Ford Transit Connect Forum

Completed manual transmission swap

I have successfully converted my 2015 to a manual. I've been using it for work the past month and have put around 2k miles on it with no issues. 

If anyone is looking to start this project for themselves I'd be happy to answer any questions and share my experiences with it. 

I'm in the Tampa Bay area 

Engine, transmission, and pcm from a 2014 focus. 

A bit of wiring and pin changing. 

My first attempt was with the 2.5 but couldn't kill the auto tranny switch in the stock pcm so it was in limp mode. 

The swap itself wouldn't be bad now that everything I figured out. 

I'll probably wind up putting and ST engine in it next now that all of the bugs are worked out. 

Congrats.  You did what many have dreamed of.  

There was a thread from years ago, where a person attempted to do the same.  Then that person stopped posting, as if the project failed.

Did you do all of this work yourself, at home?  Or was a shop involved?  What was the ballpark budget?

I think he only swapped the gearbox and got stuck with electronics. Brits do crazy swaps all the time but it always seems to be full running gear from a donor Focus/Mondeo/Fusion including the looms and ECU, mount and half shaft fabrication.  I've seen V6 and I5 swaps reported as well.

It is expensive to change a car in any way.  Each of us perceives the value in a different way.  Years ago, I believed I got my money's worth, and that the money was worth the investment, when I installed aftermarket parts.  Today, I question myself.  Would I have been better off, if I saved that money?  Can I live without modifying the car, and just driving it the way it came from the factory?  I had, and still have, some pretty wild ideas when it comes to what can be done with a Transit Connect.

Did you go with a used or rebuilt 2014 Ford Focus manual transmission? Just curious on if it's worth the extra money. The used Focus MT is only $950 bucks and has 56k miles on it. I'm looking at them here https://reman-transmission.com/transmissions/ford/focus/2014/. I plan on getting some help from a local mechanic for the electrical side of the swap. 

On 12/24/2021 at 1:06 AM, Fifty150 said:

Congrats.  You did what many have dreamed of.  

There was a thread from years ago, where a person attempted to do the same.  Then that person stopped posting, as if the project failed.

Did you do all of this work yourself, at home?  Or was a shop involved?  What was the ballpark budget?

All the work was done myself. 

At first I tried to get it working with the 2.5 but couldn't get the auto trans switches in the pcm to switch off. I believe it's because that pcm was never used in a manual transmission vehicle. Finally I just decided to go with the focus engine and pcm. 

On 12/27/2021 at 1:46 PM, Transitman89 said:

Did you go with a used or rebuilt 2014 Ford Focus manual transmission? Just curious on if it's worth the extra money. The used Focus MT is only $950 bucks and has 56k miles on it. I'm looking at them here https://reman-transmission.com/transmissions/ford/focus/2014/. I plan on getting some help from a local mechanic for the electrical side of the swap. 

I just bought a used 2012 tranny with around 50k on it. It cost around 200 bucks. The transmissions and engines are dirt cheap in Florida. They don't go bad often so there is no demand for them. 

The same yard I got my tanny from had a 100k mile one for 150 and an 8k mile one for 250

• 1 month later...

I, perhaps like many here, would be very interested in details of the swap. Parts list, pin swaps, clutch pedal assembly, shift linkage, cv shafts, etc. etc. Any info you are willing to share would be great! For specific step by step info, I may even be willing to pay as it could save a lot of time. What engine size (code) did you say you used? You initially stated 2014 Focus but then stated 2012, are the engines trans the same? Thanks in advance! Halifax, Canada.

Congrats on the successful swap! I have always toyed the idea to do this. I race my TC, and that puts a beating on the 6F35 trans. Since this swap is very uncommon, there isn't much on the internet about it. So I would love to hear details and the trials & tribulations of this job. I assume you swapped the 2.5 Duratec with the 2.0 from the Focus? I am very interested in seeing how much this costs and how much work actually goes in to this.

It was all from a 2012. 2012 to 14 is the same 15 to 18 has a cylinder head temperature sensor so just match the pcm to the engine. 

Some codes will have to be tuned out as there are some small differences. 

The shifter came from Europe and just needed a slight mod to work the cables are also from Europe. It's all pretty much bolt up. The pedal assembly is from the 12 focus. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello everyone I have a 2013 Ford transit connect. I’ve converted it from automatic to manual transmission, I have used a 2009 Ford focus as my donor. Everything is in and ready to go except I’m having trouble with the ECU and Im mobilizer. I plugged everything in go to turn the key and nothing happens. Just the immobilizer light flashes please if anyone can help.

Edited by Handy Andy

On 12/11/2023 at 10:51 AM, Don Ridley said:

You have the dreaded PATS issue. I don't know how this is solved but you to research this. Forscan may be the key but you will need to find the settings that need to change.

Ya it’s been two weeks trying to figure this out. I installed the focus ECU and programmed my vin number to it but still nothing I don’t know what I’m missing. My van is basic and doesn’t have the chipped keys but still must have some kind of immobilizer because the light flashes and no power to starter or fuel pump. 

• 2 months later...

Hello, I have a 2016 transit connect with the 2.5L gas engine, where did you get the manual transmission and parts? I have an automatic and just broke down a few days ago. I've been wanting to switch to a manual for some time, looks like now is the time!