Ford Transit Connect Forum

TC XLT 2016 rear caliper and brake questions?

32k miles on my 2016 XLT cargo and pads were worn out(grinding noise). These use the caliper parking brake combination and i found servicing these a bit confusing. My regular tech walked me through pad change and suggested  turning in the puck while applying pressure with needle nose applied to the 2 holes. He also cautioned that on some vehicles turning the puck is usually clockwise but could be counter clockwise. So far i have only done the right rear pad change(clockwise worked) and will pursue left rear this week. Anyone done there own rear brakes and are both sides clockwise push and turn?

If you watch which way the cable lever pulls it will tell you which way to turn the puck.  Rockauto has rotors  with improved corrosion protection, check them out and see if you can get them locally . it will help them last better.  The rear brakes wear faster on the Gen 2.

Update..both rear calipers require clockwise plus pressure to bottom out. My tech advised after assy to depress brake pedal(eng off ok) and then pull up your park brake lever to reset the caliper parking brake internals with the new components.Your good to go if your wheels spin freely?

I have rear pads & rotors sitting in my van waiting to be installed. But, I also seem to have the longest lasting brakes here lol; I see lots of posts here about premature brake wear as early as 5-6K miles. I have 106K miles (bought brand new, so definitely no brake jobs in the past), the front pads still look brand new and the rears had 2mm left at 102K miles, but mostly highway miles and I've always coast down as much as I can. I bought the actual caliper compression kit that has the different adapters for about $25 on Amazon, but thank you for the heads-up that they're both clockwise so I don't have to figure it out later! 

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

I've got a 2017 XLT LWB cargo with 18,000 (that's right eighteen thousand) miles on it. I'm on my 4th set of rear brake pads, 2nd set of rotors (the first set of rotors was turned and then replaced with the next brake job. Michigan roads and winters, so you know... but I'm not a hard driver or braker and this isn't a commercially used vehicle. any suggestions I can pass on to my service tech? It's still under (extended) warranty but I've never had a vehicle that required this many brake jobs!

FYI..when i did rears at 32k ,rotors had minor pits but runout and thickness met specs. One rotor had slight scoring from metal to metal  which set off my do something immediately alarm. Installed "get me by" cheap Napa pads knowing i would have my tech redo later. At 46k now with my temp install and brakes are fine. I should pull a wheel and check for wear ...its on my list.

On a new car, the bumper to bumper warranty is 3 years.  The drivetrain warranty is 5 years.  I'm not sure how brakes warrantied on a new car.  Brakes are a wear item.  They wear out depending on how you drive.  A car with 100,000 freeway miles could have brakes like a car with 50,000 miles in stop and go traffic.  Then there are other factors, like drive style and how much weight you carry.  

There's always the possibility that more expensive brake parts will last longer.  I know that when I bought cheap brakes, they didn't stop very good and did not last very long.

For several years now, Ford has offered a "Lifetime Brake Pad Guarantee".  I have no idea how they do that.  My best guess is that you have to pay for all labor, resurfacing the rotors, or replacing the rotors.  How generous of Ford to give you $20 brake pads for free, after you pay $400 for the brake job.  But it sounds like something worth looking into.  

image.thumb.png.4e0faad20a13b2cd84352f6584132380.png

On 5/18/2022 at 6:11 PM, DrummerDan said:

any suggestions I can pass on to my service tech? It's still under (extended) warranty but I've never had a vehicle that required this many brake jobs!

These will help with the rust, lots of short drives in the winter in Michigan will maximize the rusting.

Screenshot_2022-05-25 More Information for RAYBESTOS 680999FZN.png

Ford Dealer just told me that I need new rear pads and rotors on my 2021, with just 17000 miles on it. Have had it for 13 months.

1/2"-1" ring of rust on the outer part of one rotor! Says rust is an "environmental" issue and is not covered by the warranty.

Really quite pissed about this. $500!

Said I should call Ford and complain and see if they will pay to get them replaced anyway.

Edited by BSJBSJ

• 1 month later...
On 9/24/2021 at 9:10 PM, Willygee said:

Odd how rear pads wear faster compared to front.My fr pads are original at 44k current mileage.

Both sets look great at 67k miles.  I bought front pads  5 years ago after some guys (hauling 2,000lbs of tools apparently) screamed about horrible brake wear!
LOL

• 8 months later...
34 minutes ago, mrtn said:

No, done it without numbers.

Note that you need parking brake release tool for the rears.

Thank you, I was hoping to have torque values for them so I don't over torque them bolts...

Appreciate heads up on brake release tool. I'm wondering if vise grips pliers will work, but I will look into it.