Ford Transit Connect Forum

Can I add OEM Cruise control to vehicle that came without it

ang210

Do not be surprised if you find out that you have to get the ECM programmed to accept the cruise control

Of course you have to go to a Ford dealership that has invested perhaps up to $5000 for an ECM programmer

Most important such a dealership needs to have a sharp technician

• 1 year later...

Update

I discovered I needed a different cluster.

I purchased a used cluster with lower mileage than the original. I installed the new cluster to test it and everything still works. In addition the information controls now work. The cruise control still cannot be turned on. 

I think the PCM may need to be programmed to the new cluster. Does anyone know if that is the case?

Existing Cluster  DT1T-10849-PD       Replacement cluster DT1T-10849-SCC

I cannot find different part numbers for the clock-spring or Steering Angle Sensor Module. I believe they are the same in all models.

I am in the process of doing the same thing but I travel a lot and I am barely home to work on the van.  

What are you using to program your van, IDS or FORScan and it says you installed the cluster in your van but did you program the cluster and change the Central Configuration in the BCM yet?

Wow I just read the dates of the post and you have been working on this for a while

Edited by dinocarsfast
read previous posts

• 4 weeks later...

I had the new cluster programmed and cruise still does not work. After looking at two similar vans one with Cruise the other without the harness part numbers are different.  It looks like a new wiring harness may be  needed from steering column to BCM. I will update as soon as I know. 

Have been using IDS. A local guy has the software and is willing to attempt.  Harness is expensive. Trying to locate one from a wreck and if not then will try to run the missing wires.

Crossing my fingers this works. Anyone else have any suggestions? For the record I had the cluster programmed so the mileage read the same as mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Verified no harness is needed. All the wiring is in place. Will have the BCM bits modified this week using bits I found from other vans that have cruise control. Will post my results after I accomplish this. I believe a BCM modification and an IPC modification will be required.

• 11 months later...

I got the cruise control to work yesterday.  I did not need to replace anything but the steering wheel and I have a base cluster.  I previously used IDS version 101 and did not have any luck it had some bugs with reading the central configuration in my vehicle or maybe the problem was with vcm clone, idk. But with IDS version 109 it worked better. I was able to read the central configuration and it showed all the features but I still had problems downloading to the vehicle.  after editing it.  

The way that I was able to successfully save the changes was to make the changes in the as-built file and upload that entire file from my computer.  

If anyone would like more detail or I can send the .xml files directly contact me via private message.

I cant wait to drive this more now that I have cruise control and it only cost $60 ?

1062976458_IMG_41321.thumb.JPG.eca0f6aea9d0b2a817a98c331f029bc9.JPG

IMG_4135.thumb.jpg.8ae98bba3a94b04423e570302ac2567e.jpg

Hmmm, very interesting, just a steering wheel swap and some config changes and you now have cruise control?

I have a base cluster just like yours and would love to add cruise.

Can you provide more details on the steering wheel you installed?

Thanks,

Joe

I might have a steering wheel that will work for you.  My 2014 came with factory cruise and I replaced the OEM steering wheel with another OEM wheel which is leather wrapped and has the audio controls also  -  My original one was just vinyl and doesn't have the audio controls.  I bought the leather one on eBay for $125

Don

Thanks Don. That brings up another question - if I get a steering wheel with audio controls will I be able to control my base AM/FM radio? Volume control from the steering wheel would be nice.

Can anyone tell me what the steps are to remove the steering wheel? I can buy just the cruise control switch "pod" and I'd like to look behind the air bag and find out if I can add it or if it would be simpler to just get a steering wheel that already has the switch pod.

Thanks

On 10/9/2018 at 5:49 AM, Don Ridley said:

You should be able to turn on cruise control using Forscan. It performs many of the IDS functions.

I wasnt able to turn it on with Forscan when I first tried last year. I think it had bugs in the software but so did the IDS version I was using then, but yeah you should be able to.

On 10/8/2018 at 12:55 PM, donuts said:

Hmmm, very interesting, just a steering wheel swap and some config changes and you now have cruise control?

I have a base cluster just like yours and would love to add cruise.

Can you provide more details on the steering wheel you installed?

Thanks,

Joe

I just got one from a local LKQ but ebay should work too, from what I remember it wasnt possible to just get the switches and mine might be from an escape.  But if beta Don can find his I would use that

On 10/9/2018 at 5:43 AM, donuts said:

Thanks Don. That brings up another question - if I get a steering wheel with audio controls will I be able to control my base AM/FM radio? Volume control from the steering wheel would be nice.

Can anyone tell me what the steps are to remove the steering wheel? I can buy just the cruise control switch "pod" and I'd like to look behind the air bag and find out if I can add it or if it would be simpler to just get a steering wheel that already has the switch pod.

Thanks

I am curious about the radio controls on a base radio also.  I got a steering wheel without so I dont have the answer, if you find out let me know.  I would probably be more likely to upgrade the instrument cluster first and have the mpg and better looking screen

Thanks for the info Dino.

I've got a deal set up with Don to buy his old steering wheel with the cruise buttons/switches, but without the radio buttons.

I need cruise control but can live without the radio buttons.

I'll post an update once I've got it all working.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my "new" steering wheel from Beta Don the other day - big thanks to Don!

Now I just have to order an OBDLink MX and find some time to do wheel swap and figure out the OBDLink, Forscan, etc.

Dino - is the cruise control setting the only one you had to change?

20181016_141345_HDR.jpg