Sign in to follow this  
i86hotdogs

2016 TC Cargo Aftermarket Sound System

Hello everyone. I am brand new here, and have just recently acquired a 2016 TC cargo. I am sure we all are aware of the mediocre quality of the sound system the factory set up is; so I would like to upgrade it. I have two 12" sub-woofers installed into a wood box, and an Alpine 1000w amplifier that used to be installed in an old vehicle of mine. I have the wiring for everything as well, including the power, ground, speaker, and audio wiring. I do not have an aftermarket head unit. I was hoping there would be a possibility to keep the factory unit installed. Currently looking for direction in this job. Whether it be instructions to disassemble the front dash, or a good place to run the power cable to the battery. I plan on mounting the subs behind the river seats, so the length of wire won't be obnoxiously long. Like I said, any help would be greatly appreciated; and I am looking forward to becoming a part of this community. 

The dealer informed me this can be done, but they had to refer me to an outside independent installer and told me I would likely lose some of the control functionality on the steering wheel.

I was shocked to discover, after purchasing, that there was no easy way to connect satellite radio! Seems that today, if what you want is not already on the vehicle when you buy it, it is very difficult to add aftermarket electronics, essentially because the necessary interfaces aren't there. Maybe this is not the case with other vehicles. In any case, it was too difficult and I didn't want to lose my steering wheel controls, so I gave up on it. After a while I accepted that the interior road noise was so overpowering that I would have to crank up the volume of ANY add-on to such a level that what is left of my hearing would be compromised (you probably don't worry about that unless you are my age).

This opens up an even bigger can of worms.....considering how to noise-insulate the interior so you can hear your music (and everything else). I gave up on that partway through. It was all just too overwhelming for a vehicle I would not own any longer than 5 years. There are some great things about the TC. And some not-so-great. I would like to see a cargo version with interior insulation and paneling for those of us who value the space and don't need the seats, but would appreciate a higher level of comfort.

Fortunately, my steering wheel does not have any functions besides the cruise control. I also do not own or desire satellite radio. Therefore those issues will already be dismissed in this job. My apologies, I should have mentioned that in the original post. So I'm going to infer that with my set up, it is possible to keep the factory head unit. Now to find a way to run a wire through the firewall, and get into that dashboard...

I have plans later on to insulate the bare walls of the rear in the future. I've already researched a few brands like Dynamat and Hushmat. That, and a long list of other things I would like to do.

Browse and search the forum. Several have upgraded speakers and sound systems. I posted info on connecting power to large loads. The basic Sync and Sync3 head units are made by Sony. Install a quality amp (that accepts line inputs) and/or DSP and the sound is great. Only reason to upgrad head unit is for custom features and display.

Finally, there are some discussions on sound deadening, but more info can be found on car audio forums.

Check out the Audicontrol products to convert your line level inputs if necessary.

Have fun and welcome.

Subwoofers are for bass.  Low range.  You will need a crossover unit.  Don't simply feed all your frequencies into an amplifier, then expect it all to sound good through subwoofers.  It just doesn't work that way.  

Good to know, Fifty. Audio and electronics are probably my weakest point in automotive. In the past, I've simply wired in an amp and subs into an aftermarket head unit and called it a day. I was shopping around for 3-way speakers for up front as well. This is why I posted this question to this forum. I am far from an expert on anything! Thanks again for the insight.

Try Crutchfield. They can give you some advice on the best audio setup based on your needs and budget.