Ford Transit Connect Forum

14+ battery longevity

dirt huffer

Tires, batteries, filters & such are all consumables and I never press any of those trying to get a few extra months or miles out of them, because . . . . they're a major pain when they fail unexpectedly and either leave you stranded somewhere, or they have you scrambling trying to find a replacement after hours or on a weekend, so you never get a good deal or you never find the best brand to buy when you need something in a hurry  -  Your procrastination has created a mini-emergency and the solution to it is seldom the 'right' one because you're in a hurry.  I can't remember the last time I had to go buy a battery because my vehicle wouldn't start . . . . but I know I was much, much younger then and I honestly believed that trying to get the very last mile out of anything automotive was saving me money  -  It seemed like it was at the time, but in actuality, it wasn't.  If I had bought the battery 6 months or a year sooner, I'd have ended up with a better replacement and for less money . . . . and I wouldn't have missed or been late for wherever it was I was headed when it wouldn't start . . . . and I wouldn't have had to change it out in the rain or freezing cold

So . . . . can't hazard a guess as to how long an OEM battery might last  -  Mine was changed out long ago

Don

I'm still on the original battery, it's been 3 years. My experience with lead acid batteries is they last 3-5 years on average. If I close in on the 5 year mark, I will proactively change it for all the reasons Beta Don mentioned. I do the same with hard drives in my computer, after 5 years, ditch them and replace before they die and leave you stressed.

The battery on my 2017 XL cargo van was replaced under warranty last week.

12500 miles, vehicle was put into service 05 2018 so it sat on the dealer lot (in AZ) for a little under 1.5 years when I bought it.

Failure was sudden, van wouldn't start without jumper battery and it wouldn't hold a charge.

Overnight it would drop to 10.5 v so I'm pretty sure one of the cells went bad.