Jump to content
   
mgordon

New 2019 TC Wagon Titanium semi-conversion

Recommended Posts

Hi all!  I recently picked up a 2019 TC Titanium, and did a mini-conversion; basically, just removed all the seats and built a platform/bed for it.  So far I really like the car, though it has not exactly been smooth... My starter fuse died on the second day, and the van needed to be towed; and the towing eye was not included in the luggage compartment with the jack, so towing the car took all day.  Then my TPMS sensors didn't work, and now I am dealing with the un-disable-able interior alarm, which as a semi-camper is a real problem!  And we are just 9 days into ownership.  Anyways, here's the interior of the van and we're currently on our first road trip, sleeping in the back with 2 people and 3 dogs and there's just enough room!

IMG_20190204_124940.jpg

MVIMG_20190129_211416.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Very Nice, Looks  like the dogs are having a better time than you are. 

You can purchase the tow hook, so you will have one

Gen 2 tow hook from Ford spare parts

P/N: 6M2Z 17A954 A

List Price = $31.81

 

gallery_4138_142_60377.jpg

Edited by G B L

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on your purchase!  Hey look at the bright side, get all the bugs out now and it will be trouble free forever.   :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, davidparker said:

will be trouble free forever.  

I love an optimist !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mgordon said:

Hi all!  I recently picked up a 2019 TC Titanium, and did a mini-conversion; basically, just removed all the seats and built a platform/bed for it.  So far I really like the car, though it has not exactly been smooth... My starter fuse died on the second day, and the van needed to be towed; and the towing eye was not included in the luggage compartment with the jack, so towing the car took all day.  Then my TPMS sensors didn't work, and now I am dealing with the un-disable-able interior alarm, which as a semi-camper is a real problem!  And we are just 9 days into ownership.  Anyways, here's the interior of the van and we're currently on our first road trip, sleeping in the back with 2 people and 3 dogs and there's just enough room!

IMG_20190204_124940.jpg

MVIMG_20190129_211416.jpg

OMG , you got to be kidding me , what a nightmare . Well the 2019's do have a lot of changes to them including the engine and transmission so there will be bugs .    I assume you took advantage of Ford's towing service since they offer roadside assistance for quite a while after purchase.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, herb said:

 I assume you took advantage of Ford's towing service since they offer roadside assistance for quite a while after purchase.  

 

I wish... When I called, since it was so new they didn't know I owned the car yet, and setting it up over the phone turned out to be way too much of a hassle, so we went with AAA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Dude, your tow truck smells like weed!"

 

"Uh, yeah......uh, you want some?"

 

 

IMG_20190205_171627649.jpg

IMG_20190205_171700735.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mgordon - Great post on your first excursion. It didn't take you very long to get the van setup. Good work.

 

Sorry to hear about your van problems. Crap. Hopefully you'll get that all sorted out and it will be smooth sailing going forward.

 

Car camping in the winter must be cold at night. You have three dogs, so I've got a potential name for your new van. How about "Three Dog Night". :puppy_kiss:

Maybe you're too young to remember this band from the 60's/70's but there's some folklore to the origin of the name.

 

Below is a thread regarding towing the TC and references the tow hook as GBL posted above. If you buy one you will never need towing again.

If you have a trailer hitch the rear bumper doesn't have a socket for the tow hook. Just the front bumper.

 

https://fordtransitconnectforum.com/topic/3188-towing-the-transit-connect/?tab=comments#comment-9497

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats! Your TC looks great. Any other mod plans in the future?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2019 at 7:52 PM, mgordon said:

the van needed to be towed; and the towing eye was not included in the luggage compartment with the jack

 

 

 

 

There was another thread about that part.  I recall someone mention that it's not included with cars sold in USA.  

 

But what I did get, and you should have it in your car, is the funnel.  Part No. 8U5A-17B068-AD, 8U5Z-17B068-B

 

51Go62fZ0AL._SL1500_.jpg81mqJbMAX1L._SL1500_.jpg

Which appears as if the part is interchangeable with a "SheWee"

41zqeMWMAfL._SL1000_.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2019 at 11:47 PM, windguy said:

How about "Three Dog Night". :puppy_kiss:

He maybe too young but I am not!

Band name origin

The official commentary included in the CD set Celebrate: The Three Dog Night Story, 1964–1975 states that vocalist Danny Hutton's girlfriend, actress June Fairchild (best known as the "Ajax Lady" from the Cheech and Chong movie Up In Smoke) suggested the name after reading a magazine article about indigenous Australians, in which it was explained that on cold nights they would customarily sleep in a hole in the ground while embracing a dingo, a native species of feral dog. On colder nights they would sleep with two dogs and, if the night were freezing, it was a "three dog night".[3]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The funnel was included with mine. Did you check the “secret” compartment in the back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you know how hard that would be, to capture three wild dingo, bandage them completely like a mummy so that they don't move, kick, scratch, or bite, then cuddle with them in a shallow grave?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2019 at 9:47 PM, windguy said:

Car camping in the winter must be cold at night. You have three dogs, so I've got a potential name for your new van. How about "Three Dog Night". :puppy_kiss:

Maybe you're too young to remember this band from the 60's/70's but there's some folklore to the origin of the name.

 

Below is a thread regarding towing the TC and references the tow hook as GBL posted above. If you buy one you will never need towing again.

If you have a trailer hitch the rear bumper doesn't have a socket for the tow hook. Just the front bumper.

 

https://fordtransitconnectforum.com/topic/3188-towing-the-transit-connect/?tab=comments#comment-9497

 

We just got back! It was a bit cold... Down to 10deg at night.  It was manageable with sleeping bags and blankets, though i may need to figure out some sort of ventilation if opening the windows is not an option.

 

The only additional work I have planned is to rig up some sort of bike transport system.  I have a lot of bikes!  I went and ordered the towing hook - and I did have the funnel, though I was a bit confused about it at first.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mgordon said:

The only additional work I have planned is to rig up some sort of bike transport system.  I have a lot of bikes!

 

Hitch receiver tongue weight is about 200 pounds.  You could get away with 2 bikes.  They will still wobble & bounce, but you won't notice because you're driving.  Just other people on the road who will  think that the bikes are falling off.  

 

You already have the rails.  Rooftop on crossbars is an option.  Just remember not to drive into any garages.  Great if you don't mind climbing up there, and your bikes aren't too heavy for you to lift over your head to carry.  You'll probably want a small folding step stool, or a 6' ladder.  You may even be able to fit 2 bikes, plus a rooftop cargo box, then tow a small trailer.  

Fans of classic camper vans will flip over the Dinky Dub travel trailer by Dub Box USA. Weighing a mere 1,000 pounds—super light for a tow-able caravan—this vintage-inspired RV is perfect for those looking for something larger than a standard teardrop camper. Equipped with an expanding kitchen, queen-sized sleeping area, and plenty of storage space, the Dinky Dub also offers additional options like an awning over the hatchback and portable water tank. Base price: $13,000.

 

 

 

1 hour ago, mgordon said:

- and I did have the funnel, though I was a bit confused about it at first.

 

That funnel can baffle the mind.  They say you need that funnel if you plan on refueling from a canister.  I believe them.  I haven't tried it.  Don't plan on running out of fuel.  But if you are completely out of fuel, on the side of the road, then you will need that funnel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do have the trailer tow package and a hitch rack already.  But that's for other people's bikes.  My bikes go inside the van, upright, with both wheels on.  First road trip in the books, and it was great though I am excited to sleep in a bed with heat.

 

 

IMG_20190207_080637.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the converted trailers but all look tongue heavy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×