Ford Transit Connect Forum

cooling the TC

maybe someone can shed some light on the AC options on cooling the TC, we travel with dogs to shows ect, we currently have a 2016 Subaru Forester, the AC is not the most efficient out there, we had a 2003 Dodge Caravan the AC was fantastic. so we are hoping the TC has better AC than the Subaru, i am reading about rear AC on the TC is this basically just ductwork to the rear or another AC unit for the rear, is the AC unit the same as in a TC cargo vs the wagon with seats.,

chet

• 2 months later...

I see no one replied to you... I am considering a TC right now for dogs, so wondering what you decided on?   I can't decide between getting the passenger that comes with rear climate control and removing all the seats or getting the cargo and trying to have rear heat air installed. 

My 2008 Explorer will freeze us FAST. My 2017 TC will chill you after a little while. The AC works but not as strongly as on my older model Ford ;(  Slow enough that I had the dealer check it out, they said it was normal. However AFTER they checked it, it seemed to start to work better. Still not as good as my never worked on 2008 AC. Hmmm?

Could it be that it's cooling way more cubic feet of warm air than your previous ride . . . . and there's lots more glass and uninsulated sheet metal letting the heat in than you had before?

3M makes an almost invisible tint that blocks about 80% of the solar radiation and covering the windshield with that will make quite a difference.  I did the front windows with it and put a strip about a foot wide on the top of the windshield and I know it really made a difference.  The tint shop wanted to do the entire windshield and showed me a couple other vans and trucks they had done, but I was a bit worried about night driving, as I have pretty bad glaucoma, so I hesitated

Don

I think the AC unit is simply in the front of the vehicle, and duct work delivers cool air to the rear.  The AC unit provides for cool air, and blowers move it around.  The wagons have a fan control switch accessible to second row passengers, which does help.  So while you don' havet 2 separate AC units, the wagon provides a second fan and duct work to move the cool air along.  

Tinted windows help.  Your passengers simply don't "feel" the sun on their skin.  The wagon has some interior insulation, as compared to the cargo van with bare metal.  

I drove E-150, E-250, and E-350 cargo vans for years.  Believe me, it gets really hot in the back of cargo vans and the AC blowing out of the front dash vents just isn't enough to cool the cargo area.  Ford engineers simply did not design a cargo van for the comfort of living cargo.......because most of the time, boxes and pallets don't complain.

Get a rooftop refrigeration unit.  Guys delivering flowers, fish, meat, produce, ice cream, et cetera, use them.