Ford Transit Connect Forum

Are these factory lug nuts?

jakeru

I recently got a new used 2014 transit connect XLT, and it came with some aftermarket wheels installed, mostly with the style of non-locking lug nut shown in the attached picture, as well as some different looking lug nuts I think are probably aftermarket.  Do these pictured lug nuts appear to be genuine/factory ford lug nuts?

If so, does anyone know what their part number is, so that I can order more that match?

FullSizeRender.jpg

• 1 month later...

Those are factory ford  lug nuts .  They are a steel nut with a stainless sleeve.  If you do not want trouble later find a good aftermarket Chrome replacement .

The steel nut rusts under the sleeve making the nut very hard to remove.

3 hours ago, G B L said:

Those are factory ford  lug nuts .  They are a steel nut with a stainless sleeve.  If you do not want trouble later find a good aftermarket Chrome replacement .

The steel nut rusts under the sleeve making the nut very hard to remove.

I don't suppose you would know a good source? I am having trouble finding a set (not for the TC) of small diameter lug nuts. Trouble is being able to pin down what the specific dimensions really are. I need something basically .80" or less and I need to be able to get a tool on it (also less than .80"). Definitely don't want open ended because of the same rust issue you mention. Amazon and Ebay are about worthless in narrowing down choices.

What do you think of aluminum nuts? Aluminum is generally soft and I started to shudder at the thought but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

1 hour ago, BSUPC said:

Here is a set of after market lug nuts. If you click on the blue info button it will bring up another page with specs for them. This may give you a starting point to work from. 

Thanks, I do appreciate it. However they seem to omit the overall diameter too. Most of the time its not that critical and a standard one will do the job, but these wheels have only a little more than .8" with a deep hole that the lug has to sit within. I didn't realize it when I ordered them.

The Important thing is the conical seat being the same as the wheel .  The  non capped Acorn style nuts will have a smaller OD than the OEM Capped nuts. 

If you live up in the road salt belt you want to remove the Capped nuts before you are stuck on the side of the road unable to change a flat tire.

• 2 months later...

The local ford dealer provided me with the replacement lug nuts; in stock for $5/pc.  ( Part number CV6Z-1012-C ).  On closer inspection, rest of the old lug nuts on my transit connect aren’t in that great shape, so they may all need to be replaced...

I found it interesting that this same basic nut has been updated somewhat from a very similar version found on my 2001 Focus.  Both nuts (2014 Transit Connect shown pictured on left, 2001 Focus on right) are stainless steel-capped, acorn style, with the same thread specification and same overall length, and same 19mm wrenching surface dimensions.  The transit connect’s lug nuts are however a little wider diameter where the stainless cap flares out, and this makes the 19mm diameter wrenching surfaces also a little shorter.  This design change may make it more important to fully engage the wrench on the transit connect-style nut.

I haven’t had any issues with the 17 year old, > 100k mile focus nuts, but I also don’t live in the salt belt.  (This used transit connect on the other hand, lived most of its life in Tennessee).  I always use a proper fitting lug wrench and use a torque wrench (to proper torque specifications), and I also maintain a light coating of anti-seize on the threads, so maybe that makes a difference in how long these things last.

D5BD5E34-31CB-473A-ACBB-56F3B129AA2D.jpeg

Edited by jakeru

If you live in the salt rust  belt the Stainless capped nuts will become an issue at some point. The proper wrench , Torque wrench and  anti-seize  won"t hurt but the end result will still be frustration, if the nuts are not replaced in time!

• 1 year later...

So just to recap.....

M12 X 1.5 thread pitch

60 degree conical seat

OEM lug nut should fit most aftermarket wheels which are lug centric and require a 60 degree conical seat.  Don't let wheel & tire shops & installers sell you a new lug kit, as your OEM will work just fine with most aftermarket wheels.