Ford Transit Connect Forum

Cargo security shade, anyone have/seen one?

mmontminy

I've got a 2014 TC SWB wagon that I made up a rear shelf using rubbermade shelving. Works ok, but I'd like something a bit nicer. I was thinking of getting the official cargo cover, http://amzn.com/B00IUYHAGA

I can't find any info on it. I'm curious as to how well it folds up, and how much weight it would carry. I don't put anything heavy up top, but since I do like to put smaller lighter stuff up top.

If anyone has one, or has seen one in person, what's your opinion on it?

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is on the way. I ordered from Levittown Ford ( https://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com) since they had the lowest price I could find. However, that Amazon link with shipping included is now the cheapest I've found. I messaged my local dealer for a quote but they never got back to me (typical).

I'll have a report on whether it was worth it soon!

A few photos here, apologies for the quality as I took it at night: http://imgur.com/a/tUJDh

mEQX6mH.jpg

The whole thing is made out of a fairly rigid fiberglass-reinforced-plastic-style material, covered with mouse fur. It snaps into the ends of the tracks at the front and back of the cargo area's interior trim panels. You can open it to a second position for loading as displayed in the second photo.

Io7qQwu.jpg

The whole thing is constructed out of FRP covered with mouse fur and rests on the track on either side. There is a sticker instructing you not to put bags on top of it, although it's stiff enough that you could probably get away with lighter objects.

qco8a3L.jpg

Unfortunately, mine arrived broken, which I need to take up with the dealer:

61oqM20.jpg

The broken part doesn't keep the cover from being used, however it probably contributes to the rattling while driving over bad roads. The rest of the perimeter has little rubber feet to quiet it down. In any case, a cautionary tale to perhaps order from your local dealer and inspect it before taking delivery. A lot can happen between Romania (where it's made!) and your doorstep.

Thanks looks very nice I would have liked it if it had fit my van, Good Pictures .

The design looks very nice. All companies tend to compromise the end product by saving money with the choice of materials.

Thanks again for the post

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the review. I'm *really* tempted to get one, I like the look, but I still don't think it will hold much weight at all.

I currently have some rubbermaid coated wire shelving, and while it works ok, it's very bouncy. I don't put much weight up there, but more than a plastic shelve can probably handle if a wire shelf flexes.

The lower portion holds my dog crates, so I really need the upper section for general purpose stuff. I'll probably look into making up a hinged shelf out of wood covered with carpet.

• 3 months later...

I ordered one and it arrived broken also  -  I sent it back

The round circle with the red slash you see in the center of the back panel in the above pictures is to remind you not to sit anything heavy on it

I was disappointed it didn't come with the car as my last few cars have all had one and I loved the way they work  -  The Ford one was a big disappointment and I won't be ordering another.  If it was $50, maybe, but at $135 plus tax, it's way overpriced, IMO

Don

• 5 months later...

After like three times sending mine back and getting another broken one, I just decided to keep it (or rather, the dealership stopped sending me shipping labels to send it back and I just accepted...). I do agree that it's overpriced and wish the vehicle came with it, but I don't regret having it.

My dealer wasn't very co-operative either.  They have a 'No Returns On Special Order Items' policy.  When mine arrived it was pretty obvious that it had been opened and re-taped closed several times . . . . I wasn't the first unfortunate person to waste my time and money on this particular broken accessory.  When I discovered it was broken and took it back they told me they would order me another one.  I told them don't bother, as it's obviously not a quality product and not worth the money  -  Just give me a refund.  We can't do that, the parts guy told me  -  No refunds on special order parts.  I asked to talk to the dealership manager and he basically said the same thing.  I told him that it's broken and must be returned anyway, but he still refused.  I told him them that he just scored a really great deal then  -  He's got my $135 and he also has the piece of junk I ordered and I left and went home 

He called me the next day and said he was going to refund 80% of my money.  Why 80% and not 100% I asked?  There's a 20% 'restocking fee' he says.  I told him I certainly hope you're not 'restocking' it because it's broken  -  Looking at all the tape on the box, it's already been 'restocked' and returned several times.  Anyway, out of the goodness of his heart, I got 80% of my money back and he 'restocked' the broken cover once again . . . . maybe one of the broken ones you got was my 'restocked' one?

Way to go Ford!

The worst thing about this whole mess is that I now have to drive much further for recalls and such as I'm not going back to this guy, for sure.  He 'earns' probably 20% or so on every special order item he sells and he wasn't willing to give up his $27 'profit' to just send in the broken item back and refund the purchase price, so now he's got one less customer for however many years I own this vehicle . . . . and I have to drive about 15 miles farther to another dealer.  Unfortunately, the other dealer isn't any better, but that's an even longer story . . . .

This is my first Ford  -  Are all their dealers this bad?

Don

Edited by Beta Don

1 hour ago, Beta Don said:

Are all their dealers this bad?

