Ford Transit Connect Forum

Wheel Size Question

MichaelD

One thing about the lowrider hydraulics, they're interesting. Matter of fact that's the good thing that all these mods share, a little (or lot) creativity. Even though I may not like what people do, even if I might think its ugly, I can still appreciate creativity. Some really do go over the top.

Over the top?  The paint?  The interior?  The girls with big hair?  

Those guys are at another level of being car guys.  A Jay Leno level, and then some.

Lowrider hydraulics sounds just like what you need.

You need "front & back, and side to side".

'

• 2 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:52 AM, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

I liked these Jaguar wheels so much I got a second set. The pictures in the ad were pretty bad and the price was so good I figured the wheels were in really crappy shape and I would just use them for "winter wheels". Turns out they are in great shape and I cannot bring myself to put snow tires on them. Choices of something "interesting" out there to put on them are extremely limited however.

So I think I will use the Toyo tires, retire the Volvo wheels since they are only 16x7s and find them a good home.

Hopefully I'll get these on the van tomorrow. Got some work to do today changing a water pump on an old 94 POS Accord I have been rehabbing for my youngest. What should be an easy job is far from it thanks to some pencil-neck engineer who decided the water pump should reside BEHIND the timing belt.

image.png.247b489c8b59c8486516d955834e9d92.png

Following Volvo with 225/55R16 Radar tires setup was donated to a 2003 Mercury Sable. Really perked up that old grocery-getter.

image.png.71710c1df0c862ec7897c6cb6fe1782c.png

• 8 months later...
On 5/14/2018 at 11:14 AM, Beta Don said:

I'm sorry, but huge wide tires on the back of any FWD vehicle makes about as much sense to me as the HUGE wings you see bolted to the trunk on some of the little FWD Japanese imports  -  Do they really need all that extra traction out back??  Now, if you can just add a little 'fart can' muffler to your TC (and maybe a wing too?) you'll be all set  :clapping:

The answer is yes. Regardless of the drive of the wheels, you still need the rear under control. That is handled with tires and aerodynamics. The weight distribution may not be as significant as rwd or even rear engined vehicles like Porsche, but with enough momentum through a turn, that rear can kick out uncontrollably. Professional race teams like the touring classes use modified front wheel drive cars for races. When they dial in the appropriate settings for wheel alignment and aero, they tend to perform better than RWD or even AWD counterparts. 

18 hours ago, i86hotdogs said:

The answer is yes. Regardless of the drive of the wheels, you still need the rear under control.

Fortunately every little FWD Japanese import comes from the factory engineered exactly that way  -  With both the front *and* rear 'under control.'  To think that an 18 year old kid with $100 burning a hole in his pocket is actually improving anything by bolting on a wing or a set of huge rear tires is just  . . . . ludicrous!  By the time he's 24 or 25 with his own engineering degree, he'll look back at the pictures of his old car and realize just how much he still had to learn

Don

18 hours ago, i86hotdogs said:

The answer is yes. Regardless of the drive of the wheels, you still need the rear under control. That is handled with tires and aerodynamics. The weight distribution may not be as significant as rwd or even rear engined vehicles like Porsche, but with enough momentum through a turn, that rear can kick out uncontrollably. Professional race teams like the touring classes use modified front wheel drive cars for races. When they dial in the appropriate settings for wheel alignment and aero, they tend to perform better than RWD or even AWD counterparts. 

True if anyone thinks a big wing on the back is to help launch a rwd car faster they are very wrong! At the speed when a wing or spoiler is functional the torque available to the wheels is much less because of the higher transmission gear.  So it does little for straight line acceleration in a fwd or rwd car and only slows the car down at higher speeds.

But do I think having a big wing on the back of a street car is stupid? Yes I think its a waste of time regardless of if its a fwd or rwd car, mostly because it only causes higher fuel consumption and reduces the top speed.

12 minutes ago, Beta Don said:

Fortunately every little FWD Japanese import comes from the factory engineered exactly that way  -  With both the front *and* rear 'under control.'  To think that an 18 year old kid with $100 burning a hole in his pocket is actually improving anything by bolting on a wing or a set of huge rear tires is just  . . . . ludicrous!  By the time he's 24 or 25 with his own engineering degree, he'll look back at the pictures of his old car and realize just how much he still had to learn

Don

On that note "huge" or super wide tires wont help a car corner faster, in the same way the a solid axle or welded diff wont help it corner faster. LUDICROUS!

Obviously, you guys don't like stickers either.  

I want to believe that some of these kids know that stickers, wider wheels & tires, a spoiler........none of those things add horsepower.  I think most of them do it because they like the way it looks.  I remember when people installed body kits to make their car look lower to the ground.  Then every steep driveway and speed bump destroyed the expensive body kit.  Same way kids do "home made" lift kits which are just plain stupid & dangerous.  

Despite what a lot of people think is stupid, dangerous, useless.............there's a huge aftermarket for auto parts which are stupid, dangerous, and useless.  Mind boggling.  Unless that teenager is an engineer and able to manufacture his own parts - he's buying those parts.  And somebody is producing them in volume.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So now that this thread has gone way off topic......

OEM wheel specification is 16X6.5, 5X108 PCD, 63.4 mm Center Bore, 50 mm Offset, 5 ⁷⁄₃₂" Backspace

OEM tire is 215/55R16

What are the specifications of the aftermarket wheel & tire combinations which you guys are using and have found to work without issue?  No rubbing at full lock steering.  No rubbing going over speed bumps and driveways?  No rubbing when cornering?

On 10/20/2019 at 3:28 AM, Fifty150 said:

What are the specifications of the aftermarket wheel & tire combinations which you guys are using and have found to work without issue?  No rubbing at full lock steering.  No rubbing going over speed bumps and driveways?  No rubbing when cornering?

When I rallycross, I use a winter tire that is slightly taller than stock. 215/60r16. Those sit on stock steel wheels (painted white). The rear are clear with no interference. The front do not interfere with anything, even at high loads of turning and braking. 

• 3 years later...

I just recently discovered that I can fit 235/60R16s under the front end. With a calculated diameter of 27.1" I believe that is the tallest tire yet, not to mention the added width. No rubbing anywhere but the wheels have an offset of +38. Not sure yet if they'll rub on full lock with the stock wheel offset of +50 but the next Wheel Whore project will find out.

Note that this throws the speedometer off by a good bit. Not a big concern to me, but still.

• 4 weeks later...

Steel wheels ended up looking like this. Was planning silver because I just did a set of white wheels on my Jeep.

Regardless of color I just don't like the look much so I'm going to simply put the stock hubcaps back on and try to wear the tread down on these tires. Not worth the effort (to me) to bother painting them.

These are not the 235/60R16 tires that I mentioned in the previous post. They are 245/50R16s and while I like the graphics on the sidewalls they are too wide for the front and not wide enough for the rear. Not my favorite.

steel wheels.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 5/2/2017 at 3:46 PM, Spooner said:

I recently put 18's on mine and really the ride is barely more rough than the 16's I took off.  I'll take some pics tomorrow so you can see the offset but I think they turned out awesome.IMG_0835.jpgIMG_0840.jpg

How has the ride been rubbing wise? Any difference under load?