Ford Transit Connect Forum

Transit Connect Tailgate Tents

Does anyone know of any U.S. companies that produce tents like the Reimo Trapez Cabin Tailgate Tent?  I want a simple sent up I can pull into a camping site, raise the back hatch, and set up the tent so I utilize the back of the transit for sleeping, and the back tent for extra space to work out of.

image.thumb.png.2b4f2b6e9d0e6421d0b9a116b444ba8a.png

This is it.
Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Dell Moore

I've got an old CombiCamp collecting dust over here. It WANTS to get hooked up to the back of the TC ...

combi-camp-plus-back.jpg

Haven't done any measuring, but a bit of head scratching here, and I'll bet I could convert the extension bedroom (to the right in the pic) to attach to one of the side doors, and still be easy enough to detach if I just want to leave it in a park while I wander out ...

PS ... this is what it looks like folded up for travel. It's a LOT bigger on the inside!

combi-camp-cover.jpg

PS ... not shown is the add-on screen porch. That pretty much doubles what's already a good amount of covered area.

Edited by sKiZo

Any "SUV" tent like Sportz or other brands will work just fine, they just wrap around the back of the vehicle. Ozark Trail SUV tent is pretty inexpensive with decent reviews. I suspect they would all work better with a liftgate than barn doors, but you could always put a wood board or something across the top of the barn doors to hold the tent material up from drooping. 

PhotoAl,

Yes, I have contacted them, and unfortunately they don't ship to the U.S.

Thank you everyone else, for you great feedback.    Don, I'm leaning toward the tent you have, but I've got some time, so I am going to keep looking!

On 1/21/2020 at 9:21 AM, jrm223 said:

you could always put a wood board or something across the top of the barn doors to hold the tent material up from drooping. 

I'm thinking a couple spring loaded adjustable shower rods to sit between the doors and hook a bungie net to those ... no mods required on the van at all.

Edited by sKiZo

10 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Have you tried contacting places in the UK to see if they will ship to the US? 

Getting any of that stuff over the big water can be a real b!tch sometimes. The CombiCamp I posted up earlier is a good example. Company apparently thought this would be a lucrative market, but I hear tell the hoops they had to jump thru to get thru customs and licensing and what not just wasn't worth the time and effort. Too bad, as they're a quality product quite popular in GB and the continent. 

Then again, a lot of that probably had to do with the fact that we're now talking towable "vehicles", so I'm sure that complicates things a whole bunch more.

Kinda like the BS Ford had to go thru to get the series one into the states I suppose, but they've got billions of dollars and all the time in the world to git er done ...  ;-}

So, how's THIS for a truck tent? <G>

Slow day here, so had some fun with Photoshop. Pretty much to scale too ...

combi-camp-truck-tent.jpg

As mentioned earlier, the CombiCamp is here and itching to get converted to a truck tent on the TC. LOTS of extra room to play, especially with the screen porch mounted up on the other side towards the front of the van. Also a full size bed already in the trailer, which appeals to my old and fragile bones. 

Tcc-bed.jpg

The section that would be converted to a bridge between the two is currently set up as a kitchen for when it's raining when on the road. Got that covered inside the van now, so no great loss. You can see that area is fully floored too - I've got a piece of painted plywood and a carpet that slides right in and stores on the bed when traveling (along with all the furniture).

cc-kitchen.jpg

Shouldn't be all that difficult to modify, and I'll bet a magnetic seal to the TC would be just the ticket. I figure the extension could fold back enough to clear for quick trips out for a meal or whatever without tearing down the trailer. More I think on it, the more I like the idea.

Edited by sKiZo

When I was perusing Amazon the other day, I did see one or two ground tents that line up to the side of a minivan, rather than to the back like most truck/SUV tents, lol. You might look at them to see what they're using, but I'm pretty sure it's still just shockcords & magnet or suction cup mounts to the vehicle and some hooks to door handles or wheels. Opening & closing the slider door would be the most difficult part, unless you widened the tent to go from the driver door to the D-pillar of the van, by the taillights. If the door were just left open with the tent against it, there's still a sizable gap between the door & van body that would be wide open to flying pests & rain...

Just thinking out loud here, but best bet in either case might be to put any mounting system inside so the door opening stays clear. Not a problem here, as I've already ripped up the interior some, so just another part of the project. Use hanger rails fer instance - those are readily available in whatever length we'd need and should blend right in.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRknYKyXbqFoWWJ2HM-zDA

Or just a simple piece of tubing would do the job with holes for the hooks would be cheap and easy.

Leave enough slack in the canvas so any rain pools away from the door and drips down the side.

And speaking of Amazon ... flex track that can be cut to any size?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeaKVmhE-eCCnG8mdK5K6

Edited by sKiZo

• 9 months later...

After looking at as many forums and websites as I could, I decided to use one of our 10x14 tents we're not using anymore and convert it to work with the Titanium. It's not perfect, but the price was right. Cut one side of the down the middle of the screen. Put the fly over the liftgate. After using it one night we rehooked the fly to go under the liftgate. Much tighter fit using magnets to hold it in place.

Roxy 20.jpg

Roxy 21.jpg

Roxy 22.jpg

I'll see your truck tent ... and raise you one ...  ;-}

combi-camp-truck-tent.jpg

Entry is on the other side. Unit also has a zip on screen room there. Fun part is, it folds down to a 4x8 trailer. Walk in height and a couple minutes to set it up. Tricky part is lining up the van, but a couple flags about where the van door needs to go make it a lot easier. The entire base becomes a full size foam bed, complete with aero mattress pad. I'll leave the "roughing it" part to someone else ... 

PS - our Euro neighbors might be able to score one of these, but there was very limited import here to the colonies. I happened to luck out and find one that was stored inside most of it's life and saw little use, so it's in excellent shape and just needed a good coat of waterproofing on the canvas.

Be interesting to see what all everyone else has come up with.

Edited by sKiZo

• 3 months later...
On 1/20/2020 at 10:37 PM, dellk357 said:

Does anyone know of any U.S. companies that produce tents like the Reimo Trapez Cabin Tailgate Tent?  I want a simple sent up I can pull into a camping site, raise the back hatch, and set up the tent so I utilize the back of the transit for sleeping, and the back tent for extra space to work out of.

image.thumb.png.2b4f2b6e9d0e6421d0b9a116b444ba8a.png

This is it.
Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Dell Moore

I know this thread is a year old now but I own that tailgate tent you posted, Still not used it as I bought it at the Start of you know what, It comes in a small bag with the poles for the rear door of the tent which works as an awning,

Hope that helps,

John.