Don

Don, 

Dealerships can be good or bad, depending on when you walk into them.  With turnover, you simply get some people who are better at what they do, and sometimes you get someone who is not so good.  The same goes for the sales staff.  And that is at every brand.  I've encountered good and bad, at Honda, Ford, Chevy.....you name it.  

When I bought the Transit Connect, I went to the dealership closest to my house.  Salesman there was fixed on trying to sell me the highest priced car, instead of the car that I wanted.  I pointed out that the car I wanted was right there on the lot, and he insisted that it was already sold to someone else.  So I left.  A few days later, he calls me and says that the car I wanted was now available.  Then he would not negotiate on price, and said something about cars today are sold at asking price (sticker) because.....blah, blah, blah.

I get the car I want, from another dealership........are you ready for this?  I paid what I wanted, not the asking price.  

5 weeks later, I get a call from the first dealership.  A sales manager wanted to follow up with why they didn't get to close the deal.  I told him the story.  He apologized and explained that the salesman has since been fired, and that was why he was following up to see if he could salvage any of the lost business.  In compensation, he offered a free oil change, and asked if they could at least have my business for service and recalls. 

My girlfriend went to a Honda dealership where the service advisor told her that every Honda had to have a full service (transmission service, spark plugs, coolant exchange, brakes, and alignment) annually, in order for her new car warranty to be valid.  She said she'll check her calendar and call back to schedule a service when she can leave the car there for a few days.  He sang a different tune when I brought the same car back.  I went to the manager of the dealership, and politely inquired as to why his service advisors were cheating customers.  As if women can't read the owners manual or service schedule, or warranty guidelines.  While at the service manager desk, I called the Bureau of Automotive Repair and asked to file a complaint.

But then again, you get good service reps.  I've had service people work on cars as "after warranty adjustment" and gotten work done free.  

I took it to the second dealership because when I bought it the passenger window would only roll up or down in increments of about an inch and a half  -  It took 6 or 7 pushes of the button to get it all the way down and the same thing going up.  It was pretty obvious to me that it was something to do with the CanBus programming  -  Quick fix, or so I thought.  The rear wiper was also not working and I asked them to check that out too

I called to make an appointment and explained what was going on and she said to bring it in first thing in the morning and they would get right to it.  I showed up at 7:30 and waited until about 1PM when she told me they weren't going to get to it that day and I would need to leave the car there.  Brought it back the next day and left it, she called the day after that and said they were going to have to order a new window motor.  Two days later, she calls and says the new motor didn't fix it and hey would need another day.  Then the bombshell  -  The rear wiper had a blown fuse . . . . and fuses aren't covered under the warranty.  I would have to pay a $99 'diagnostic fee' for changing the fuse.  What's the 'diagnostic fee' for I asked.  We have to diagnose it to find out why the fuse blew.  Well, what did my $99 diagnosis tell us?  We don't know  -  We replaced the fuse and it didn't blow again.  So I said that I didn't actually get any 'diagnosis' at all  -  I just paid $99 to have the fuse changed?  She says, I guess you could look at it that way.  I said I don't see any other way we could look at it

Two days later, someone who can read the book found out what to change in the computer program and the 15 minute fix for the window problem was done.  Since it took them a full week instead of 15 minutes (the day I first brought it in) they graciously waived the $99 fee for changing the fuse  -  I saved them twice that when I told them upfront I didn't really need a loaner car . . . . for what turned out to be a full week

So  -  I'm down two dealers I won't be visiting again.  One more like these two and I'll need to go out of state to get anything done.  TC's weren't made here and in my experience, some dealers don't know much about them and they aren't in any hurry to learn.  I had 'planned' (for the first time in my life) to just take my new Ford to the dealer and let them do all the routine maintenance, but with the underpan on the engine I'm not at all convinced that for an oil change they may just pump out the old through the dipstick and to heck with changing the filter, so I've revised my plans  -  Nobody from Ford is going to touch my car if I can help it.  It may be a pain for me to do it all with my ramps, but at least I'll know it was done correctly when it's finished

My daughter took her brand new Hyundai to the dealer for an oil change. A day or two later, she's smelling something and then her check engine light comes on  -  The dealer had neglected to put the oil filler cap back on.  They kept the car for three days to steam clean everything and gave her a loaner car, but it may be a year or two before she knows if it did any damage to the engine  -  She'll probably find out just after the warranty runs out 

Think I'll give her a set of ramps for her birthday 

Don

On 2/18/2017 at 0:02 PM, Beta Don said:

My daughter took her brand new Hyundai to the dealer for an oil change. A day or two later, she's smelling something and then her check engine light comes on  -  The dealer had neglected to put the oil filler cap back on.  They kept the car for three days to steam clean everything and gave her a loaner car, but it may be a year or two before she knows if it did any damage to the engine  -  She'll probably find out just after the warranty runs out 

Think I'll give her a set of ramps for her birthday 

Don

Doesn't Kia/Hyundai/Daewoo offer a 10 year warranty on their cars?