Ford Transit Connect Forum

turn signal clicker needs to be louder

engineer

22 hours ago, engineer said:

How can the turn signal clicker be changed to be louder?  Where is it located and \ or how can it be made louder?

I agree. It's hard to hear the signal when it's on. I often don't notice it's still on when making a lane change that's not enough turn to go off by itself.

On 9/13/2017 at 8:40 AM, mrtn said:

You don't. It's not a purpose-built clicker but a bi-metal fuse and you can hear the contacts clicking mechanically.

. . . . or at least it was in a '55 Chevy  :)

On most 'modern' cars, there is no 'clicker' and the computer flashes the turn lights . . . . . you won't find any bi-metal mechanical flasher anywhere.  You can't add trailer lights (without installing a special circuit) because the computer doesn't like the additional power the trailer lights draw.  The sound is also computer generated.  On my 2012 Mitsubishi, you (actually, the dealer can) choose from 3 different sounds . . . . .  but you still can't adjust the volume  -  It's fixed

If you could make it louder, there would need to be some way to make it softer too, as it's already louder than some of us would like

Don

On 9/13/2017 at 8:06 PM, windguy said:

I agree. It's hard to hear the signal when it's on. I often don't notice it's still on when making a lane change that's not enough turn to go off by itself.

Most newer cars (anything made in the last 8 or 10 years) have what's called a 'lane change feature'  -  You touch the turn signal stalk for the direction you want but don't press it hard enough that it's 'clicked on' . . . . just touch it and release it and that gives you three flashes of your turn signals and it shuts itself off.  You'll never be driving for miles and miles with your signals flashing ever again!  :love_shower:

Don't feel badly  -  I'll bet 50% of drivers don't know their car has this feature, so you're not alone  :)  -  I just pointed it out to my brother in law a few weeks ago and he knew nothing about it.  You can tell those who do . . . . their signals flash exactly three times whenever they change lanes

Don

On 9/15/2017 at 9:24 AM, Beta Don said:

Most newer cars (anything made in the last 8 or 10 years) have what's called a 'lane change feature'  -  You touch the turn signal stalk for the direction you want but don't press it hard enough that it's 'clicked on' . . . . just touch it and release it and that gives you three flashes of your turn signals and it shuts itself off.  You'll never be driving for miles and miles with your signals flashing ever again!  :love_shower:

Don't feel badly  -  I'll bet 50% of drivers don't know their car has this feature, so you're not alone  :)  -  I just pointed it out to my brother in law a few weeks ago and he knew nothing about it.  You can tell those who do . . . . their signals flash exactly three times whenever they change lanes

Don

good to know, thanks.

I kind of thought newer cars don't have turn signals anymore. Rarely see anyone using them around here in LA :swear:

32 minutes ago, windguy said:

good to know, thanks.

I kind of thought newer cars don't have turn signals anymore. Rarely see anyone using them around here in LA :swear:

LA traffic is.....words cannot describe LA drivers.  If you don't have to, don't drive in LA.  Visiting?  Take a cab.

Or is that what people say about NY?