Ford Transit Connect Forum

How Do You Check Engine Hours?

-MIKE-

I bought a 2013 Transit Connect XLT that was previously owned by an air force base.  
It has very low mileage, which is expected if it just drove around an airstrip or the base.  
But I suspect it probably sat with the engine running a good deal of the time.  

I've looked everywhere and can't figure out how to read the engine hours for this van.  
Does anyone know how?  

Luck with that, eh. Only vehicles I've seen with hours are the big diesels, and those have an actual meter or dash display.

PS ... won't give you any historical data, but it's easy enough to add your own meter, and not all that expensive either.

4 hours ago, -MIKE- said:

I've looked everywhere and can't figure out how to read the engine hours for this van.

Forget about it.  Just like buying any other used car: perform all maintenance, as if it weren't done.  It's yours now.  Start off with new oil, transmission fluid, coolant, spark plugs, air filter........

10 minutes ago, Fifty150 said:

Forget about it.  Just like buying any other used car: perform all maintenance, as if it weren't done.  It's yours now.  Start off with new oil, transmission fluid, coolant, spark plugs, air filter........

I take that as you don't know how to do it.  

38 minutes ago, -MIKE- said:

I take that as you don't know how to do it.  

Unless the meter was already installed I don't think there IS any way to do it. On just about any car. Count yourself as lucky that you found one with low mileage. Most I've seen have yakka miles. 5150's suggestions are good ones. 

Fifty150 is absolutely right. I've always preferred to change all fluids and to have all else dble-checked by MY [not seller's] mechanic.

Even trusted mechanics are human and could possibly have overlooked something, especially at busy garages where the mechanic may be interuppted at times.

What's a "trusted mechanic"?  <G>

Only reason I'll have anything to do with professional mechanics is I can't do the work anymore myself. I'm used to getting the job right the first time AND paying about a tenth of what it costs now by doing it myself. Just broke a power steering line on my Aurora that's gonna cost me $600 to install $100 worth of parts ... (mutter mumble grouse bitch)

Edited by sKiZo

• 7 months later...