Ford Transit Connect Forum

Brake wear

• 1 year later...

I'm having problems with extensive front brake pads wear.

I'm driving TC 2015, diesel, long version with around 400 - 500 kg in the rear part.

At the front there are ventilated disc, and at the rear disc.

I'm driving normaly, not like Formula 1, and front pads are dead after 15000 km.

I want to install bigger brakes in front.

Does someone find out which bigger brakes (discs and callipers) are bolt on in front.

Wheels are 16"

Thanks.

I agree you likely have a problem or malfunction. These brakes are already larger than other small vehicles' brakes. An upgrade possibility is to use Focus RS brakes. But this is not a simple bolt-on and may not be possible if TC and Focus brakes are different (plus it's expensive). The Focus forums have info.

I recall seeing "Electronic Brake Distribution" listed as one of the features of this van.  Normally that means that on everyday light brake application, the system will apply the rear brakes first, and the front brakes only on heavier braking.  This is done to (somewhat) equalize brake and tire wear between the front and rear axles, instead of the usual case of the fronts doing almost all the work.   It's a great side benefit of ABS systems.

I would think that any fault that affected the EBD (bad sensor or something) would set an ABS warning light and an error code already, but if you have FORScan it could be worth a look at the brake module to see if there's anything showing.

When I put in neutral during rolling on the road, TC is going, and going, no any resistance in brakes.

Gearbox is manual, and I think that engine braking is to weak when you let go gas pedal.

I'v got also Passat 1,9 TDI and brakes are fine, also, no any resistance when it is in neutral, but, when you move foot from gas pedal, the car start to loose speed very quickly.

You can almost stop the car completly only with engine, without using foot brake.

I think that maybe the problem is in preety heavy TC with combination of week engine braking when you move foot from gas pedal.

My friend also have similar TC with heavy load inside, and he also noticed simmiliar thing. Max 20000 km with one pads in front.

Have you tried a higher performance pad when you replaced them?

My Tc is loaded with tools and I often pull a 1600 Lbs trailer.  mine get replaced because the road salt makes the disc's rust.

Edited by G B L

On 5/23/2019 at 3:49 PM, Kas said:

Gearbox is manual, and I think that engine braking is to weak when you let go gas pedal.

I think that maybe the problem is in preety heavy TC with combination of week engine braking when you move foot from gas pedal.

Lack of engine braking is a trait of diesel engines and in fact the absence of a throttle plate is one of the reasons for their greater fuel economy.  So if you have a small (1.6?) diesel, a well-loaded van, and lots of traffic lights and stop signs, then perhaps that could explain your short pad life.

Although it's also possible that something in the engine management is applying a small amount of fuel when coasting in gear... I seem to remember that early gas emissions-control systems (late 70s/early 80s) did this to keep early catalysts and thermal reactors warmed up.    I'm not sure how you'd diagnose this in a modern common-rail diesel, but perhaps briefly switching off the engine while coasting in gear might be an interesting experiment.  If you have a scanner (e.g. FORScan), there are probably fuel system parameters you could monitor to check whether fuel is cutting off completely when coasting in gear.

When I'm braking with engine, current consumption is 0,0 L/km.

It means that injectors are closed and they aren't injecting any fuel.

Yes, engine is pretty small with heavy vehicle and I thin that that is a reason.

1,6 liter engine.

Bosch is not making brakes, some one other is making brake parts for them.

Bosch is making electrical parts.

7 hours ago, Kas said:

Bosch is making electrical parts.

It’s irrelevant, it’s normal not to make everything by yourself. You just have to have good quality control.

On 5/28/2019 at 2:50 PM, Kas said:

That's common in the automotive parts world.  All of those parts labeled Ford Motorcraft are not actually made by Ford.  Oil Filters.  Spark Plugs.  Water Pumps.  Batteries.  Motor Oil.  

That's why there is always an aftermarket part, which is exactly identical to the OEM.  Because that company makes the OEM.  

