Ford Transit Connect Forum

TC XLT 2016 rear caliper and brake questions?

12 hours ago, trou68 said:

Thank you, I was hoping to have torque values for them so I don't over torque them bolts...

Appreciate heads up on brake release tool. I'm wondering if vise grips pliers will work, but I will look into it. 

No, you can't grab the piston with any kind of pliers. The piston has two little eyes the keys fit in. Someone told me that after I failed to replace mine. Will try again this summer when the weather gets warmer.

Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 11.15.53.png

On 4/21/2023 at 3:22 PM, trou68 said:

was hoping to have torque values for them so I don't over torque them bolts..

The most important thing to torque is the lug nuts to prevent warping the rotors.  caliper bolts are in the thirty lb range.

On 4/22/2023 at 4:20 AM, mrtn said:

No, you can't grab the piston with any kind of pliers. The piston has two little eyes the keys fit in. Someone told me that after I failed to replace mine. Will try again this summer when the weather gets warmer.

Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 11.15.53.png

I have a tool set for the caliper piston..

I was referring to the emergency brake springs you spoke about earlier 

Edited by trou68

• 6 months later...
On 7/31/2019 at 9:21 AM, jrm223 said:

I have rear pads & rotors sitting in my van waiting to be installed. But, I also seem to have the longest lasting brakes here lol; I see lots of posts here about premature brake wear as early as 5-6K miles. I have 106K miles (bought brand new, so definitely no brake jobs in the past), the front pads still look brand new and the rears had 2mm left at 102K miles, but mostly highway miles and I've always coast down as much as I can. I bought the actual caliper compression kit that has the different adapters for about $25 on Amazon, but thank you for the heads-up that they're both clockwise so I don't have to figure it out later! 

I'm with you at 86,000 and still original.  I"ve also had pads sitting here for 6 years after reading of guys complaining that they were replacing them at 30k miles yada yada...... obviously fully loaded with tools and lead feet.  ;)