Ford Transit Connect Forum

Things that could be improved on the TC

I use my TC for my carpentry business. I want:

DIESEL

4x4

Manual trans availability

Higher roof weight capacity-220 lbs is only good for a few ladders or sheets of ply

Most importantly- do away with the strange power locks for a US style set up!!!!!!! Separate the cargo doors from the front and from all of the auto-unlock features, and put key locks on the outside

I'm looking at the TC to replace my aging F-150 shortbed for my carpentry-related business. However one serious, serious problem with the TC design is the lack of a tailgate/hatchback option. I don't haul a lot of lumber or long stuff, but I do it often enough that I need to let it hang out the back. My F-150 I can just flop the tailgate down, and strap the material, easily hauling stuff up to 10' long. Or let it hang over the top of the tailgate with the hard tonneau cover (A.R.E. cover) strapped down. How am I going to accomplish this with the TC?

On top of that, I work in tight urban areas. (That's what the TC is for, right?) Well, how come I never see any of the ad pictures for the TC parallel parked, with someone trying to get enough space behind it to swing open those doors? All I see is pictures of the TC parked in huge driveways in suburbia. Most of where I work, there are no driveways, you parallel park on the street. With my F-150, I can get in the back with virtually no clearance, by flipping the cover UP, rather than swinging it to the side.

Other than that, this looks like the ideal vehicle for me. But this lack of tailgate/hatchback option seems like a deal breaker. How hard could it be to add that? I can't be the first one to bring this up, every carpenter I know would have the same issue.

I'm looking at the TC to replace my aging F-150 shortbed for my carpentry-related business. However one serious, serious problem with the TC design is the lack of a tailgate/hatchback option. I don't haul a lot of lumber or long stuff, but I do it often enough that I need to let it hang out the back.

I struggled with the same issue. I really wanted a TC but from time to time I need to haul lumber/plywood for woodworking projects. It will replace my old E-150 van. I finally decided that a roof rack would make it versatile enough to suit my needs. So I went ahead and ordered a new TC yesterday. Maybe it'll be here by July.

By the way, I have frequently hauled long pieces of lumber in my old van with the ends hanging out the back. I just tied the doors together as tightly as possible. We should be able to do that to some degree with the TC.

Eric

I live in an urban area too. Heres what I do to open the doors. I parallel park and pull all the way forward almost touching the bumper of the car in front of me. I go and open the doors and fold them back (I have the 255 degree doors) and then I back up a comfortable distance, giving room to the car in front of me. With the doors open and folded in, there is plenty of room to manuver in a tight parking spot.

I think you'll love the transit. I have hauled pretty long pieces of lumber too. I either tuck them between the front seats on the counsol or to the right of the passenger seat.

Works for a few pieces as long as its not plywood. You'll need a roof rack for that.

I put one of Prime Design's Aluracks on mine. Absolutely the ticket for carrying roof cargo. It has multiple cross bars, so plywood, sheetrock and the like are no problem and easily loaded.

My only concern is Ford's weight rating for the roof- 220 lbs isn't much! The racks on my Super Duty are good for 1000!

All in all, love the Transit for my smaller jobs and in town, but I don't think it will ever completely replace the trusty truck.

Dave

A six, or more, speed transmission.

Disk brakes all around.

A parts dept. aftermarket kit to add the new 2011 rear quarter panel power windows and the new rear wheel carpeting to a 2010 year model XLT Wagon.

A LOUDER horn!

I live in an urban area too. Heres what I do to open the doors. I parallel park and pull all the way forward almost touching the bumper of the car in front of me. I go and open the doors and fold them back (I have the 255 degree doors) and then I back up a comfortable distance, giving room to the car in front of me.

That's crazy. Now how do you close the doors, repeat the process? And then when you come back out an hour later to get something, repeat it again?

I agree there are workarounds like this. And of course I can leave something sticking out and do some kind of hillbilly thing with bungee cords. But you'd think Ford could design something that was actually usable out-of-the-box for tradesmen. Don't they talk to any real guys who actually use work vehicles? A tailgate/hatchback option would alleviate this. This really isn't rocket science.

Are you talking about something like this: If so I don't think that's a very common configuration on vans? I don't recall Ford ever offering it on the Econoline/E-series vans, for example.

