Jump to content
   
Jling

409k on my 2014 Connect and I finally had to change out the engine

Recommended Posts

I bought my 2014 TC in April of 2015 with 37 miles on it. 

It has servered me well for my delivery route that I run. “ almost 600 miles a day” 

The engine lost compression in cylinder 1. 

I think it had something to do with the valves. “ I drive pretty hard to get my route done so the poor van has taken a beating. 

My oil was changed every 10k and it served me well up until it started missing at 409k. 

I bought a wrecked 2014 TC with 100k on it from copart and and swapped the motor and trans now it’s back in service. 

Im hoping to go another 300-400k! 

 

I have a ton of parts from the wrecked TC if anyone needs anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Posted (edited)

Wow that is a lot of miles! Do you have pics of your TC as well as parts TC?

 

What kind of delivery route do you have at almost 600 miles a day?

 

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Edited by AVguy2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is very impressive.  Cant't think of anything I need but will keep you in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inspiration! So good to hear that these can put that much road into the mirrors...

Could you share with us other maintenance issues you've had with it so we mere mortals know what to watch on our own cars?

GK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually run a courier route delivering meds to nursing homes. 

Ill posts some pics of the parts TC I think I have a few of my van as well. 

As far as any other issues I’ve had along the way, the third brake light died so I had to replace that around 350k . 

The radio died around 275k “ I have the CD player with the sync system “. 

Beleive it or not I didn’t even replace brakes until 400k and they still would’ve passed inspection. I had the trans serviced at 160k then I just changed the fluid once myself around 380k. 

I’m on my 4th set of tires. That’s all I can really think of for now. 

 

I also have a 2014 transit connect wagon that I’m fixing up. 

Here are some pics. 

The white one is the parts unit. 

The black one with the white hood is the one I’m fixing up. 

 

Ill get some pics of my transit I use every day tomorrow for you guys. 

 

520784EC-4BAE-4F0C-BF98-E94C56DE99ED.jpeg

8BC573C6-BE9F-499A-903C-28E4126E25F0.jpeg

ADE7604A-82FE-477E-B274-F858EAF60F5E.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rock On!! Welcome aboard .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey thanks 

Here’s a pic of the 400k van. 

I actually put 8k on the on the replacement engine already. 

 

742307C8-0E06-4AEA-86A4-C1ED117661B7.jpeg

16639F28-8748-4AA9-8887-34BE5F3FBB8F.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jling said:

742307C8-0E06-4AEA-86A4-C1ED117661B7.jpeg

12 hours ago, Jling said:

 

what is in this picture? that looks like the low cluster but is that cruise control? I thought cruise control wasn't available with a low cluster

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dinocarsfast said:

what is in this picture? that looks like the low cluster but is that cruise control? I thought cruise control wasn't available with a low cluster

 

I’m showing the the miles that are on my van in this picture. Sorry, I’m not sure what you mean when you say low cluster. This is the digital display that is between the tachometer and the speedometer on my guage cluster. Yes it is set on the cruise control setting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Insane mileage :O

 

I have the same cluster and CC indicator is also there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is impressive mileage you went on that engine. The body on the van still looks very good, these are tough vans!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if I missed this, but... what engine was/is this, the 2.5 or the 1.6 turbo?  (I'm guessing the 2.5 of course...)

 

Glad to hear these can rack up high miles... I"m considering a 2014 that's in the high 70s.  Was pondering whether that might be halfway to major items needing replacement... tranny clutches, timing components, that sort of thing... but you seem to have a data point that says "not if you take care of it".  (Lots of highway miles helps too.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2018 at 8:27 AM, Mike Walton said:

 these are tough vans!

 

 

If you know what you are doing when you crash it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2018 at 8:45 PM, Jling said:

I bought my 2014 TC in April of 2015 with 37 miles on it. ........

I have a ton of parts from the wrecked TC if anyone needs anything. 

 

 

 

Hey J,

 

I found a great 2015 with the 2.5L gasoline engine (2.5L-Group:FFMXT02.52D8) not sure if this is the "Durotec" version or not. I hope to get as many good dervice miles as you from this Van Transit Connect. Do you have the passenger seats ( the first row right behind the driver and front passenger) for sale? if so how much would you want for them? I bought mine used and the guy before who owned it stripped the interior of rear seats. I use mine for pleasure motorcycle hauling and camping but I have relatives coming in October and would like to have seating for five again. Please let me know.

 

Congratulations on your VanTransit's  longevity

 

SIncerely HerodeCBR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2018 at 4:46 PM, Eddy Kilowatt said:

Sorry if I missed this, but... what engine was/is this, the 2.5 or the 1.6 turbo?  (I'm guessing the 2.5 of course...)

 

Glad to hear these can rack up high miles... I"m considering a 2014 that's in the high 70s.  Was pondering whether that might be halfway to major items needing replacement... tranny clutches, timing components, that sort of thing... but you seem to have a data point that says "not if you take care of it".  (Lots of highway miles helps too.)

It’s the 2.5 and yes they’re very durable vans. I’m not easy on mine at all. I would recommend one to anybody that needs a small van for sure! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/28/2018 at 8:45 AM, HeRodeCBR said:

 

 

 

Hey J,

 

I found a great 2015 with the 2.5L gasoline engine (2.5L-Group:FFMXT02.52D8) not sure if this is the "Durotec" version or not. I hope to get as many good dervice miles as you from this Van Transit Connect. Do you have the passenger seats ( the first row right behind the driver and front passenger) for sale? if so how much would you want for them? I bought mine used and the guy before who owned it stripped the interior of rear seats. I use mine for pleasure motorcycle hauling and camping but I have relatives coming in October and would like to have seating for five again. Please let me know.

 

Congratulations on your VanTransit's  longevity

 

SIncerely HerodeCBR

Sorry the one I’m selling parts off of is the cargo version without the seats. 

If I come across any I’ll let you know. 

Edited by Jling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, the amount of mileage vs the amount of maintenance and repairs is phenomenal. Most people would be happy with 200K on a vehicle. It speaks pretty highly of the reliability and build level of these vans. Motor on...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm VERY impressed that the trans outlasted the engine!! . . . . . and that you haven't had any front wheel bearing issues like those plaguing the Gen 1 TC's

 

You say you drive it 'hard' but I suspect you're actually easier on your equipment than most drivers

 

Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Beta Don said:

and that you haven't had any front wheel bearing issues like those plaguing the Gen 1 TC's

 

 

It’s because the Gen1 was based on Focus, which was way too weak for a heavier van. The new one is based on S-Max, which is a mid-size minivan and suits it much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mrtn said:

 

It’s because the Gen1 was based on Focus, which was way too weak for a heavier van. The new one is based on S-Max, which is a mid-size minivan and suits it much better.

Still, 400K+ on a FWD platform without any front wheel bearing or CV joint issues is remarkable  -  I know lots of RWD vehicles that have more problems than that

 

Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×