Ford Transit Connect Forum

CARGO LIGHT REMOVAL

I need to remove the cargo light as part of my van mods.

Anyone have any tips on how to easily remove that?

I tried semi-lightly prying it out using plastic trim removal tools but no go. This was around the black bezel.

Also tried to pop out the lens as there appears to be a small tab on each side. No go either.

I'd rather remove it in one piece in case I want to reuse later so looking for help.

The cargo light opening on the driver's side shows a notch at the bottom of the cutout so I assume both sides have the same cutout.

Thanks!

P1060328.JPG

P1060329.JPG

Mine didn't have that extra trim piece on it, but I have a base model. I just had to squeeze in the two sides on my lens (by hand) and it popped right out. Yours looks like the LED version whereas I had regular incandescent bulb. I'm guessing you tried putting like a putty knife or something under the bottom side where that notch is? I'd think push straight up at that spot to release the lock.

2 hours ago, jrm223 said:

Mine didn't have that extra trim piece on it, but I have a base model. I just had to squeeze in the two sides on my lens (by hand) and it popped right out. Yours looks like the LED version whereas I had regular incandescent bulb. I'm guessing you tried putting like a putty knife or something under the bottom side where that notch is? I'd think push straight up at that spot to release the lock.

thanks jrm223.

yes, this is the LED cargo light version - paid extra for that - but can't stand it being on for close to 10 min after I open a door. Plus I want to put a side panel in that area so it's in the way. I did try using a plastic trim tool shoving it up in that area but no luck. Maybe I'm not getting high enough with the tool to catch the tab. I figured I'd ask for help before I damage it. I'm very good at destroying things.

Edited by windguy

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but it looks like you need to remove the lens part first. That may allow access to the housing to remove it. It almost looks like a PCB under the lens but can't really tell. Maybe you have to take that out too. I don't think mine looks like that.

25 minutes ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

I don't think mine looks like that.

Nope, mine is like jrm223 describes. Pops right out with a gentle squeeze. I want to rewire this light through a switch to disable it or to turn it and it alone on when I want it on. At least I can turn the dome light completely off.

6 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but it looks like you need to remove the lens part first. That may allow access to the housing to remove it. It almost looks like a PCB under the lens but can't really tell. Maybe you have to take that out too. I don't think mine looks like that.

Thanks OSF, you are spot on. The lens does need to come out first. I came to the same conclusion since that ridge around the body cutout would make it hard to slip something against. Appreciate the input from you guys. Gave me the confidence to pry away. Each side of the lens has a tab on it. Used a small bladed screwdriver to press it and then it finally popped after a few attempts. The black bezel was held on with numerous tabs. Put some electrical tape around the orange connector opening and put it back in the hole. I don't think I'll be using this light connection as I plan to connect new LED lights to a switch that's not door activated. I may use the cargo light in another location. We'll see.

P1060341.JPG

P1060342.JPG

P1060344.JPG

Edited by windguy

• 1 year later...

I have the same LED lamp. My only complaint is I wish there was a manual on-off switch. Otherwise, it has been a great option for me, bright and useful loading in musical gear late at night after a gig. I have to close and open the door again after it times out. I may go forward with aftermarket LED lights that can be switched on & off, there are many options available. Search LED cargo lights on Amazon.

@amish soldier and Zalienz - I share the same sentiments about the cargo light. I too paid extra for the LED version.

No switch and having it stay on for 10 minutes after I close the door was too much for me. Plus in my case, the location wasn't optimal.

As posted earlier, I took the cargo light out and later put up a side panel covering that spot.

I installed four LED lights wired together and can control them with two switches.

I have a hanging rack in my van but you can easily mount these lights in other locations.

The lights come with two sided tape and a pair of brackets with a single screw each.

One switch located in the left rear. The second on the driver's side slider on the right side of the panel.

The switches are not wired as a 3-way setup, which wasn't really necessary for my use but there are some times when I could have used that option.

I really like having the ability to control the lights from two locations. 

The amount of light seems just about right for my needs. Nothing fancy but very practical.

Link below for the LED lights I got.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CJ634KK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cargo LED lights - lr.JPG

Rear Switch Panel - lr.JPG

Side sw panel - lr.JPG

Edited by windguy

Windguy,

That's a sweet setup. Exactly what I was thinking about doing. I don't need the hanging rack, but I want to add a insulated ceiling, likely plastic that I can flush mount the led light strips to and have them switchable like yours. Thank you for sharing.

• 2 months later...

I didn't like the incandescent lights in my 2013 TC XLT.   

I 1st tried to use some direct replacement led lamps, but the color tone was horrible, They were an icy cold bluish light, made the inside of my van look like a freezer, and to boot they didn't provide enough light like I wanted in my van. when it's dark out, I WANNA SEE.

