• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
ewysocki

Wiring Harness Burned Out

We are a security service that runs 24/7. At night the officers use the high beams almost all night here in Arizona. We are burning through wiring harness's and also burned out the socked in the headlamp assembly. Is there a heavy duty wiring harness we can have FORD install to prevent the burned out harnesses??? We have dark sky laws so no street lights, high beams are needed constantly when patrolling at night. Thanks.................

The bulbs are running through the computer/CANBUS system, so I don't think y'all will be able to get an upgraded harness like older vehicles could do. Y'all might consider switching to LED high beam bulbs, instead. Less wattage = less draw = cooler wiring. 

I'm guessing front take-downs are either not present at all or don't put out enough usable light down the road while driving? 

Posted (edited)

I was going to suggest LED bulbs but they need to be high quality with adequate cooling otherwise the constant use will kill them also. 

Edited by Don Ridley

If you used the existing headlight wiring to run relays you could set up high load circuits for the bulbs.

This may sound like a "too simple" solution but have you tried raising and/or spreading the aim of the low beams?

When I received my 2016 TC,I found the low beams to be woefully inadequate.At my first service,I had them adjusted upwards and it made a world of difference.

Or perhaps installing aftermarket auxilliary lights (with switched relays) ??

switch to HID, less current draw With more then double the light, bulbs running colder too against what others say, i use them( 55 Watt ) since 16 month after right after purchase, no issues at all, Conversion kits from Kensun, good stuff, be careful with some EBay guys selling trashy kits