Ford Transit Connect Forum

New VW Caddy, the basis for the next Transit Connect

mrtn

This is all kinds of wrong: http://vanguide.co.uk/volkswagen-caddy-2020-images-released

The Volkswagen Caddy 2020 is the all-new fourth-generation version of VW’s light commercial van. Designated the Caddy C5 (VW class the 2015 update as a new model), the 2020 is based on the new MQB platform (Modular Transverse Matrix) and will also form the basis of the new Ford Transit Connect – due in 2021.

Caddy-Cargo_20200219_002-2048x1365.jpg

Time to buy the badge-engineered Toyota Berlingo.

On 2/20/2020 at 2:47 PM, mrtn said:

and will also form the basis of the new Ford Transit Connect – due in 2021.

That does not make me happy, a cross breed between VW and Ford .  Could be a mess.  The specs for the one for over here will be interesting .  Hey Maybe an Air Cooled Boxer engine!

• 9 months later...

The new Caddy is now on the market. Gives you an idea what's to come. Grab your original Ford while the stocks last.

BTW: the Caddy ad looks to have been shot in Estonia (most of it in my home town), just like the ad for ID3, they probably fell in love with some places over here and came back. You'll recognize them, very specific. There's a tunnel scene in the beginning of the ID3 ad, it's 6 minutes from my house. The road was closed for 15 minutes when they shot it, I made a couple of spy shots when waiting to pass.

I'm currently trying to wear out my 4th and 5th VW Golf diesels, so I don't think the VW platform is necessarily a bad thing. But the Caddy appears to be. amore car oriented design so I think we're going to lose some of the current TC's truckliness. Drivetrain wise, the current TC's 26 MPG EPA Combined is damn good for a gas engined van, VW's 1.8 liter gas engine can barely equal that in the smaller Golf Alltrack wagon, the other possibility for the U.S. is VW's 1.5 liter gasser which gets decent MPG but is probably a tad underpowered for a van. We might get the option of All Wheel Drive in the deal though.

I've been following the TC for a couple years now, was tempted to get one when VW bought back my 2013 TDI but I lucked out and found a NOS 2015 TDI to replace it. Been shopping TDIs again but street prices are rising again so few good deals now. I'm going to wait for a good deal, failing that unless the next generation is a big improvement I'll order one before the order banks close.

I've had several VW.  Have a 2008 Rabbit bought new and still going but others have not done so well.  Have had 2 of the turbo engines fail in a catastrophic manner.  I like the way they drive just don't trust them, headliners falling, rubber coating on interior parts getting sticky with age.  Not impressed with some of their efforts prior to 2010.  Haven't looked at them in the last 10 years.  One turbo engine failure was a 1.8turbo that had a pie shaped piece of a valve head break off and rattle around in the engine.  The other failure was a 2009 2.0 turbo which had a timing chain tensioner fail and fill the engine with metal shavings.  I think by 2015 or 2016 they had figure out how to make a timing chain tensioner!  My daughter had a timing belt tensioner go bad and start leaking on her Odyssey van - technical at Honda doing the oil change let her know.  Honda wanted $1,100 to replace tensioner, pulleys and other stuff which they had done elsewhere for $900.  That's a lot less than a new engine from VW.

• 7 months later...

That is a very ugly looking.... thing.... The 1st gen TCs weren't good looking but that had a particular goofyness that was appealing because you could see that they were meant to only ever be driven flat out by an angry man with an aluminum clipboard, preferably on two wheels. The 2nd gen TC wasn't anything one way or the other, it was just any random boxy minivan. This... thing.. has been hit with the ugly stick.