Jump to content
  • Custom Search


Recommended Posts

My rear wheels are bending outward...is there any sort of fix for this...thanks...

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, I can't see the wheels in the photo. 

 

There are rear suspension components you can try. You could also look at airbags.

 

The real problem could be weight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Sorry, I can't see the wheels in the photo. 

 

There are rear suspension components you can try. You could also look at airbags.

 

The real problem could be weight. 

Had it up in the air at a shop on Friday...they were saying I may need something to make the wheels go straight ...when i shot the photo today was trying to get it so the wheel is slightly tilted outward...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LostlnTransit said:

Jimrokfish

For what it's worth, the rear wheels do have a outward or negative camber to them for stability and traction as added by the factory during assembly. So unless you're concerned with this, you'll need to have the alignment checked which includes the camber adjustment. Also, if you have an excess amount of weight in the van, you'll need to add stiffer springs and upgrade the tires and may be even upgrading the wheels, this could also mean upgrading the structs/shocks.

Good to know...thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jimrokfish said:

Good to know...thanks

 

EC961E17-FEFE-4088-8E09-46147AA06331.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LostlnTransit said:

Jimrokfish

For what it's worth, the rear wheels do have a outward or negative camber to them for stability and traction as added by the factory during assembly. So unless you're concerned with this, you'll need to have the alignment checked which includes the camber adjustment. Also, if you have an excess amount of weight in the van, you'll need to add stiffer springs and upgrade the tires and may be even upgrading the wheels, this could also mean upgrading the structs/shocks.

Good to know...thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jimrokfish said:

a shop on Friday...they were saying I may need something

 

You have a lot of weight in the back. SumoSprings or Timbren could work.  Or you can look at airbags.  Look at the rear suspension, and then look at what's available.  Airbags can always be installed by a good custom shop fabricator. 

 

https://youtu.be/iwX7XwtvuXA

 

 

 

 

 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwX7XwtvuXA

 

image.thumb.png.9fe4a6f8ff505d07b199174d59703b29.png

 

 

 

image.thumb.png.766cf5dfcf1d728b61000a80a3bc6ca7.pngimage.png.ed6691580b7d1036fab275089a2200e5.png

KIMG2042.JPG.c9969709fafdc77e1a51500adfc9324f.JPGKIMG2041.JPG.fbebec3e8cb967e962c3177efa18ab7c.JPG

m-20140519-coil-sumosprings-transit-connect-1.jpg

 

 

 

 

Edited by Fifty150

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jimrokfish said:

 

EC961E17-FEFE-4088-8E09-46147AA06331.jpeg

 

Holy crap. Who screwed your number plate on?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2021 at 5:07 AM, mrtn said:

 

Holy crap. Who screwed your number plate on?

 

 

That's how the American-sized plates fit on all these vans. The mounting holes in the door are right for Euro-size, but too low for American-size. I've seen a picture or two before of someone that made new holes in their license plate to raise it up higher, lol. Apparently there's also a plastic license plate adapter sold on Amazon that will mount to the Euro-holes and then raise the American plate higher up by an inch or two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, jrm223 said:

 

That's how the American-sized plates fit on all these vans. The mounting holes in the door are right for Euro-size, but too low for American-size. I've seen a picture or two before of someone that made new holes in their license plate to raise it up higher, lol. Apparently there's also a plastic license plate adapter sold on Amazon that will mount to the Euro-holes and then raise the American plate higher up by an inch or two. 

 

We have a local manufacturer for universal plate holder which hits all possible screw hole configurations. I have it in mine.

 

 

Screenshot 2021-04-29 at 21.30.47.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And you can always use 3M VHB tape to stick one on however you like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jrm223 said:

 

That's how the American-sized plates fit on all these vans. The mounting holes in the door are right for Euro-size, but too low for American-size. I've seen a picture or two before of someone that made new holes in their license plate to raise it up higher, lol. Apparently there's also a plastic license plate adapter sold on Amazon that will mount to the Euro-holes and then raise the American plate higher up by an inch or two. 

 

 

rear license plate 03a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ford thought Americans wanted the plates to sag....

 

 

08a01a2efacc0c2d6260cfe4bd19c53b-2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, mrtn said:

We have a local manufacturer for universal plate holder which hits all possible screw hole configurations. I have it in mine.

We have an old license plate we drilled holes in the center of and then used the holes that are now in the correct place!

 

As for the camber change the rear suspension is non adjustable and if there was a camber change it would take a extreme over load to make it and adding extra springs or Timbrens would not help the camber change issue.  If the camber is changing then the only thing that would help is to heave something out of the van.

image.png

Edited by G B L

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, G B L said:

only thing that would help is to heave something out

 

 

With a rear wheel drive van or truck, you want the weight over the rear axle.  On the Transit Connect, with the configuration the same, where you have most of your stuff behind the sliding doors.  Unfortunately, it's not a rear wheel drive truck.  With the Transit Connect, the same amount of weight would be better distributed evenly along the floorboard, between the front and rear wheels.  Sort of the same way 5 passengers are in the middle, with the weight of only 2 passengers above and behind the rear wheels.  Is there any way to reposition your equipment or tool racks to shift some of the weight forward towards the middle of the van?

Edited by Fifty150

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jrm223 said:

holes in the door are right for Euro-size, but too low for American-size

 

 

That could change with North American production.  Mexico uses the same size plate as USA.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mounted an aluminum plate with 3/8" spacers that's properly centered then put the tag on that.

 

58779122_10219937843301473_6310071157060009984_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

shift some of the weight forward towards the middle of the van?

If there is enough weight in that van to bend that axle , shifting it around will not help.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, BBJ said:

I mounted an aluminum plate with 3/8" spacers that's properly centered then put the tag on that.

 

58779122_10219937843301473_6310071157060009984_n.jpg

 

Hmmmm. That's a good idea! I've got some old license plates that I could use, rather than fabing something from plate.

 

My plate is already in one of these to protect the body paint. Amazon.com: XCLPF Silicone Black License Plate Frame Covers 2 Pack- Front and Back Car Plate Bracket Holders. Rust-Proof, Rattle-Proof, Weather-Proof ( Black): Automotive I might be able to squeeze both plates into it for a neater look...

Edited by BSJBSJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

test

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×