Passenger armrest mod. 2012 TC.
I built one using the factory cupholder, ABS pipe and caps, plywood, carriage bolts and some cheap armrests from Canadian Tire. Two fold down cup holders to finish it off.
and 103west 43rd st.. thanks for the details on your conversion.. Very nice job.... too bad it's beyond me to do that..
I will hire you to mod mine though.. let me know if you'de like to earn some side ca$h.. thanks Jim
thanks again for your insite on the euro mirror mods..
Jim, my pleasure to give you more details.
It starts with the fact that all out side mirrors will bend toward the door if hit with some force.
They are designed to protect pedestrians.
The top larger mirror flat is adjustable, the bottom smaller convex mirror is not.Since I needed to move the mirror angle closer to the door, I first gave it a shove and adjusted it so the view of the bottom convex mirror was where I wanted.
There are then two ways to proceed.
You can fix the mirror in the new position and loose the safety movement ability (the easy way), or, you can modify the swivel joint between the mirror assembly and the mount on the door (much harder).
I first tried the easy way.
Look under the joint. You will see a circular cover plate. it has two slots 180 degrees apart. Insert a small flat blade screwdriver to release the plate and pull it down and off. Use the slot that is closest to the door.
The joint is held together with three screws. After moving the mirror to its new position, drill two starter holes between any two of the screws and screw in sheet metal screws to lock the joint in place. Snap the cover plate back in place and you are done. Should take 15 minutes.
I left the mirror like that for a few weeks, but to lose the safety factor bothered me so I finally went with the hard way.
Take the cover plate off and remove the three screws holding the two assemblies together.
You will then see that when the mirror assembly swivels it acctually moves up on two small ramps built into the joint on the lower section.
Using a Dremel cuting wheel, I cut a small portion of the ramps away, only about an eighth of an inch, this allows the mirror to be re-assembled in the new position perserving the safety ability. Instead of just drilling new holes and using machine screws to put it back together, I noticed the mirror assembly portion of the joint has more than three tapped holes for assembly. I then drilled three new holes in the bottom joint, all an eight inch on center from the existing holes to match up with the new position of the top(mirror) joint. The existing machine screws could now be reused.
Take care, and good luck.