Ford Transit Connect Forum

2018 vs 2019

STAGEO

Looking to purchase my first Transit Connect and I have the opportunity to buy a brand new 2018 at a very decent price. I have zero experience with this generation of Ford 4-cylinders, but I hear nothing but good things about the 2.5. I'm not terribly worried about nominal power/fuel economy differences between the 2.0 and the 2.5...my only concern being durability, reliability and ease of repair. I want the engine that will last me the longest.

That said, would I be better served with the  2.0 or should I jump on the 'last' of the new 2.5s? Sorry if this has been asked before and I did search before starting a new thread. Thanks much for the insight!

2019 has new engine and transmission.  For some people, the first year that anything comes out is a "no-no".  That's like the actual filed trial.  Now they can figure out what needs to be corrected with Technical Service Bulletins and Recalls.  So you may get something loaded with issues that will not be corrected for years down the line.

If you have the opportunity drive both.  That will tell you what you want to know.  If you do  please report I am excited to know a real world comparison of the performance difference.

At one point I will test drive a 2019 just to see .  As I have made the last payment on the 2014 last month I am going to take a Rest from the payment race.

I decided to purchase the 2018 with the 2.5 for the exact reason Fifty stated which is i didn't want something that's in it's first year of production .  I have been very pleased with the 2018 with the 2.5 .  I also much preferred the "Fog lamp" design in the 2018's and previous models i did not like the subtle design changes on the 2019 , i also did not like the dash changes on the 2019 .

Unless, of course, you look at it from another perspective.  2014-2018 gave the engineers enough insight into what works and doesn't work.  So 2019 model features the best of the 2nd generation, in addition to all of the fixes.  2019 engine and transmission combination probably upgrades to correct where 1st & 2nd generation were deficient.  Power. Fuel economy.  Maintenance and mechanical failures. 

Same way the 77 Mustang 2 got a T-top roof. Which opened the doors to the mid 77-78 King Cobra with a snake painted on the hood. 

Ford's answer to the Firebird painted on the hood.  Disco was King.  Good times. 

On 9/14/2019 at 9:09 PM, Fifty150 said:

Unless, of course, you look at it from another perspective.  2014-2018 gave the engineers enough insight into what works and doesn't work.  So 2019 model features the best of the 2nd generation, in addition to all of the fixes.  2019 engine and transmission combination probably upgrades to correct where 1st & 2nd generation were deficient.  Power. Fuel economy.  Maintenance and mechanical failures. 

Same way the 77 Mustang 2 got a T-top roof. Which opened the doors to the mid 77-78 King Cobra with a snake painted on the hood. 

Ford's answer to the Firebird painted on the hood.  Disco was King.  Good times. 

Sorry , not buying it and Disco and the words "Good times" do not go together !!!    Look 50 we know you consider yourself a tremendous physical specimen where gravity and aging doesn't apply but we need to get back to reality .  It's time to acknowledge that you're in the "Fossil " stage of life which means that at any time you could expire without notice ,  and i mean that in a good way so don't take it the wrong way .

Fifty , there is no surfing anymore , your days of stalking Barry Manilow are over , there is no more doing splits on the dance floor to the "Bee Gees , at least not without ripping a huge whole in your trousers and being carted off on a stretcher .  Once in the fossil stage it is wise to pray that you will make it through the entire night  , if we do make it till first light that is a very good sign because many in the fossil stage do not make it and perish.  Always remember that "The Golden Years" are the best years of your life , love your always super positive attitude & hoping i sent a little cheer your way .

9 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Well you can tell, by the way I use my walker, I'm a woman's man, no time to talk.

Woman keep you young ,  tough to attract them while driving around on a scooter with a top speed of 15 mph though .  I pull up to the ladies on my scooter and say " Hello miss i'm herb and you are "  and they always say " NOT INTERESTED" .

Suffice to say Scooters are NOT chick magnets , time to ditch the scooter for an electric wheelchair , that should work well , hopefully i can ditch the helmet .

getting back to the original question:  I would probably lean towards the 2.0 with the new transmission.  Font think there will be much difference between the 2.5 and 2.0 in terms of durability but the new transmission should be better.  The 2.0 has more gears in the transmission and will shift more times but otherwise will be similar.  Not sure about the long term effects of shifting a lot.  If the area you live in is relatively flat it may not make a difference.  Where I live there are lots of hills which kills the gas mileage on my 2016.  As G B L suggests drive both then pick the one you like the best.  I'd pick the better price.  I bought a new one which was a model year old at the time but got a much better price and was able to get more stuff.  

I really enjoy the versatility.  Recently folded all the seats flat and put the big WeatherTech mat over them and loaded it up with stuff for my daughter to take to a consignment sale.  Went to lunch with some friends so took the mat out and folded the seats up and we had pleanty of room.  Tomorrow will take the two rear seats out so I can haul my scooter to the racetrack for the motorcycle races this weekend.  Will probably move the car seats over so can shuttle the 5 1/2 YO twin grandkids to school and back.  In a couple of weeks will take 91 YO mother-in-law to visit relatives out of town.

For the disco lovers and haters I'm old to have been married and working during that era.  Last week got back from a 5,300 mile camping trip to Crater of the Moon and Glacier Nation Park along with a stopover in Minot ND on the way back.  However didn't take the TC, took my BMW - the one with two wheels.  5,300 miles in 16 days just me and my motorcycle!    

by the river.jpg

curves.jpg

I'm under the impression that the new engine and transmission combination is engineered for fuel efficiency.  I'm not sure of how that will work for heavy loads, towing, and steep grades.  In the back of my mind, I also wonder about durability.  With every change, you ask if the new model is going to be better.    Only time, with real world usage, will tell.  

The new 2.0 is about achieving better fuel efficiency and it is considerably better than the 2.5 in that area so Ford has succeeded .   It's not slightly better either it's noticeably better .   Problem is there is also a noticeable power let down which is the negative to having considerably better fuel efficiency .

• 2 months later...

Dont know if the 2.0 is a totally new engine, they did put them in lincolns with a turbo so durability should not be an issue. Just bought a 2019 and have put 1700 miles on it so far. The cargo van gets about 4 mpg better than my 2014 cargo of course im going from a 6 speed to an 8 speed and there is the auto start feature that must help, it is a bit of a pain in the ass but once you get used to it you can be light on the brake and it wont come on. It is a lot quieter than the 2.5 and the trans sounds like a motorcycle shifting while acceleration. So far so good, the ford pass app is great, i can start, and unlock my van from my phone, it gives fuel level and tire pressure on the app as well.