Ford Transit Connect Forum

wheelchair mod

Hey folks:

I was just wondering for those on here that have this vehicle for purposes of transporting someone in a wheelchair.........

is it impossible to have a single back seat available while the person in the wheelchair is aboard.

I see this design on British websites, but here, it's either all or none for the back seat.

Anybody have any input on that ?

The problem is that I have 2 children and one's in a wheelchair. How do the 4 of us go out

if I can only carry mom and dad and child in wheelchair and not the second child ?

Sammy

THE XLT WAGON COMES WITH A DOUBLE AND SINGLE BACK SEAT COMBO. YOU CAN REMOVE THE DOUBLE SEAT BEHIND THE DRIVER AND LEAVE THE SINGLE SEAT FOR THE SECOND CHILD, I DID THE OPPOSITE, I REMOVED THE SINGLE FOR TOOL STORAGE AND LEFT THE DOUBLE FOR MY GRANDKIDS WHEN I NEED IT.

WOODY

• 1 year later...

One minor item - most power lifts of wheelchairs/scooters/powerchairs that can handle the loaded chair require a few more inches of depth than the Transit provides with the seats lowered. One possibility to make this sort of lift fit would be to remove the 2-passenger seat and install a 1-passenger seat as a replacement. This would reduce your loadable passengers to 4 instead of 5 (I think 5 is a gross over-estimation anyway.) It would allow room to install the sort of wheelchair lift that can handle a loaded wheelchair/powerchair pretty well, depending on the measurements of the chair & occupant.

Just a thought. I measured this out carefully and decided againt it because I still occasionally need to seat 5.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sammy,

I don't know if you are still looking for some input on this, but I currently convert the Transit Connect into an ADA vehicle. Let me know if you want more information.

Regards,

David

Hey folks:

I was just wondering for those on here that have this vehicle for purposes of transporting someone in a wheelchair.........

is it impossible to have a single back seat available while the person in the wheelchair is aboard.

I see this design on British websites, but here, it's either all or none for the back seat.

Anybody have any input on that ?

The problem is that I have 2 children and one's in a wheelchair. How do the 4 of us go out

if I can only carry mom and dad and child in wheelchair and not the second child ?

Sammy

• 4 years later...

Just took delivery of a 2016 Transit Connect WAV converted by Sunset Vans, 8851 Lakewood Blvd, Downey, Ca 90240 - http://www.sunsetvans.com/about.html

Manual rear entry via very lightweight counter-balanced manual ramp.

Too early to determine fully but I’m satisfied so far.

The Sunset workmanship quality is excellent, good interior design, material & craftsmanship!

The fittings/placement/tie-downs for a MANUAL WHEELCHAIR are excellent. I really like the extra foot/leg room afforded by the Sunset design of extending the tub/channel beneath the rear bench seat. I’ve not seen this extra tub length from any other WAV converter.

The fittings/placement/tie-downs for my large POWER WHEELCHAIR are tight, a smaller Power chair than my Invacare Ranger X should fit well.

Headroom is very adequate using a manual wheelchair & manageable using my power wheelchair.

I would get a long wheelbase wagon.  Remove the two rear jumpseats.  And install a fold-down ramp and whatever tie-down system that you need to secure the chair and prevent it from moving.

In the old days, we simply loaded the person into the vehicle, then folded up the chair and stored it.

A friend of mine has a Dodge with a loading ramp on the passenger side.  The driver's seat and second row bench are removed so that he can wheel into position.  Special tie  downs installed to secure the chair.   Throttle and braking are hand controls.  

As an adult, he does not need to be transported. As opposed to people who do need to be transported.......like a child who can't drive. And unfortunately, some people have disabilities which limit being able to operate a motor vehicle.  So for some, there is still the "we" element required to get around.

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2010 at 0:34 PM, sammy5358 said:

This does not give you the answer that you are looking for.  This is simply how I manage.  

KIMG0143.JPG

• 1 month later...

Re DonShockley, Posted October 12, 2016, Got any photos?

Don,
• Photo "c": Middle bench seat still installed; third row seat omitted on order.
• Photo "f": Manual ramp fully extended for wheelchair loading.
• Photo "h": Wheelchair tub channel shown; retractable straps forward & rear wheelchair anchor points at the rear; rear detachable straps not shown.

Sunset TC XL '16c.jpg

Sunset TCPackageA-intro~~element55.jpg

Sunset XLT '15, 20k~f.jpg

Sunset XLT '15, 20k~h.jpg