Ford Transit Connect Forum

CD player removal

LOL! 

The CD player is part of the radio head unit called the audio control module ACM. Pop the plastic cover above the ACM off the ACM by pulling it straight toward you. It's a struggle. Remove the plastic around the ACM the same way. The ACM is secured by a couple of screws.

On 1/18/2020 at 9:40 AM, mrtn said:

there's s CD-player in a 2019? ?

Wish my 2016 did. Radio these days absolutely sucks. Who the hell listens to AM radio anyway? I was trying to imagine what sort of person that was.

I ran an MP3 player through the aux connection but it kept breaking.

3 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

I guess you will have to fabricate that yourself.  I haven't seen a radio delete kit with a dashboard cubby hole.

From another post of yours about a month ago you show a new "bezel" that looks like it would be rather easily modified. Not sure if "bezel" is the proper terminology here. I tried to repost the pic but my computer wasn't cooperating with an old man.

This thread did inspire me to locate another inexpensive MP3 player and order it. Finally found one that gives me what I want. Simplicity. We'll see if it holds up, but I have my doubts. Miss having some music in the truck and the head-banging, full volume stuff I like to listen to just doesn't come on the radio. Sirius was such a PITA with their billing I dropped them about 5 years ago.

13 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

Wish my 2016 did. Radio these days absolutely sucks. Who the hell listens to AM radio anyway? I was trying to imagine what sort of person that was.

I ran an MP3 player through the aux connection but it kept breaking.

Linear radio is pointless. Today you can stream music from the internet or just play MP3 from a USB-stick.

Or listen to "radio" as podcasts on demand. Or audiobooks. There is no time in the world to consume everything interesting that's available in the internet for free.

15 hours ago, mrtn said:

Linear radio is pointless.

I still listen to AM stations for traffic reports every 5 minutes.  Not that I enjoy it.  But it is what I am used to doing.  I know.  Waze app could route me faster and more efficiently.  I gould use Google maps.  And any GPS with a traffic receiver would probably work better.

20 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

you show a new "bezel" that looks like it would be rather easily modified.

I think you're referring to the dash kit for installing an aftermarket radio.  Sure, I guess you could put in a box instead of a radio.  But as yet, nobody manufactures or sells a radio delete kit.

4 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

But as yet, nobody manufactures or sells a radio delete kit.

I really couldn't imagine they ever will either since the goal is always to sell you more, not less. There would never be a market for it. Not too many people have the mindset that less is more. Besides that's where all the so-called "upgrades" go nowadays.

10 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

I still listen to AM stations for traffic reports every 5 minutes.  Not that I enjoy it.  But it is what I am used to doing.  I know.  Waze app could route me faster and more efficiently.  I gould use Google maps.  And any GPS with a traffic receiver would probably work better.

TMC service is free in Europe, it appears to be some subscription thing in NA. It works in parallel with anything you have playing and switches to audible announcement if TA is enabled in the head unit.

So I think I'll have to take some measurements once it's out and 3D print something. It was a good question as to if Bluetooth will work if the CD player is disconnected. They probably put it inline so it is as difficult as possible to modify. 

As far as Bluetooth-only goes, there are plenty of aftermarket amplifiers available now with built-in Bluetooth, so that would take care of getting the sound if the Ford OEM BT module requires the ACM to actually do anything beyond connecting with the BT device - which I would suspect it does. The speakers are powered by the ACM, so what good is a Bluetooth module without the headunit to play the music from the BT into the speakers? 

To remove the radio, you may find that you need something like this, if you have a 2-speaker XL. 4-channel models are available on Amazon, too. Multichannel subwoofer amps (2.1, 4.1, etc) are also available, if you wanted to add a little low-end at the same time. These amps basically turn your van into a big Bluetooth speaker, lol.

I don't know about iPhone, but Android does have built-in FM radio, so you could use the Aux cord from the phone to the amp, which the phone then also uses as an antenna (thus why FM only works with wired headphones normally). I've never really tried the FM radio on any of my phones, so I don't know how well it actually works, but it could be an option for keeping FM radio. This could actually be tested now by using your phone with the current radio, plugged into the AUX port in the van and drive around normally to see how well the reception works out. Then you'd know if it would be worth a damn as a radio replacement when plugged into the BT/Aux amplifier above.