Ford Transit Connect Forum

Fuel Mileage Display

wingravis

I could have sworn when we bought the 2010 TC that the display showed the current gas mileage. After messing around with the display options we lost that and can't figure out how to get it back. There is nothing in the owner's manual about this. Any suggestions?

As in a real-time average MPG? Or an estimated MPG? Mine shows distance to empty at the top, the trip odometer underneath, and the odometer underneath that. I'm not aware of any way to show anything else, other than to temporarily display the clock in place of the DTE figure.

As in a real-time average MPG? Or an estimated MPG? Mine shows distance to empty at the top, the trip odometer underneath, and the odometer underneath that. I'm not aware of any way to show anything else, other than to temporarily display the clock in place of the DTE figure.

Yes, it was real time average mpg. 21.5, 23.1, etc. My wife figured out how to change the clock to 24 hour military time, too. I don't think that was in the manual, either.

Well if you figure out again let us know!

I used to have a Focus and I recall they had a not-so-secret mode that you could engage that allowed the odometer to display various information (I believe this was for Ford service techs to easily view pertinent information). The gauge cluster in the Transit Connect is from the Euro-market Mk.II Focus... maybe they still have the same trick and you inadvertently accessed it?

The old Focus trick:

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=13&ht=Instrument%20Cluster%20Test%20Mode

I could have sworn when we bought the 2010 TC that the display showed the current gas mileage. After messing around with the display options we lost that and can't figure out how to get it back. There is nothing in the owner's manual about this. Any suggestions?

As Azdamay said, it is usually possible to display various information in the instrument cluster. Here is how it is done on my 2010 Transit Connect.

Press and hold the trip odometer reset button (the one on the left of the LCD readout) and turn the ignition switch to the start position.

Release the reset button when the LCD readout says tESt (takes about 5 seconds).

The first display is gAgE (it tests all the gauges).

Then press the reset button 23 times to get to the average fuel economy (display will read rAFEand your mileage).Mine reads 28 which is what I get when I figure it out myself.

There are 26 different displays,a few are, trouble codes(press 8 times), engine temp (press 19 times), battery voltage (press 21 times).

To exit the display mode, just turn off the ignition.

I have not found a way to keep any of the displays working when the Transit Connect is running.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the above on my 2010 Transit. It works. Wish I knew when the average fuel economy reading started. When it was new 52k miles ago or last 1000 miles or what. I have checked it many times and it does not seem to reset at fill up or when resetting trip odometer. Mine reads 23mpg now which is what I get mostly when I check it the old fashioned way. I wish I knew what all the other info was.

• 9 months later...

Sticky this!

Well if you figure out again let us know!

I used to have a Focus and I recall they had a not-so-secret mode that you could engage that allowed the odometer to display various information (I believe this was for Ford service techs to easily view pertinent information). The gauge cluster in the Transit Connect is from the Euro-market Mk.II Focus... maybe they still have the same trick and you inadvertently accessed it?

The old Focus trick:

http://www.focushack...r%20Test%20Mode

As Azdamay said, it is usually possible to display various information in the instrument cluster. Here is how it is done on my 2010 Transit Connect.

Press and hold the trip odometer reset button (the one on the left of the LCD readout) and turn the ignition switch to the start position.

Release the reset button when the LCD readout says tESt (takes about 5 seconds).

The first display is gAgE (it tests all the gauges).

Then press the reset button 23 times to get to the average fuel economy (display will read rAFEand your mileage).Mine reads 28 which is what I get when I figure it out myself.

There are 26 different displays,a few are, trouble codes(press 8 times), engine temp (press 19 times), battery voltage (press 21 times).

To exit the display mode, just turn off the ignition.

I have not found a way to keep any of the displays working when the Transit Connect is running.

Sticky This! :yahoo:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Starting with gAgE (tests sweep of all gauges) as number 1, there are 28 positions with the test mode starting over in position 28.

here are definitions of some of the positions......

4, 5 and 6 display ROM formats.

7 and 8 are hexadecimal coding of the manufacturing start date.

9 stores DTC's in hexadecimal format. If there are no DTC's, nonE is displayed.

10 through 13 are speedometer read outs

14 is the tach in hexadecimal format.

15 is the odometer in decimal format.