Look for EBC or PowerStop.  My personal experience is that PowerStop brakes work great on my pickup truck, and EBC were fantastic on my SUV.  My Transit Connect still has original brakes.  In USA, Ford dealers have some sort of promotion for lifetime brakes.  See if you can get a Euro dealer to match that.  

This offer, called “Lifetime Brake Pad Guarantee,” applies to Motorcraft brakesreplaced on any Ford, Lincoln or Mercury passenger vehicle and certain commercial vehicles. To qualify for replacement brakes, customers will need to present their service advisor with their repair order or vehicle identification number.Aug 4, 2014

Web results

Our lifetime brake pad guarantee is available for Motorcraft® and Omnicraft™ brake pads. We'll stand by them as long as you own your car!

Aug 4, 2014 - This offer, called “Lifetime Brake Pad Guarantee,” applies to Motorcraft brakes replaced on any Ford, Lincoln or Mercury passenger vehicle and certain commercial vehicles. To qualify for replacement brakes, customers will need to present their service advisor with their repair order or vehicle identification number.
Buy Motorcraft or Omnicraft brake pads or shoes, and earn a $60 rebate on both axles when you use your Ford® Credit Service Card. Click here to locate a ...

https://ebcbrakes.com/products/uk-kits/

https://www.powerstop.com/product/power-stop-z23-kit/#y=2015&mk=FORD&mo=TRANSIT CONNECT&p=Front %26 Rear

&ex-hargs=v%3D1.0%3Bc%3D2910176357121%3B

Powerstop Logo   
Z23 Evolution Sport for 2015 FORD TRANSIT CONNECT FRONT & REAR
CHANGE VEHICLE
This part is confirmed to fit the selected vehicle.
K6349.jpgK6349.jpg
K6349.jpg K6398.jpg K6478.jpg

Z23 Evolution Sport

HIGH-PERFORMANCE COMPONENTS INCLUDED:

• Z23 Carbon-Fiber Ceramic formula for superior braking power.
  • Dust-free braking performance.
  • Premium rubberized shims provide virtually noise-free braking.
  • Drilled & Slotted performance rotors for maximum cooling.
  • Rotors (except for hub assemblies) are zinc plated for maximum protection against rust.
  • Includes ceramic brake lubricant and premium hardware kit.
car-front.svg Front Only K6349BUY NOW
car-rear.svg Rear Only K6398BUY NOW
car-front-rear.svg Front and Rear K6478BUY NOW
ROTOR SPECIFICATIONS FRONT REAR
Bolt Circle (in) 4.3 4.3
Bolt Circle (mm) 108.0 108.0
Diameter (in) 12.6 11.0
Diameter (mm) 320 280
Height (in) 1.9 2.0
Height (mm) 49 51
Hub Hole Diameter (in) 2.5 2.5
Hub Hole Diameter (mm) 64 64
Minimum Thickness (in) 0.9 0.4
Minimum Thickness (mm) 23.0 9.0
Nominal Thickness (in) 1.0 0.4
Nominal Thickness (mm) 25.0 11.0
# of Holes OR Studs 5 5
Rotor Construction Floating Rotor Floating Rotor
Solid / Vented VENTED SOLID
Stud / Stud Hole Size 13.8 13.8
Z23-Features4-1.jpg

Everything You Need in the Box!

Perfectly matched rotors and pads along with upgraded stainless steel hardware, new pin bushings and high temperature brake lubricant.

All Power Stop Brake kits are available for Front Axle, Rear Axle or Front & Rear Axle.

Carbon-Fiber Ceramic

A low-dust ceramic formula that is reinforced with carbon fibers to strengthen the compound and provide severe-duty stopping power without sacrificing every-day drivability.

Z23-Evolution-Sport-Brake-Pads.jpg

Dust-Free

Say, "Goodbye" to that nasty brake dust! All Power Stop Carbon-Fiber Ceramic brake pads feature a dust-free friction formula.

Noise-Free

No more embarrassing, noisy brakes! We test all brake pads to ensure noise-free braking.

