• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
dirt huffer

Transit Connect top speed?

No idea what maximum speed is.  I cruise on Interstate 5 between 75 -85.  I don't need to find out what  a Transit Connect tops out at.  I know better than to push a minivan like a sports car.

LOL - After driving Nissan Frontiers for more than 25 years I feel like I'm driving a sports car - even when I'm just taking an on/off ramp at the same speeds as the cars.

For me, it's not the top speed that I worry about.  Where I need power is from a standstill.  Most important to me is being able to pickup enough speed to merge into freeway traffic.  Metering lights, short onramps, and just trying to merge back in from a stop on the shoulder requires a good 0 - 60.

I don't care about top speed either and i have no difficulties passing people or merging into traffic , the things plenty powerful enough to handle everything i throw at it .  That's for the 2.5 Liter not sure about the new 2.0 Liter.

But it would be interesting to see 1/4 mile times in real world conditions.  Is anyone street racing? Has anyone set up an app to measure 0-60 and 1/4 mile times?

Top speed for a 2.5L Gen 2 TC is 108mph, electronically limited. I've never tried to drive it above 85mph.

Maybe somebody could remove the speed limiter via Forscan, and see how fast it can really go.  

21 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Maybe somebody could remove the speed limiter via Forscan, and see how fast it can really go.  

Sounds good! You've been elected! Let us know how fast it really goes.  🙂

I tried to look it up.  Apparently, the speed limit cannot be removed with FORScan.  As I recall, that was available on my old Mustang with SCT.

PSX_20190925_234803.jpg

6 hours ago, zalienz said:

Sounds good! You've been elected! Let us know how fast it really goes.  🙂

Should I take it to the track?  Or just take a chance on the open road, with less than controlled conditions, and see what happens?

110?  with the way speedometers typically lie by a few mph... this would confirm the 108 speed limiter post.

empty wyoming secondary highways that telescope to the horizon put you in a trance.... . 

the speed/air you are punching through seems to steady the ride - I would not dare in any space that might need a turn, though.

I hope that roadway is perfectly paved, dry, and clean.  At those speeds, any uneven grade, water, or random debris could be bad news.  

I actually kinda tried to get a speeding ticket in the van a few weeks ago.  It didn't work.  No performance awards for TC drivers, no matter what, apparently.  So, may as well go slow.

Some cars have a "happy place" where everything is optimal.  The car is moving just fast enough to get sufficient airflow and the fan doesn't turn on.  Engine and transmission are at the best temperature, and you get the best mileage.  The car seems to hold and cruise effortlessly.  I think the Transit Connect does that around 50 mph, just as it shifts into overdrive.  No more than 55.  The RPM is right under 2,000.  And even Highway Patrol officers will tell you to speed up or get off the freeway.  There's a moving violation for "Impeding the Flow of Traffic".

4 hours ago, WillMartin said:

I actually kinda tried to get a speeding ticket in the van a few weeks ago.  It didn't work.  No performance awards for TC drivers, no matter what, apparently.  So, may as well go slow.

Your Connect must be really slow , mine is a speedster , i can get a speeding ticket very easily and those things are expensive.  

I typically cruise @ 80 MPH,

I cruise at double that speed ,  i should look into some type of limiter for it .

I usually cruise at 75 mph, at which fuel economy is okay, still. Haven't taken it to the Autobahn to find out what's the doable top speed for longer periods of time.

The price of gas went up around here.

I need to drive 5 or 10 mph slower.

IMG_20191031_100705472.jpg

Oh, almost as bad as over here.

.30 to go.

On 11/3/2019 at 12:50 AM, mrtn said:

Oh, almost as bad as over here.

.30 to go.

Except those are gallons, not liters.  So, not as bad.  Bad enough, though.