zeilstar

TURTLE roof rack from Turkey

While researching aftermarket rail and rack options, I came across this company in Turkey. Looks like decent manufacturing. 3 cross bars. I literally just ordered one, so will be excited to see how it works out. What was interesting to me was the rails are basically L track, like what is used to secure airplane loads. Should be versatile enough for me to load kayaks onto.

The brand is TURTLE

http://turtlecancarry.com/

https://turtlecancarry.de/

Ebay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/To-Fit-2014-Ford-Transit-Tourneo-Connect-LWB-Roof-Rails-Roof-Rack-Black/323761409103?epid=20029726155&hash=item4b61af0c4f:g:7s0AAOSwB6ZcsuYL

Listed at $380 from Germany, I'm paying $275 (shipped) from Turkey to Michigan, via the email address in the Youtube comments.

I was originally thinking of doing a Unistrut system for rails, but wasn't confident on how many mounting points to use, and whether or not the roof curves front to back or is level, then got the price for this rack and just went for it.

That looks like a pretty slick setup. You piqued my interest with L-track, but it looks like that's a proprietary hex-shaped setup, so you'll need their special connectors instead of standard L-track ones. I custom bent two L-track rails a few years ago now and really need to stop procrastinating on installing them, haha. But, I pulled my front headliner out last weekend, so now I have less excuse for procrastinating - I'll be drilling and putting in nut-serts (rivnuts, whatever) using the bolt pattern that's on the L-track I bought. One problem is that the rails I bought are a little bit shorter than the channels on the roof, so I won't be able to go full front-to-back with them like I want to, oh well. I can always pick up a couple short sections to finish it out at some point. 

Let us know how it goes.  I've been looking for a sub $500 roof rack that uses the stock mounting points (no drilling and riveting) since I bought my '14 last year.  It would be nice to be able to haul the kayak without having to haul a trailer around.

Was this delivered yet?  Any thoughts or first impressions?

So, I bought this rack system from the link above.  Purchased on Friday and it was shipped from Germany and delivered on Wednesday.  Very quick shipping.

I checked into the better name brands... Thule, Yakima, etc... but decided the cost was too much for my needs.  A couple times a year I might want to transport something that doesn’t easily fit inside... extension ladder, lumber, pipe, etc.  Under $500 was my budget.

The rails and racks are decent quality.  Absolutely good enough for my needs.  If I wanted to strap a kayak or luggage carrier on top... it would work just fine.  As best I can tell there are no accessory items for this system... just the rails and racks.

The frustrating part was 2 of the 6 screws that connect the rails to the roof were too short... how does a manufacturer let this happen?  But a trip to Home Depot got the correct length metric screw.  And a page of instruction was clearly missing but 5 minutes of pondering figured out how this went together.

If a trip to HD wasn’t necessary the installation would have taken about 1-1/2 hours at an easy pace.  So far the best solution I’ve seen for this price.  I can recommend this system... in spite of the fact it wasn’t 100% complete.

F943B665-8843-4803-9766-5717D219E9D2.jpeg

Nice porthole window.

My only reservations about products like this, from overseas and a brand unknown - is strength & rigidity.  A big chance to take if everything is not as strong as it should be.  You don't want to be the person to find out that a mounting bolt corroded & stripped, or it just collapses because your ladder or kayak was too heavy.  

Looks good.  Your cargo van without a headliner must have been a lot easier to install.  Did you take any photos of your own install?