Ford Transit Connect Forum

91H vs 97H load rating

Willygee

2016 TC XLT (non commercial registered) 32k miles will need tires soon.Spec'ing out Pirelli Cinturato tires which some forum members like . My ?'s...will the 91H load rated tire ride smoother than the 97H. Van is for personal use(2 adults 320lbs total and never exceeding 300lbs cargo) and no trailer hitch. Tire stores will mount the lower rating if i bring in wheels only..legal implications which i understand. Advice appreciated

97H.PNG

91H.PNG

Your decision.  About 250 lbs per tire load rating = about 1,000 lbs total difference.  

The difference between the curb weight, and the GVWR, is about 1,500 lbs.  The math is there.  OEM specification is to use tires with a combined load rating of about 6,400 lbs, for a van which has a GVWR  of about 5,400 lbs.   Using a lower weight rated tire may create a complication.  The lesser priced tire is also a little more narrow, though that probably wound't hurt much in the grand scheme of things.  You probably won't get a blowout the minute you drive away from the tire installer.  You should be able to get away with it.  4, 91 load rating tires just about adds up to your van's GVWR.  

It looks like Amazon only has 3 tires in stock, for the smaller tire.  That would be even more interesting.  

Others will have valid opinions on why you should use the correct tire, if not upgrade.  Some will think it's not such a good idea to downgrade.  I think that you should buy whatever tire, which has 4 tires in stock.  Not mix & match, especially with different sizes.  

tc tire.jpg

With Ford's history of overloaded, under inflated exploding tires and vehicles upside down off the road, if I was thinking of making a change in the recommended tire load ratings, I certainly wouldn't be looking at any tire rated lower than their recommendation!  -  What's to be gained?  We all know the downside.  There are plenty of good tires to choose from in the proper size and load rating . . . . why look at any which are not rated for the vehicle??  ?

Don

31 minutes ago, Willygee said:

Excellent advice as always. Tire Warehouse recommended the Yokohama Tornante over the Pirellis...anyone run these?

I would go with the 97H rating and not deviate. I agree with other comments that the cost differential isn't worth the doubt you might have over the life of the tire.

The Pirelli Cinturato Strada's that I recently got at at America's Tire I believe is the same as the Cinturato P7 that you mentioned. Difference in tread pattern is minimal with the same 70,000 mileage rating. Cost should be around $119 per tire. I'm sure there are other similar tire models to choose from and the differences are negligible.

Regarding the Yokohama Tornante, did you see this discussion linked below?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4999387/yokohama-tornante

FORUM COMMENTS

They started off as the Yokohama Avid TRZ, and were available just about everywhere. Then were discontinued as such and became the Tornante which are available now at limited stores. I have seen this before where a tire gets discontinued as a mainstream tire, and becomes a private label model.

THE TORNANTE IS AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY AT THE FOLLOWING TIRE DEALERSHIPS.
Autotire
Cheshire Tire
Curry's Auto
Ken Towery
Monro Muffler/Brake
Mr Tire
The Tire Choice
Tire Barn
Tire Factory
Tire Warehouse

Edited by windguy

Tires, brakes, steering... not a place to cut corners.  Just say no and move on.  Life will be simpler and, in a dozen ways you'll probably never know about, safer for you and everyone else.

P.S.  My van came with the 97H Cinturatos and they seem fine... quiet, good grip, zero balance or roundness issues.  They compare favorably to the premium Michelins I have on all my other cars, which coming from me (I like gooood tires), is pretty high praise.

Edited by Eddy Kilowatt

Save money on wiper blades, motor oil &  filter, ATF.  

If you want to save money, there are less expensive tires in the correct size, with the correct load rating.  I have always bought less expensive tires.  But never in a lower load or speed rating.  

Save money some other way. Buying a lower rates tire is not smart. I am not a fan.

On 8/27/2019 at 2:07 PM, windguy said:

I would go with the 97H rating and not deviate. I agree with other comments that the cost differential isn't worth the doubt you might have over the life of the tire.

The Pirelli Cinturato Strada's that I recently got at at America's Tire I believe is the same as the Cinturato P7 that you mentioned. Difference in tread pattern is minimal with the same 70,000 mileage rating. Cost should be around $119 per tire. I'm sure there are other similar tire models to choose from and the differences are negligible.

Regarding the Yokohama Tornante, did you see this discussion linked below?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4999387/yokohama-tornante

FORUM COMMENTS

They started off as the Yokohama Avid TRZ, and were available just about everywhere. Then were discontinued as such and became the Tornante which are available now at limited stores. I have seen this before where a tire gets discontinued as a mainstream tire, and becomes a private label model.

THE TORNANTE IS AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY AT THE FOLLOWING TIRE DEALERSHIPS.
Autotire
Cheshire Tire
Curry's Auto
Ken Towery
Monro Muffler/Brake
Mr Tire
The Tire Choice
Tire Barn
Tire Factory
Tire Warehouse

Some disappointed customers on the Yokohama website..

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/tornante