Ford Transit Connect Forum

Brodit phone holder installed

mrtn

Ordered a model-specific Brodit phone holder base and Arkon-type swivel mount for my existing third party wireless charger/holder.

Here's the base on Brodit website.

It clicks into existing console/vent gaps and does not require any tools to install. Had Brodit bits in all my cars, because it don't leave a mark when removed for selling the car.

The phone is a bit too near the steering wheel due to the base-swivel-holder combined thickness but manageable. If you take the base and phone-specific holder from them it's going to be much thinner.

Edited by mrtn
broken links

• 4 weeks later...

I bit the bullet and installed one in my 2016 van. I chose the model that fits on the right side of the center section. I was worried about the reach, but I can touch the bottom third of my iPhone 6S screen without lifting my arm off the armrest. It doesn't block vents or access to anything on the dash. I am partially blind and find it somewhat difficult to see the screen at that distance. The phone just lifts easily in and out of the holster. So far, I think this product seems worth the money.

Dealing with the American distributor was a bit of a hassle. Their web site didn't function well and required at least a half dozen tries to get my selections to register. Also, they did not include the plastic panel separators that are supposed to be with the unit, so getting the thing installed without damaging the dash was a challenge. Their shipping was pretty fast. This thing is really a tight fit. I didn't bother to expose the adhesive panels before installing.

I did expose the adhesive pads just to make sure it sits really tight and would not budge. Mine did not include the gap tools either but I think this particular model does not need them, Ford has nice wide panel gaps from the factory ;)

My version attaches within a very constrained space. The mount actually seems to be too large to fit at first and required several attempts to get it into place. I was worried about breaking either the mount or my panels. The gap tools would have been nice to have.

Another negative about the USA vendor that had me aborting purchase twice was their requirement to set up an account with username, password, blah, blah, blah...Really an intrusion these days when all they should require is CC info and a shipping address. A PayPal option would have been nice also.

Don't ever be afraid of drilling holes into your car.  Sometimes, you need to drill holes to install what you want.  Communications equipment works best with an antenna mounted onto the roof.  Over the years, I've drilled plenty of holes to install aftermarket lighting products.  I'm already eyeing that extra metal above the windshield, between the windshield and the roof, as an ideal mounting spot for a 52" LED light bar.  Those huge spoilers don't simply stick onto your Honda with double sided adhesive.  Just make sure that you apply a little bit of Rustoleum to protect the bare metal, and use a little silicon to seal the hole from leaks.  

On a side note, WeatherTech Rain Guards install just as easily as the ProClip mounting base.  They snap right in without tools.   

Ford 2016 Transit Connect Side Window Deflectors - In-Window-ChannelPart #: 80751

FORD_Transit_15_80751.jpg

6 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Don't ever be afraid of drilling holes into your car.  Sometimes, you need to drill holes to install what you want.......

That's what I eventually ended up doing. I've used the RAM bases and arms in the last couple vehicles I've owned. The stock RAM bases were close but not quite what I wanted in the TC. So in the end I used a bit if Kydex sheeting and some trim pins to get a low profile base mount attached to holes drilled in the lower dash trim panel.

large.DSCN0254.JPG.b2bc263b35b4bf5520295

large.DSCN0251.JPG.2780cf928b6eaddfee71b

large.DSCN0252.JPG.20084d14cd1ba3cf5d910

On 9/15/2016 at 2:23 PM, mrtn said:

Pretty sure you can unsubscribe from their mailing list and it is not spam if you forgot to tick "Do not send me anything" when placing the order.

That may be true. I was so distraught from having to re-enter my purchase info half a dozen times on their purchase page I couldn't wait to get out and didn't notice any opt-out! (I'm vision-challenged which doesn't help!)

• 2 weeks later...