Ford Transit Connect Forum

Front Hitch? Anyone done one?

Radvan!

Hey all,

New to the forum. I love my Radvan as I call it. So many adventures. I recently got my hands on a light 13ft fiberglass egg camper, but I also have a pair of heavy cargo bikes that won't go inside or on top of the van. I have seen bigger vehicles do a front hitch for bike racks. Has anyone done it on a connect? Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks for the help.

IMG_20190315_191301158_HDR.jpg

Heavy cargo bikes ... more detail please ...

I went with a hitch doubler on the back here.

31rdxCtBOyL._AC_SY200_.jpg

Just slides onto the hitch receiver and the original ball slides into the back of that. Trailer hooks up to the lower receiver on the doubler, and the bike rack uses the upper receiver. Disconnect the trailer, pull the pin to lower the bikes, and there's even enough room to open the barn doors on my 2011 ...

bike-rack-(4).jpg

Nice part is I can park and set up the trailer, then drive off either with or without the bikes. Those were both eBikes too, so pretty hefty at maybe 50 pounds each.

I've installed front end hitch receivers on trucks and Jeeps.   Storage platforms, bike racks, and winch mount plates.  Sometimes a tow hook or shackle for recovery. They typically mount onto the solid part of the frame, and extend out from under the bumper - much like a rear hitch receiver.  On a Transit Connect, I don't see where you would mount it.  The front end is way too low to have something stick out from under the bumper.  

A front hitch would be a 100% custom or DIY affair, nobody makes them for TC's. It would need to be made like the Ford Super Duty style front hitches, where it comes out through a factory hole in the bumper (TC's would need the hole cut where the plastic grill is, though). That's one of those projects that has been on the back of my mind, but I've never pulled off the front end of my '15 TC to see if it's actually even viable. 

809358179_img_69111.jpg.2525819389326c8c2e8c6481a3393f40.jpg

There isn’t anything to attach unless you go below the a/c condenser sits low ( guessing the radiator is about the same) . The uni-body frame /cross member/core support is almost flush with the bottom of the condenser and Radiator. This means that you would have to make an upwards saddle mount to straddle the front cross member/core support. That would put the reciever hitch about 3-1/2”-4” off the ground. IMO ,Should you run it into a curb, it would push back wards and roll under or cave in the Uni-body front cross member/core support.This would destroy the condenser and radiator. That is what it appears like to me anyway.