• Custom Search

KevinRollin

Water intrusion in Gen2 headlights

I checked out a number of used 2015/2016 Gen2 Transit Connect Cargo vans today.  Most of them had issues with water intrusion in the headlights.  Some had visible cracking, others did not.  

How prevalent a problem is this?  (Among FTCs; I’ve had other cars with plastic headlights and some get water inside, some don’t ).

Any quick fixes or DIY solutions out there?  Or is replacement the only option?  

Huh, I haven't noticed this being a huge issue on the TC. You could try to pull the housings and seal them up but they are pretty complex units.

My van was used as a commercial vehicle and lived outside in Florida before I bought it. I haven't noticed any indications that water has gotten into the headlight housings but the lenses show serious UV damage. I'm going to end up eventually replacing the housings but they are $400+ a pop, even used. Even the tail light lenses show UV damage.

Edited by stanger_missle

I haven't seen a problem.  I would also look at the rubber seal at the front edge of the hood opening.  Some lamps are not completely sealed.  They are vented to allow for heat and condensation to escape.  Most vents are placed somewhere which doesn't receive direct water.  But if the seal on the front is allowing water through, then that could be a source of water in the lamp housing.

Mine are holding up well for now.   When I notice the water getting in I will drill a hole in the bottom to let the water back out!

Thanks everyone.  I only saw the issue at one dealer, but it was on one or both headlight on each of the three vans I saw.  🤷‍♂️

Ended up with a van from a different dealer.  

Perhaps all of those vans were involved in some sort of front end collision, the headlights were never replaced, and now they are leaking.  Just something to consider.

Mine don't have any leaks or condensation.

On 8/23/2019 at 2:58 AM, Fifty150 said:

Perhaps all of those vans were involved in some sort of front end collision, the headlights were never replaced, and now they are leaking.  Just something to consider.

That’s a good point!  Probably best I avoided those.