Ford Transit Connect Forum

Passengers seats or Cargo????

Howdy folks... I am new here and planning to purchase a Transit Connect in the next few months. I am looking at Cargo TC's!   One main requirement is that it has to be RED!  There seems to be a plethora of WHITE TC's and a very few RED!  I have found a RED one in a passenger TC tho....  Which leads me to this question.

If I purchased a passenger TC... are the seats easy to remove... AND if removed...  will the deck be as flat as the Cargo van?

The reason why... I have this requirement and the questions...

I am a professional Santa and intend to make this my SLEIGH... therefor the RED.  As for the cargo van...  I often bring a small sound system and from time to time, a magic stage table or two.  I also perform Magic and Balloon shows during the summer.  I am concerned that if I bought the passenger TC, the folded seats would make it 8 inches or so, higher than the cargo van deck,  to load my magic equipment into it, possibly straining my back.  For the most part, during the summer months I carry several large bags of inflated balloons to parties making the cargo van  perfect and it has the lower floor for lifting heavier items into.

So... since I can't seem to find a RED XLT Cargo van easily...  I might have to settle for the RED XLT passenger TC and remove the seats for the lower loading deck.   I would not need the seats for any reason.

Enjoy your awesome day today!

Santa Ralph

Seems to me a lot depends on the van length as to how easy it is to remove the seats? Short wheel base, they pop right out, but the longer models are all bolted down. Even then not so bad, unless the bolts have corroded into the floor. There's also some locator pegs that can put up a fight after you get the bolts out.

This looks like a decent writeup on floor mods you might need to make on the newer models ...

Just a thought  -  Limiting yourself to one specific color  -  Especially a color as scarce as RED  -  Will greatly affect the price vs quality of the vehicles you'll find.  A really great deal on a red cargo van might  be impossible to find

Christmas colors are red and white (snow & Santa's coat trim & his beard) so you might want to consider a white one and then have a red vinyl wrap of your own custom design put on it  -  You could probably make it look even more like a sleigh than if you had an all red one.  If you're looking for a low mileage, like new used cargo van, finding a white one might save you more than the cost of the vinyl wrap . . . . and you'd have what you're really looking for  -  A like new XLT cargo van at a great price!!

I sure wouldn't give up all that just to stay stuck on RED!

Don

LOL you beat me to the PlastiDip, love the photo!  I was reading the thread and was thinking the same thing.  In the LWB model the rear seats are relatively easy to remove - 4 bolts each and then lift them out.  They are not super heavy but certainly not light.  With the middle seats folded "flat" there is 58" from the rear door to the back of the seat.  It sticks up 7 or 8 " above the floor.  I haul one of my scooters in the rear a lot.  Remove the back seats fold middle seats "flat" put a WeatherTech mat down with a 3x3 MDF board on top.  Roll scooter in and let the front wheel drop down between the two middle seats.  I have hauled scooters from 165 pounds to 250 pounds.  I have not taken the middle seats out just fold them flat so not sure what is involved with removing them.  When looking check the rear door - I have the lift gate which makes a nice cover in the rain.  Look at the vertical clearance at the door, particularly with the rear seats folded.  Better than most vans but less than the total interior headroom.

Note I have the 6 passenger Titanium van in creeper white.  When I bought was looking for a good deal and that is what was available - not my first choice but better than black in the summer.  Red would be one of my favorites.  

• 4 weeks later...

I have since changed my mind a bit... I am no longer looking for a Cargo TC.  I am looking for a Titanium passenger TC with seats. I will remove the rear seats for more cargo space.  But it must be RaceRed!  White...  is an interesting thought...  but every state vehicle is WHITE... and most every plumber and tradesmen vans are WHITE. If I notice a TC driving by... it usually is a WHITE" one!  I looked into wrapping a white TC...  interesting!    Now to locate a Race Red Titanium!  (or a loaded XLT).

Thanks guys!

17 hours ago, Gideon said:

What about a lower-cost cargo model and get it repainted by a reputable shop ??

That would be far too easy for him; same for repainting any other Titanium wagon, lol. Much better to undergo a national search for a near-unicorn and pay twice as much overall for it.