Sign in to follow this  
petermbooth

Fan becomes LOUD at 3 and 4

Hi all,

I'm a new Transit Connect owner and I'm trying to figure out if there's a problem with my fan.  When the van is turned to 0,1, or 2, it makes almost NO sound. When I turn it to 3, however, it feels like a new/different fan kicks in and it is very loud and actually vibrates the steering wheel. And it makes a low thrumming noise (almost like the fan itself is maybe vibrating on its mount)

I'm wondering if this is just normal for these vans. (2018 TC Cargo with the long wheelbase)

I don't wan't to take it to Ford to have it repaired if they're just going to say, "That's what these things sound like"

I wouldn't be an expert opinion, but that's just what my 2016 cargo van fan sounds like. 

Yep, my 2018 is loud above 2.  Doesn't vibrate the steering wheel, but definitely sounds like a different fan.  I would check if the vibration is the same with the different vents open (i.e. floor, defrost, dash).  

A noisy fan on high is somewhat normal.........If it is vibrating the steering wheel on 3-4 and/or a low pitch rumbling noise is coming from within the dash it may be another problem. Mine did that very same thing and it was a mouse nest that got sucked inside the heater.

Edited by desert_connect

I will join the group on this topic.  Ford spent enough time on moving the air and no time on the airflow and fan noise !

Same with a first gen.  My 2010 is quiet a 0-2.  3 is loud, but the radio drowns it out fine.  4 is loud to the point that the radio has to be louder than I want to drown it out.  I don't use 4 if it can be avoided.

I had the loud thrumming sound and was getting close to ripping the whole dash apart... when It magically stopped thrumming at high fan speeds.

Now it is just normal air noise, no problem.

Don't know what stopped the thrumming but it was unbearable.

now I just need to track down the rough road rattle coming from the far rear.

Whooshing and whining is par for the course... thrumming and vibrating the steering wheel sounds like a foreign object(s) caught in the blower wheel.  I haven't had mine apart yet, so no advice to give on how to check... see Desert_Connect's post above.