Willygee

Drain plug washer reusable 2016 gen2 ?

Getting ready to do an oil change..is the drain plug washer reusable? 22k on vehicle.

I reuse mine 2 or 3 times . . . . but then, I don't over torque them and squish them out of shape

Don

Thanks Don..better have one on hand.

The idea is to change the washer with every oil change.  That being said, you could get away with using it again.  Eventually, it will start to leak.  With the "skid plate" on the bottom of the van, you won't see the oil on your driveway......you won't even know it's leaking......until the next time you do an oil change.  

I know some guys who swear that you can reuse those washers if you flip it everytime.  

I saw a Honda where the drain plug was stripped and rounded off, there was blue Loctite everywhere around the drain hole,. and the washer was smashed and deformed.  Oil change every 3,000 miles since it was new.....always by the same shop.  A shop!!!   The owner of the shop actually told me that they started using Loctite because it was leaking, the drain plug was all beat up from them using air tools to try to get the plug on tighter to stop the leaking.  Every time they used an air tool to tighten the drain plug, it smashed & deformed the washer even more.  Of course, they had to use more torque to remove the drain plug at every oil change.  This guy actually told me that they were applying 50 ft lbs of torque on the drain plug.  Dude swears that they did everything so that the engine wouldn't leak oil.  I believed him.  Then I asked him why he didn't use a new washer at every oil change.  He couldn't answer that.  I got a new drain plug and washer.  That car doesn't leak oil anymore.  

Buy a new washer with every oil change.  They are $0.50.  

78042 miles 10+ oil changes , the sealing washer is a good fit in the plug and pan. Be careful do not overtighten, you will be ok.