Ford Transit Connect Forum

Traction Control Question

djezrock

Hello all. 

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I am about to buy a 2011 Transit Connect and the seller say they disabled the traction control because he was getting stuck in less than an inch of snow. Does this sound like a legit reason to disconnect or may he be just hiding a faulty traction control. I am not sure how it was discontented yet, if he just pulled a fuse or what exactly he did. Will look at the vehicle in a few days here. If this traction control is always off, what else would be turned off that could be dangerous to drive?

Any help appreciated and thanks in advance!!!!

He's probably talking about pushing the little button on the dashboard.

Related imageRelated imageimage.jpeg.8879e646daaee625e627d5cb2a95acbc.jpegRelated image

Ford Traction Control
A traction control system (TCS), also known as ASR (from German: Antriebsschlupfregelung, lit. 'engine slippage regulation'), is typically (but not necessarily) a secondary function of the electronic stability control (ESC) on production motor vehicles, designed to prevent loss of traction of driven road wheels.Traction control system - WikipediaWikipedia

The algorithm the traction control uses makes knowing how to turn it off a necessity .  I am not sure what was done to disable it.  If you drive in snowy conditions find a parking lot and see what the traction control does and the procedure for switching it off. It works much better in rainy conditions.

I wish the Gen 2 had a visible button on the dash to switch it off.   

It is a 2011 so I don't believe there was a button that actually turns it off. I will talk to him again today and see exactly what they did but he said there mechanic disabled it (which could of been as simple as pulling a fuse)

13 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

I have a little button right in front of the shifter.

I was hoping I had such a button, but nooooooo…….I have to go through some convoluted sequence on the info display. And then go through that same convoluted sequence AGAIN......every time I switch the engine off. They should make it legal to strangle engineers.?

55 minutes ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

They should make it legal to strangle engineers.?

If you strangle the engineer, the suits and bean counters will laugh and high-five each other... because if it was up to the engineer you'd have more switches, dials, buttons, and gauges than you can shake a stick at.  ??

May get some snow around here next few days so will have a chance to 'test' traction control.  I read somewhere that that it "can" cause problems in 'slush' & light snow. The remedy was said to pull the fuse.  But of course proper tires are absolute must.   My winter tires are mounted on their own rims & ready for installing.

PS: Math prof OLD joke => when engineer is asked "how much is 1+1, he pulls out sliderule to calculate".

Edited by Gideon
add info

4 hours ago, G B L said:

Fifty 150 You are lucky . I wish mine had your switch instead of the electronic switch in the Information center.

Notice that I don't have an information center.  That's why I have an Amazon Fire 7" mounted in front of my AM/FM only, no SYNC radio.  They might as well have sold me a car with a record player in the dashboard.

Related image