So being into electronics as I am, i decided to gut the stock lights, and convert them into led lights that were bright and of a pure white, bout the same color as a cool white fluorescent lamp. It was a little tricky to get it all to mount properly, But it worked. I got the rear, middle light installed, The front light i just converted an old RV style fluorescent fixture into led as well. It looks really great when all lit up. My lights don't stay on for 10 min like everyone else has reported, they go out after a min or so. But if the door is left open for over 15 min, they will turn off as well, even if i have the lights turned on manually via the  ( door-off-on ) switch.

• 3 years later...
On 4/25/2018 at 11:38 AM, windguy said:

thanks jrm223.

yes, this is the LED cargo light version - paid extra for that - but can't stand it being on for close to 10 min after I open a door. Plus I want to put a side panel in that area so it's in the way. I did try using a plastic trim tool shoving it up in that area but no luck. Maybe I'm not getting high enough with the tool to catch the tab. I figured I'd ask for help before I damage it. I'm very good at destroying things.

Hey Windguy, do you remember the part number for these LED lights that you paid for?

I've had a lot of troubles getting myself an LED replacement for the cargo lights in the back...

The stock light in the back was an incandescent design. The light was not strong enough for me as I needed a lot of light in the back, I use my van for service work and it was just too weak for seeing a lot when I initially pull the van doors open.

I've tried several versions of drop-in LED bulb replacements, all of them have eventually failed. It's like the boards or bulbs are made too cheaply to be able to handle whatever the van is putting out voltage/amperage wise. Eventually all of the bulbs I put in would fail within a 4 month period and start blinking like crazy. The bulbs would also get incredibly hot for some reason too. I've used these bulbs in other vehicles before and they never got that hot.

My last solution to try a workaround, I got an LED board to fit the plastic housing, and hot glued a small 12v DC PC fan on the back of the board. It's supposed to be a "whisper quiet" fan but it ain't. The fan makes a vibration sound that is really loud but at least my boards never got cooked after I did that solution.

After seeing your post, it would seem that this is the proper kind of LED unit to have in my van and the large heat sink suggests that Ford knows that heat was an issue for some reason. So if you know the part number, I will order it from Ford.
Thanks so much for the posting and all the photos btw.

Edited by TC2014
wrong username tagged

Heat kills LED lights. This is a problem for all types of LED bulbs, especially those that have to fit a format made for incandescent lights. I also found that the super bright LEDS that fit  T10 (bayonet type) sockets failed if they were on for long periods of time. The socket format does not allow for a large heat sink. I have replaced all the LED bulbs I installed for parking and brake lights because they did not last. 

The OEM cargo light definitely is made for constant use. I installed some high quality puck lights that also work well. The key is to buy high quality, not mega-cheap ones.

Armacost Lighting 213412 LED Puck Light, Soft White https://a.co/d/fiZbHZY

I also have the circuit board light array and so far it is still working, but it is only on for brief periods.

@TC2014 - Sorry, don't have the part number handy of the LED cargo light, but will see if I can find the part stored in the garage.

I must say the removal of that stock light and the addition of three LED bars on the ceiling was a really nice upgrade. 

I hated having the old light staying on for something like 10 minutes after a door was open. The position of the light is also bad being on one side, which ended up being blocked by a hanging rack I added to the ceiling.

Highly recommend adding something like this rather than the stock light.

@TC2014 - I found the LED light I had removed and see two part numbers, one on the bezel and one on the light fixture, shown below.

The links will get you started and you can hone in on where best to source it. Ebay has lots of options if you do a deep dive.

Also attached some pics if that helps. Good luck!

BEZEL - DT11-13733-ABW

https://www.autopartsprime.com/ford/frame-interior-lamp/oe-dt1z13733ab

LED LAMP FIXTURE - BK2V-13776-AB (that might be a mfg part number. Ford's p/n might be similar with some letter changes)

https://knobtowncycle.com/product/ford-motor-co-transit-interior-dome-led-light-bk2v-13776-ab/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-2015-2020-Ford-Transit-LED-Interior-Dome-Light-Cargo-Area-BK2V-13776-AB-/114967513859?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c4#viTabs_0

1424881481_LEDCargolight01.thumb.jpg.e15ce4ff9f16adc9d1e0906178f12e9c.jpg1170665544_LEDCargolight02.thumb.jpg.b122cea320d1c4a285c10eeb4f6d37e6.jpg737946874_LEDCargolight03.thumb.jpg.fd1ecc508ab1f1bf755b8f695bb8e6fe.jpg2142962841_LEDCargolight04.thumb.jpg.65c980af32d643a9c6433347b6487b17.jpg1698056606_LEDCargolight05.thumb.jpg.c97d203bbb13ffd3e914632b54ff68ad.jpg