Ford Transit Connect Forum

Curt Hitch Class 2 or 3?

I am trying to decide which version of the Curt hitch to get and I thought I would get some input from those that have one.  The class 3 has the 2" receiver which I like for a couple of reasons.  One reason is that I have a couple of 2" hitches.  The second reason is most bike racks, etc are 2".  However, the class 2 looks like there is more room for spare tire removal, appears to have more ground clearance and doesn't stick out from the bumper as much.  Obviously, I wont need more towing capacity than the class 2, since its more than the TC capacity,  FYI, I'm planning on towing a small light trailer (<800 lbs).

So here are my questions for those that have a Curt hitch.  Does your class 3 scrape on driveways, etc?  Is the tire clearance an issue?  Have you hit it with your shins?

I have the Curt class 3 hitch. I keep a hitch ball in mine and it's never scraped on any driveways that I've noticed - even though the front bumper will scrape some of the driveways, the hitch doesn't. I haven't dropped the spare tire, so I couldn't say if it would cause an issue, but I can say that my spare tire still has clearance all around. Even with the hitch ball in, I haven't hit my shins on anything, but I've also had lots of trucks in my past, so I'm maybe more accustomed to it (knee knockers on about half of the trucks I've had and I'm 6ft tall). Even for light use, I don't think I'd bother with a class 2 and it's itty-bitty 1.25" receiver. 

I bought the class 2 mainly because I've had them on other small cars and I already had an assortment of hitch receivers to fit it . . . . and, because in more than 20 years, I've never had any accessory (bike racks etc) which require a 2 inch receiver.  Also, the smaller hitch adapter is easy to stow away  -  I wrap mine in an old tee shirt and stow it in the rear drivers side compartment

But . . . . it's true that the 2 inch receiver *is* more versatile, *if* you have need of accessories which will only fit a 2 inch   -  Not a consideration in my case

Don

It's about flush with the back of the bumper, but it's tucked up very tight with the bottom lip of it

If you have a need for the 2" receiver, by all means go that way  -  It is more versatile, though they do make bike racks for the 1 1/4 receivers too  -  My daughter has one on her car and she never pulls a trailer.  Otherwise, I actually prefer the smaller Class 2 for 4 cylinder cars which will never tow anything heavy where you don't need the extra tongue weight rating

Don

• 9 months later...

i went with the class 2 for 1 reason. Weight.

My 2" insert/ball weighs a lot more than the 1'1/4" setup,  and so does the bigger framework of the class 3 versus 2.

Why hang 20lb (guessing) extra lbs off the back of a light duty vehicle when you can never use the extra hd factor?
Maybe the extras if you'll really use them.