Stopping Power

Our exclusive Carbon-Fiber Ceramic formulas give you increased braking power without sacrificing everyday drivability.

Drilled, Slotted & Plated to Perfection

Power Stop rotors are cast using the finest G3000 metallurgy with strict OE tolerances - making them a perfect, bolt-on upgrade without the need to make any modifications.

Features-DSL-1.png

Drilled

Precision drill holes allow for maximum rotor cooling. This keeps your brakes temperatures down during extreme operating conditions.

Slotted

Rounded slots help wipe away any gas or debris - keeping a clear contact patch on the rotor surface for safe, smooth braking.

Plated

Silver Zinc Dichromate plating is applied to all drilled & slotted rotors (except for hub assemblies) to not only look great behind your wheels, but to help prevent rust & corrosion.

Perfection

Each rotor is carefully machined and mill-balanced and guaranteed to fit your vehicle.

Maximum rotor run-out is 0.0032" (0.08mm) and Maximum DTV tolerance specification is 0.0005" (0.0125mm).

This Kit may be available with the optional Red Powder Coated Calipers!

Easy to clean high-heat powder coating that resists rust, corrosion and extends life of the calipers. Available for most vehicles.

CalipersAvailable-1.jpg

What are people saying?

Brake dust has been totally eliminated!

I recently had your Evolution Z23 ceramic brake pads installed on the front of my 2015 Audi S4 and LOVE them. (My OEM brake pads were squealing before the changeover and the squealing has stopped entirely. Also, the brake dust has been totally eliminated!) In fact, just over the weekend, I ordered these same pads from RockAuto for the rear of my S4, the front of our 2012 Audi A6 and the rear of my son’s 2016 Audi S3.

Craig S. (Pittsburgh, PA)

I have zero complaints – and this kit has everything that you need!

I installed the K4633 – 1 Click Brake system on the front of my 2014 Lexus IS350 F Sport.

The stock Lexus brakes where shaking terribly when you applied the brakes – and they dusted a ton. If you didn’t wash the car once a week – the front wheels would turn black!

I ordered the 1 Click kit – because the car needed rotors/pads. The front drivers pad was shot – and had a warped rotor as well.

The kit came in 2 days from IL – and the install was very easy.

The instructions where clear – and everything bolted on with no issue.

The kit has been on the car for over a month – there is very little brake dust on the wheel – and the shaking brake pedal is gone!

I have zero complaints – and this kit has everything that you need!

Thanks again.

Craig H. (2014 Lexus IS350 F Sport)

Good Product With Increased Performance

As a former SCCA and RAC (Royal Auto Club) formula car driver (F Vee and F Ford) I like to think I know something about brake performance. The quality of the brake components, i.e., rotors, pads, etc., appears to be good and all the parts fit on my 2004 Acura MDX with no problem. I think we had all four rotors and pads installed in less than 90 minutes. I didn’t use the supplied clips or dust caps as the old ones were fine. I followed the bed-in procedure described by the manufacturer and cannot emphasize how important this is because if you don’t do it right, the braking performance will be degraded to some extent. Yes, they will work, but not as well as if you did the job right. I estimate a 10 to 15% improvement in braking performance and several weeks later, I have great confidence in my ability to stop my car. As crazy as it sounds, that is how you go faster. Former Vee Driver (2nd place, Nationals at Summit Point).

Curt for a 2004 Acura MDX — June 21, 2015

Copyright 2019 Power Stop LLC. All rights reserved. SITE MAP

I picked up the Power Stop kit a few weeks ago and love them. The braking is improved with little to no dust. They do make some noise under moderate braking not sure if its common with drilled/slotted rotors?

20190527_081243.jpg

4 hours ago, Sneezyix said:

They do make some noise under moderate braking not sure if its common with drilled/slotted rotors?

20190527_081243.jpg

From what I remember,  there is a certain procedure for "bedding in brakes".  I'm a loser.   I've never gotten it right once.  They stop.  They stop well.  And I have to live with the brakes squealing and sounding like cr*p.

bed in.jpg