16 through 19 are fuel level outputs

20 is the engine temperature

22 is the battery voltage

23 is the DTE(distance to empty)

24 is the average fuel economy

28 Repeats gAge

• 4 months later...

I have a related issue. I will post a separate thread but though someone reading here might have the answer...

In my 2011 TC the display shows Distance To Empty, not the time (and there is in fact a separate clock on the radio. However, because of mounted equipment I cannot SEE the radio while I drive.) I can press the button and see the time but then it reverts to DTE. I would like to have the CLOCK displayed CONSTANTLY and the DTE be the optional display mode, visible only when pressed. I feel confident this must be a simple fix but the dealer had no clue. Any help?

Thanks!

Tom The Bug Man in Rhode Island, USA

• 4 months later...

Starting with gAgE (tests sweep of all gauges) as number 1, there are 28 positions with the test mode starting over in position 28.

here are definitions of some of the positions......

4, 5 and 6 display ROM formats.

7 and 8 are hexadecimal coding of the manufacturing start date.

9 stores DTC's in hexadecimal format. If there are no DTC's, nonE is displayed.

10 through 13 are speedometer read outs

14 is the tach in hexadecimal format.

15 is the odometer in decimal format.

16 through 19 are fuel level outputs

20 is the engine temperature

22 is the battery voltage

23 is the DTE(distance to empty)

24 is the average fuel economy

28 Repeats gAge

I just tried this on my 2013 TC XL. It works exactly as explained, but it took 44 steps to get back to gAge. It appears they have added a bunch of Axx and Pxx displays at the end,

These are the readouts I'm seeing on my 2013 TC test mode (with the engine not running)

1. gAgE (dial sweeps, etc)

2. test of all the segments on the LCD display

3. test of all the LED instrument cluster display

4. r0426

5. Er0426

6. E 01

7. dtSt 70

8. dt 1F02

9. dtc rotates with NoNE

10. SP 0

11. SP 0

12. 5900A2

13. TA 0

14. T 90088

15. od 0

16. F 254 (fuel tank was practically full)

17. F9038E

18. FL 00

19. FP C7

20. 45 C (engine still slightly warm from running earlier)

21. 051 C9

22. bt (flashing between 124 and 125)

23. dte 328 (distance to empty)

24. rAFE 22

25. PATS 0

26. A0-FF

27. A0-FF

28. A2-93

29. A4-0E

30. P01-(flashing between 85 and 89)

31. P02-(flashing between 00 and 01)

32. P05-07

33. P08-82

34. P10-FC

35. P11(flashing between 10 and 14)

36. P12-00

37. P13-61

38. P16-97

39. P19-00

40. P20-00

41. P21-00

42. P22-00

43. P23-00

44. repeats back to gAgE

• 3 years later...

My, we have come a long way.  

I also have a dash mounted ScanGauge II.  Did that about 10 years ago, when it seemed like only dealerships had access to real time information via proprietary software on laptops.

41qMjPa5oJL._SL256_.jpg41JKUZw6eXL._SL256_.jpg

Then I got my hands on a SCTFlash LiveWire.  That mounted onto the dash of another car.  

LW_2.4.jpg

Next thing you know, smaller laptops and netbooks were on the market, and at a much lower price point.  Before you knew it, everyone was walking around with a laptop.  I was driving around with a laptop mounted in my car.  There was now a USB cable that connected to OBD II.  

41OmNabkk9L.jpg

Today, you can get cheap Android tablets, and download free apps.  The OBD II can now be accessed via Bluetooth for less than $10.  I just saw one on eBay for $3.58 USD.

ELM327 OBD2 II Bluetooth Auto Car OBD2 Diagnostic Interface Scanner Tool DS

• ELM327 OBD2 II Bluetooth Auto Car OBD2 Diagnostic Interface Scanner Tool DS

Popular31 viewed per day

ELM327 OBD2 II Bluetooth Auto Car OBD2 Diagnostic Interface Scanner Tool DS

Quantity:
More than 10 available
  • $3.58

• + Free Shipping
  •  
Condition: New
Popularity: 94 sold
Sold by:
99.1% Positive feedback
Delivery:
Estimated Oct. 26- Dec. 1
Returns: 30 days

When you're going 80 MPH, and you take your foot off the pedal and/or step on the clutch and shift into neutral to drift downhill, you will see 99 MPG.  

• 6 years later...