Ford Transit Connect Forum

Resetting TPMS

doitdub

On 11/2/2018 at 1:16 PM, WillMartin said:

Thank you.  I would assume the process is the same for Gen 1 as well.

I'm not real sure Will. I just tried this process a couple days ago twice and wouldn't take either time. Guess it wants me to go into the stealership to have it done. No thanks ?

2 hours ago, doitdub said:

I'm not real sure Will. I just tried this process a couple days ago twice and wouldn't take either time. Guess it wants me to go into the stealership to have it done. No thanks ?

I'm with you, it just ain't happening. I'll look at that light for the duration of the vehicle first. It's been on now for close to a year anyway.

8 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

I'm with you, it just ain't happening. I'll look at that light for the duration of the vehicle first. It's been on now for close to a year anyway.

Glad I'm not alone. It seemed like a simple process but it honks twice after first tire and says reset failed on the dash.

On 11/7/2018 at 6:00 PM, doitdub said:

Glad I'm not alone. It seemed like a simple process but it honks twice after first tire and says reset failed on the dash.

That procedure works if you are rotating the tires, then it will know the front from the back because of the different tire pressure settings.

But when I first installed snow tires on a spare set of rims I needed to perform the longer procedure that is as follows because of the new sensors;

1) Make sure all tires are inflated to the vehicle’s recommended inflation pressures (found in the owner’s manual on the door placard).

2) Turn the ignition switch to OFF then press and release the brake pedal.

3) Turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN (engine OFF) 3 times, ending in the RUN position. Do this within 10 seconds.

4) Press and release the brake pedal.

5) Turn the ignition switch back to OFF.

6) Turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN (engine OFF) 3 times, ending in the RUN position. Do this within 10 seconds.

7) The horn should sound letting you know the vehicle has entered into TPMS relearn mode.

? Place the top of the TPMS triggering tool against the sidewall of the driver’s side front tire in the location of the valve stem. Press the left button, wait until the horn sounds, then press the right button to turn the tool off.

9.) Once the horn sounds, move on to the passenger side front tire and repeat the process. Each tire should only take 30 seconds or less.

10) After the passenger side front tire has been learned, continue on to the passenger side rear tire and finishing with the driver’s side rear tire.

11) You may now turn the ignition to OFF. If the horn does not sound, the sensors were learned successfully. If the horn sounds twice, then the process must be repeated because there was a malfunction.

If you dont have the TPMS triggering tool people say you can trigger each wheel by letting air out but I just bought the tool, its like $30 or something.

I hope this helps

As long as we are on this - any recommendations for what TPS to use that isn't from the dealer?  I'm thinking about putting valve stem mounted units on the aluminum wheels.  I don't know what to look for or what questions to ask to make sure they work like they should.  I can check pressure easy enough, but I don't want to be looking at a warning light all the time.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:12 AM, Gideon said:

Nothing wrong with taking 5-10 min and $5 tire gauge. No need to spend $$$$$

I just changed to winter tires on steel rims - no tpms crap. Now just want to shut the *@*@ warning light.

Super 33 black electrical tape....about a one inch piece should do nicely. 

Perfectly reasonable idea, but my grown family members will make life hell for me if I do that.  They already complain like crazy about the short strips of reflective tape I added on exterior.

BTW, I notce the tpms warning light (don't have them on my winter wheels) only comes on at highway speed & stays off during city driving (under 65Km/H).

Edited by Gideon