Ford Transit Connect Forum

Which One Of You Is Driving This One?

3 hours ago, jrm223 said:

My first thought was self-driving van, until I saw the pic with a driver having hands on the wheel, lol. Maybe the computer is still in "learning" mode while a human drives? haha

The LIDARs are off. It couldn't drive itself blind.

On 3/6/2017 at 0:48 AM, Fifty150 said:

Ever try just wearing a hard hat lined with tin foil?  

Indeed I have. But sometimes I just want to remove the hat and relax, so the shed lining is easier.

On a serious note. When I worked at the prison we had an Inmate who always had to have his foil hat with him and on. He really did not like it when we had to remove it to do a search. I worked on the mental health unit and there was never a dull moment at work. And with these self driving cars, I may just wind up there with them one day.  Just crazy not having a driver in a car.  

I would suspect that the car of the future will have some sort of auto-pilot feature, which will help reduce accidents from human error. With any luck, those vehicle's will also be able to reduce gridlock and keep the flow of traffic moving, because stop & go is typically caused by people reacting and braking.  A self driving car will not slow to gawk at roadside distractions like accidents.  Computerized vehicles should also be able to use real time traffic sensors to choose alternative routing, so a self driving car will detour around heavy traffic, as opposed to adding another car to the traffic jam.  A self driving car won't swerve or weave simply because you've had too much to drink.  

Now back to wearing my hard hat with a tin foil lining.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_foil_hat

2 hours ago, BSUPC said:

Indeed I have. But sometimes I just want to remove the hat and relax, so the shed lining is easier.

On a serious note. When I worked at the prison we had an Inmate who always had to have his foil hat with him and on. He really did not like it when we had to remove it to do a search. I worked on the mental health unit and there was never a dull moment at work. And with these self driving cars, I may just wind up there with them one day.  Just crazy not having a driver in a car.  

Here at the local public hospital, there is a psych ward.  Police on patrol will have to physically fight with, and subdue then handcuff someone who is acting out violently.  Then they bring them to the psych ward, take the handcuffs off, and leave that violent combative person unrestrained with a bunch of nursing assistants who are not anywhere near as big or strong as the cops, nor are they equipped with any weapons.  Sure, they could give him a sedative.  But they'll have to fight him, overpower him, and hold him down in order to do it.  Imagine when the cops leave, and they're simply locked in there with a bunch of violent, crazy people.  At least you guys in the correctional facilities have some muscle, and plenty of restraint devices.

• 2 months later...

Be careful for what you wish for!  As we head into a centralized, big brother dystopian world, these cars will go where big brother wants you to go, non necessarily where you want to go.  Your behavior has been questionable so it's time for your car to shuffle you down to your local police station for questioning.  Got an attitude?  We'll take care of that. :worship: