B0NE

CARGO FLOOR EXTENSION HATCH PT. 3

I then slapped the mat back down and cut out the rubber around the hatch cutout.

20190406_130949.thumb.jpg.a3c6d1265c402b78ca4f1b7159bb305a.jpg

Dropped in the hatch, popped in the step trim, and screwed down my cargo tie downs.

Finished product, thanks for looking at my creation, feel free to ask about anything I might have left out!

20190406_143929.thumb.jpg.d51ddef1fd07ba04979fcbfe895b6796.jpg

20190406_143935.thumb.jpg.09de81474f361300798d64969d452ee0.jpg

Looks like it came from the factory. Well done.

You should have kept this all in one thread instead of three separate posts. But the end result looks awesome! Good job. You definitely win the "OEM type appearance" compared to my setup, haha.

I completely took out all the false floor pieces and have a 48" tool chest in there, shown in the pictures. I've thought of putting this one at the back doors, but now that I have my hammock hanging in the van, I don't think they'll fit together - I'm already rubbing on the tool chest now, lol. I had to put some wood support blocks (I think they're 1x1" or 2x2" by 3ft long or so) under this chest because it wasn't wide enough to sit on the brackets that the plastic steps originally mounted to (second pic). You can kind of see that wood support at the right side of the second pic and they run on an angle front-to-back. 

But, I have a 60" that I need to fix a strut on so I can swap the 48" out for the 60" - yes, the big one does fit cross-ways in my cargo van (just barely), lol. At least the 60" box will also sit about an inch or so lower than this 48" one is and I'll be able to put some rivnuts in the step brackets and bolt down the 60" box. Unless I change my mind and try to build a more custom setup since I still have some wasted space under the tool chest.

IMAG0262.jpg

IMAG0263.jpg

@bone - great job on your installation. Thanks for sharing your work.

I too captured this storage space in my 2015 cargo with a different approach.

I couldn't stand the vinyl cargo mat so used carpeting on plywood instead.

I separated the foam from the vinyl mat and used that as filler under the plywood, which is very good sound proofing material.

It's great to have the extra storage space making use of this dead space. 

Time for you to finish those bare door panels next!

I used black paint on mine. Gives the van a nice finished detail.

P1060472.JPG

P1060584.JPG

P1060484.JPG

P1060498.JPG

This looks awesome. The Gen1 TC has a much smaller footwell but I am going to use this info and make what I can of the space. I was disappointed after all the work to remove the cover over the footwell....is that all? But space is space and tools or even batteries or removable water tanks would fit really well in that space. Thanks for the informative post.

On 5/23/2019 at 11:14 AM, Bill Jackson said:

I was disappointed after all the work to remove the cover over the footwell....is that all? But space is space and tools or even batteries or removable water tanks would fit

Install a hidden safe.  Great if you need to lock your wallet & such while you're surfing.  Maybe stash your handgun.  

Perfect suggestion especially for a van. Having a known secured space that would take a good amount of time for someone to discover and then have the tools to get into is a great advantage these days. Thank again to Fifty150 for the sage advice.

On 5/24/2019 at 8:08 PM, Fifty150 said:

Install a hidden safe.  Great if you need to lock your wallet & such while you're surfing.  Maybe stash your handgun.  

Surfing ? People at our age don't surf , very grateful that i can still walk .