• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
jmc1974

2015 Transit Connect XLT Cargo

Hello Everyone, 

i have purchased just few weeks ago a 2015 Transit Connect XLT Cargo, with Gas engine...  Great little van!  but I have a question for all, how long does it normally take in the morning to warm up?  I am in California and currently our weather is on the 90's, but in the morning about 70's and when I start the van, I see the temp gauge go from cold to normal in seriously less than a minute.  is that normal?  i driven about 500 miles since I bough her and it has not overheated, but I never seen a car warm up so fast. this afternoon after being parked all day, outside it was about mid 80's and it took maybe 30-45 seconds and once I placed it on reverse and i began backing out it was at normal temp 😲.

please advise is anyone has the same experience

this has 15,000 (yes 15k miles, clean title, no accidents, 1 previous owner)

thanks in advance

There are certain "magic numbers".  

When the engine reaches 100 F, the idle drops.  This is what you are experiencing within that short time frame immediately after starting the engine.  

150 F.  Engine management system goes from "open loop" to "closed loop".  Car's computer also executes and completes the OBDII monitors, for the drive cycle tests, to clear the P1000 code, so that your car is "emission ready".  For some cars, 150 F ATF is also suppose to register the fluid level at the low end of the dipstick.  

190 F or sometimes 195 F.  Thermostat opens.  Radiator fluid now begins flowing through the cooling system.  In some cases, simple airflow from the car moving will reduce the coolant temperature.  In modern cars, the electric fan will turn on and off at preset temperatures to maintain operating temperatures.  In the Transit Connect, the coolant/antifreeze also flows through an oil-to-water heat exchanger to regulate and reduce the ATF temperature.  Transit Connect's 6F35 transmission is supposed to be checked for proper fill level between 180 - 200.  

1 hour ago, jmc1974 said:

when I start the van, I see the temp gauge go from cold to normal in seriously less than a minute.  is that normal? 

😲

Yes.  I see the same with mine.  The RPMs drop as the coolant temps reach 100 F.  Very fast to "warm up".  Not like the old cars where you sat there long enough to drink a can of beer.

Hello!  I got my Connect in May 2019.  I live in northern New Hampshire.  It takes my van to go from cold to normal about 15 minutes.

If the coolant stays at the normal level with out loss then there is no overheating.