R side sliding door, 380$ each. Kinda spendy but less than the used wagon doors I found in Yuma at 600$ each. 

Were you around when they installed your window? I was just curious if you or anyone else knew how difficult it was to remove the plastic cover. From looking at your pictures (thanks) you posted it looks like it is glued in with a butyl tape or caulking. 

5 hours ago, ncranchero said:

The Ford/Carlite glass was $195, installation $45. Worth every cent!

Agreed.  Such a luxury to be able to look over your shoulder, and actually see.  

14 hours ago, desert_connect said:

Were you around when they installed your window? I was just curious if you or anyone else knew how difficult it was to remove the plastic cover. From looking at your pictures (thanks) you posted it looks like it is glued in with a butyl tape or caulking. 

The solid panel and all fixed glass is glued to the vehicle using urethane adhesive. To remove them, it involves taping off the surrounding area with gaffers tape, and then using a windshield cutout wire tool or a power tool with a metal blade, depending on the application. With the wire tool it's usually a 2 person job, with 2 T-handles and sharp wire that slowly saws its way through the dry urethane adhesive. Once the panel is removed, most of the remaining adhesive is removed with a razor blade and then cleaned with rubbing alcohol. Installing the glass then involves a power caulking tool, some primer depending on the adhesive, and laying a bead of adhesive around the perimeter of either the glass or the body. Then carefully laying the glass into place and taping it to hold it into position. Drying time varies with different adhesives. This is the same process for windshields and fixed quarter glass.

9 minutes ago, zalienz said:

The solid panel and all fixed glass is glued to the vehicle using urethane adhesive. To remove them, it involves taping off the surrounding area with gaffers tape, and then using a windshield cutout wire tool or a power tool with a metal blade, depending on the application. With the wire tool it's usually a 2 person job, with 2 T-handles and sharp wire that slowly saws its way through the dry urethane adhesive. Once the panel is removed, most of the remaining adhesive is removed with a razor blade and then cleaned with rubbing alcohol. Installing the glass then involves a power caulking tool, some primer depending on the adhesive, and laying a bead of adhesive around the perimeter of either the glass or the body. Then carefully laying the glass into place and taping it to hold it into position. Drying time varies with different adhesives. This is the same process for windshields and fixed quarter glass.

Thanks, zalienz.  Nice to know what I am facing. I kinda figured that it might be an adhesive caulking. I've replaced several windshields and windows in the 70s using the butyl rope cord and a primer but never adhesive caulking only. For removal I used a tool that was a knife on the end of an offset handle with a T handle pull cable but being too short it would not work for this application. Everything has changed in 40 years!

I have to admit that is very nice ,  luckily for me i never had any issues with merging / parking , lane changing ext.. and i never rely on mirrors i always look , the drivers side window is big enough to allow it but i have heard more than a few with these vans say they do have issues with that stuff so a window is a good option. 

I've never had any trouble seeing things in my "small" mirrors (same as pictured above), although I would like to upgrade to the "large" ones. No windows at all behind the front seats and mine is an XL, so no cameras, sensors, doodads, thingamajiggers & whatchamacallits, lol. But, I've also previously had F150's & an F350 that had camper shells, so I couldn't really see through the back on those, either. But it's good that you were able to get what you need for relatively cheap, at least! Looks like a clean install, too.

On 5/19/2019 at 1:20 AM, ncranchero said:

Merging into traffic just using the mirror was just uncomfortable, especially after my ‘14 was equipped with the glass.

For anyone interested.......I purchased and installed a passenger sliding door window with an opening window. I will post more on my build thread, 2017 TC XLT simple camper.

P6060339.JPG

Is that a taxi window or something? Aftermarket? I haven't seen any TC windows like that before, lol. 

Very unique window.  Looks good.

1 hour ago, jrm223 said:

Is that a taxi window or something? Aftermarket? I haven't seen any TC windows like that before, lol. 

It is an aftermarket "AMA" window sold through Van Windows Direct.

On 6/7/2019 at 12:12 AM, desert_connect said:

For anyone interested.......I purchased and installed a passenger sliding door window with an opening window. I will post more on my build thread, 2017 TC XLT simple camper.

P6060339.JPG

Nice upgrade. I dig the opening window!

On 5/18/2019 at 6:20 PM, ncranchero said:

My ‘18 didn’t have a glass in the left slider when I got it 🤨 Merging into traffic just using the mirror was just uncomfortable, especially after my ‘14 was equipped with the glass. I had a local glass company install one a week or so ago. Much better, much safer. The Ford/Carlite glass was $195, installation $45. Worth every cent!

26149D2D-9AF7-4156-99A9-BBFC4CFD7CDD.thumb.jpeg.079da96d964a365d6505c6ec1fa21b1e.jpeg

2C3A1BC2-8ACC-40E2-B8F8-A4D4BFAEE6F2.jpeg

Safelite wanted $500+ installed.  Bought one to do myself.

16 hours ago, MLB said:

Safelite wanted $500+ installed.  Bought one to do myself.

Whoa! I paid them around $380-390 w/ tax to replace my '15 XL windshield a couple years ago - and they had to drive an hour from their nearest location out to me here in rural Texas, lol. I didn't feel like taking half a day off from work to go to them. 

7 hours ago, jrm223 said:

Whoa! I paid them around $380-390 w/ tax to replace my '15 XL windshield a couple years ago - and they had to drive an hour from their nearest location out to me here in rural Texas, lol. I didn't feel like taking half a day off from work to go to them. 

Safelite does not have fixed pricing.  Every location charges different prices for the same thing.  It depends on where you are at.  Just like everything else, some areas are just more expensive.  In my area, independent shops charge less than Safelite, for parts and labor.  But they are not paying for franchise fees.