Ford Transit Connect Forum

2.5 Litre Reliabilty

Have a 2016 Transit Connect:
1.    XLT Wagon. 
2.    2.5L DOHC Duratec I-4. 393466985_SunsetDoorDecal.thumb.jpg.90d57572fcd843d782357e45cb917fb8.jpg
3.    SelectShift 6-Speed Automatic Transmission. 
4.    LWB.  
5.    Modified for rear entry wheelchair & tie downs.
6.    Low mileage, <30,000 miles.
7.    Maintenance free inside & outside. Still like new.

It's not perfect but generally a reliable engine if maintained with proper oil and oil change intervals.  At 70,000 miles I would get the transmission fluid changed.  I would want a very good price for the 2018.  I started off looking at used TCs in mid 2017.  Wound up buying a new 2016 with over $7,000 off as it was only $3,000 more than the nice used ones of the same vintage or a year older.  I haven't looked recently but at that time there was not much difference in price between a 14, 15 or 16.  16's had higher prices usually because mileage was lower.

Too bad you can't get the one from TC-stretch4044, looks like a nice one.  

With lots of stop and go city driving, I'd be more concerned with the health of the transmission than the 2.5 engine  -  You know the engine oil has been regularly changed and you also know the transmission hasn't been serviced, because Ford says that's not necessary because . . . . it's a 'lifetime' transmission' . . . . which may be nearing the end of it's lifetime with 70K of stop and go driving.  The engines in the 2nd Gen TC's are considered very reliable, but there have been many examples of early transmission failures before reaching 100K.  If I was going to buy this one, I'd get an extended warranty as part of the package.  But, for what they likely want for it, I'd probably just keep looking.  As an example, when we bought our 2014 3 years ago, it had 13,000 miles on it and we paid $13,000 off the sticker price

Don

the 2.5 Duratec has been a well engineered engine for Ford. Derived from a partnership with Mazda, its relatives include the 2.3 Duratec as well. They are notoriously underpowered for its displacement. It's favored by fleets for its durability and cost of parts and maintenance. Like others have mentioned, if you keep the maintenance schedules punctual, it will last a long time. I bought a 2016 cargo LWB with 102,000 miles and have put over 25,000 on it since purchase. I race the van in SCCA RallyCross events, frequently drive long distances through the midwest, and use it as my daily driver. I have experienced zero issues with the vehicle itself. My only gripe for me is the lack of aftermarket parts for it. But that's a personal preference since I race the van competitively. 

3 hours ago, i86hotdogs said:

the 2.5 Duratec has been a well engineered engine for Ford. Derived from a partnership with Mazda, its relatives include the 2.3 Duratec as well. They are notoriously underpowered for its displacement. It's favored by fleets for its durability and cost of parts and maintenance. Like others have mentioned, if you keep the maintenance schedules punctual, it will last a long time. I bought a 2016 cargo LWB with 102,000 miles and have put over 25,000 on it since purchase. I race the van in SCCA RallyCross events, frequently drive long distances through the midwest, and use it as my daily driver. I have experienced zero issues with the vehicle itself. My only gripe for me is the lack of aftermarket parts for it. But that's a personal preference since I race the van competitively. 

Dude you have to post pics of your race van!

Nice!  Before CV I did a lot of race photography but not any RallyCross.  That looks like lots of fun.  See you are running Nicky Haydens (last American to win a MotoGP championship) number.  

21 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

See you are running Nicky Haydens (last American to win a MotoGP championship) number.  

I'll be honest with you I don't know who that is, therefore not my inspiration for the number. It was my jersey number in college; also a nice number overall.

Thanks for replies...I bought a 2015 local lease buyback with 56 k (Km).

She's clean as a whistle.

Been clamoring for a Cargo Van for many many years (Almsot bought a Chrysler Minvan back in 1989).

My family stopped me from buying  a Gen1 TC back in 2013.

I have one dilemma with this new to me TC and may need some guidance.

Will create a new post.

Thanks for all help thus far.

Doog

2015_TC.jpg

I've got a 2016 [xlt?] wagon bought in 2018. Pull a tent-trailer (approx 1200 lbs) in summer. No problems at all EXCEPT with Ford Customer NON-Service !! I would suggest to program the control unit to "Dark Mode" unless already done. Much easier on battery in our cdn climate.    You may also want to switch to '60' series tires from original '55' series.  Just remember fuel filler is on passenger side and do not open sliding door at fill-up.

Edited by Gideon
added details

On 5/21/2020 at 8:33 PM, Gideon said:

After tires wear out and need replacing, consider going with "60" series instead of "55

With you there, did that at the first  tire replacement and like the result.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 8:43 PM, G B L said:

With you there, did that at the first  tire replacement and like the result.

Pretty sure you'll like the tiny increase in ground clearence come winter.  Also around here, the '60's are a bit cheaper - go figure as they do have more rubber on them.