Sign in to follow this  
JonBowerbank

Wood Panel Insert for 2012 FTC Cargo Walls - Suggestions

Hello all!

I'm finally able to get around to putting up some paneling in my van, after a couple of ideas and prototypes that fell flat.  All I really want to do is put of some insulated and noise cancelling panels inserted at the point of the cargo walls where windows would otherwise be.  Photo attached

I've already glued in some insulation, which has already deadened A LOT of the noise.  And I have a couple ideas for how to securely and  fasten the wood panels.  L-brackets into the body, then lining up holes in the panel to the brackets for threading some stainless steel bolts.  Leaving the panels still easily removable.  Or I could use some standard plastic body retainers to clip the panels into set brackets.

But I've yet to see any simpler way other than throwing them up and screwing retainer blocks into the body on each side of the panel to hold it in.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers

Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 8.55.09 PM.png

I would probably make a fitted panel out of 1/4" plywood, seal the edges with something like body filler and then attach it with short Tek screws into the flange around the opening.  Measure the screws to make sure they are not long enough to poke a hole in the outside panel.  If the Tek screws are all too long, then I would drill it and use sheet metal screws.  Easy to put in, easy to take out if you want to, and only a few small holes where you can't see them unless you are looking for them with the panels out.

I've used these style of nuts with springs (intended for use in channel struts) in other applications where I need a nut in a spot where I can't get a wrench on it. You might find them usable in the slots circled in the photo above depending on width. The nuts are usually available in the electrical supply area of big box hardware stores since the channel strut is often used to mount electrical conduit.

https://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Betts-GIDDS-461512-ZA1003-8EG-10/dp/B000BPHMQE/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1543976744&sr=8-15&keywords=strut+channel+nut

channel nut.jpg

Edited by DonShockley

I know it sounds silly, but velcro (hoop and loop) has been used on spacecraft.  if properly applied it can be really strong. 

If this will be permanent, and you will never even attempt to take it off, then all bets are off.  Epoxy could create a permanent bond.  Rivets will give you that cool, military look.  Think about rivet nuts.  U-Clips or Clip Nuts could also work.

Image result for rivetRelated imageRelated imageRelated imageImage result for rivetImage result for rivet nutRelated imageImage result for rivet nutImage result for u-clipImage result for u-clipRelated image

Cross nuts might do the trick. I haven't used them in my van but I'm sure that'll happen soon enough. About to use them in another project that has nothing to do with the van.

https://faroutride.com/crossnut