Sign in to follow this  
Don Ridley

Upgrade instrument cluster 2016

I am trying to upgrade the instrument cluster on my 2016 TC XLT. Most 2014-2017 TCs have a monochrome center display between the speedo and tach. Titanium trim vehicles usually have a larger, color LCD display. I thought I could use color LCD  Focus cluster and had limited success. The cluster worked, but it did not fit exactly. The bezels around the speedo and tach on the TC are very deep and this makes the Focus and Escape cluster incompatible. Too bad because these clusters are readily available at salvage yards for about $50.

Attached are photos of my Focus experiment and an actual 2016 Titanium trim TC cluster (from a vehicle on Autotrader).

So, I need to find a used cluster from a 2016 TC Titanium. I will work the internet and salvage company sites. If anyone has a lead on this very rare part, please let me know. Buying it from a dealer is not an option because it costs around $450 with a $300 core charge (another case where Ford does not want you to upgrade your vehicle).

I think the part number I am looking for is FT1Z-10849-F.

Plus, I am not 100% sure I can get the configuration file (IPC As Built) to work properly so I don't want to spend a fortune on something that won't work.

IMG_20190413_144412758_HDR.jpg

2016 IPC photo 3.jpg

I have a 2015 non-Titanium with the larger instrument-cluster display that you mention.  I believe that it is always present on any TC with the larger available center-console display (I forget the exact dimension)... and I seem to recall from my search days that the larger display goes along with the Nav option.    At any rate, there are definitely XLTs out there that have the display you're seeking, so I would say don't confine your search to just Titaniums.

I was happy to find my XLT with the Nav option, because although I seldom use the nav (I use my phone), I really prefer the look of the larger embedded instrument-cluster display.  Call me a sucker for a pretty face I guess...

P.S. how hard is it to pop the instrument cluster out... and do you think there is any possibility to jury-rig it to tilt further upward?  I can't see the top of the tach or speedo from my preferred driving height...

Thanks. That's great info. Sync3 seems to be the key option.

Removing the cluster is very easy. Pop the bottom trim piece by pulling straight toward you. There are tabs on each side going into the dash. Remove the top cover also by pulling (and slight wiggle) straight toward you. 2 tabs in the back by the windshield and 2 in front on the cluster. (4) t15 torx screws hold the cluster.

Looking at the cluster dimensions and doing some math, you will probably need to raise the top of the cluster 5mm. This will also raise the cover. Maybe you can shim the 4 anchor points enough. You may have to mess with the clips going into the cluster if the angle changes too much. But the cover won't be flush with the dash.

I need to ask a big favor....can you get the part number ( FT1T- xxxx) off the back of your cluster? This is key for my search. 

Tab slots on top are for the top cover. 

IMG_20190413_152416649.jpg

For 2016 and earlier it would be the MyTouch system instead of the Sync3 system.  I have it on my 2016.

Eddy,

I figured out the part number and found a cluster in North Carolina. It will be here next week.

FYI the PN is FT1T-10849-Ux where x=A to F. The "U" suffix designates the color LCD display. The monochrome displays have the same PN with a non-U suffix.