Close, but on that configuration, you still need to swing open the doors. (Although it would be more workable than what they have now). I'm talking more about what I show in the attached pic.

This is pretty basic stuff for any tradesman. If Ford never offered it on their vans in the past proves nothing. They should start listening to their customers. Maybe in suburbia, this isn't an issue, but I thought the TC is supposed to be geared to working in the city.

And letting long stuff hang out the back is essential. The roof load limit is too light to put much up there, and you may already have that space taken up by a ladder. Putting material on the roof is a last resort anyway. It takes much longer to secure it safely. For a weekend warrior, that's fine, but when you are in business, time is money. Lifting stuff up there is another opportunity for employees to get injured, for stuff to slide off and cause damage.

tailgate:hatch.tiff

post-1436-0-77492500-1301162922_thumb.jp

Edited by hdrider_chgo

I am surprised I haven't heard anything about the ride quality. Around a nice city street is great but on the hwy the ride is S.

Also,

Some form of insulation from road noise.- clients can't hear me when driving. (bluetooth becomes useless)

clearance for chains.

more power

power points that are key'd with the ignition so we can leave our gps plugged in.

a/c that turns off completely

sun visor extension or option

Better radio- hear this is coming?

change side mirrors so they don't capture every single cars headlights at night!

Flat fold down front seat with console on the back like some mini vans have.

Otherwise - love it.

...This is pretty basic stuff for any tradesman. If Ford never offered it on their vans in the past proves nothing...

And letting long stuff hang out the back is essential. The roof load limit is too light to put much up there, and you may already have that space taken up by a ladder. Putting material on the roof is a last resort anyway. It takes much longer to secure it safely. For a weekend warrior, that's fine, but when you are in business, time is money. Lifting stuff up there is another opportunity for employees to get injured, for stuff to slide off and cause damage.

Then perhaps the Transit Connect is not the right choice for you? It sounds like you would be better suited by the exact vehicle you show in the picture, an F150 with an A.R.E. shell over the bed. I don't work in San Francisco but I do work in Berkeley and Oakland, which in the downtown areas anyway, can be just as tight and crowded as any other city... and I manage to get the rear doors open just fine while parallel parked.

In Europe the TC was (maybe still is?) available in certain configurations with a one-piece liftgate (just like a minivan), but I have not heard of any plans on Ford's part to bring that here. You would still need some space at the rear to clear the gate as it opened, just like a minivan.

I am surprised I haven't heard anything about the ride quality. Around a nice city street is great but on the hwy the ride is S.

Also,

Some form of insulation from road noise.- clients can't hear me when driving. (bluetooth becomes useless)

clearance for chains.

more power

power points that are key'd with the ignition so we can leave our gps plugged in.

a/c that turns off completely

sun visor extension or option

Better radio- hear this is coming?

change side mirrors so they don't capture every single cars headlights at night!

Flat fold down front seat with console on the back like some mini vans have.

Otherwise - love it.

tc777 those are some good points. I find that the ride quality suffers on highways that have frequent expansion joints. Due to the short wheelbase it sets up a "hobby horse" effect that can get annoying. I totally agree on the bluetooth becoming unusable while driving due to noise, and that a fold down passenger seat would be VERY useful and seemingly not a difficult feature for Ford to retrofit.

Then perhaps the Transit Connect is not the right choice for you? It sounds like you would be better suited by the exact vehicle you show in the picture, an F150 with an A.R.E. shell over the bed. I don't work in San Francisco but I do work in Berkeley and Oakland, which in the downtown areas anyway, can be just as tight and crowded as any other city... and I manage to get the rear doors open just fine while parallel parked.

It seems Zepper has a similar issue with getting the doors open in tight spaces, and eresweber also had concerns about stuff projecting out the back. I'm not alone in these concerns, these are pretty basic day-to-day issues, which could readily be addressed by offering a modified rear door configuration.

I think the TC would be a great vehicle for me if Ford would just think it through a little better. I like the F150 with a bed cap, but it's a gas guzzler. I get 14 mpg on the open highway, and probably about 8 mpg in typical Chicago driving. And I could use the additional cargo height of the TC.

I thought this thread was about suggesting improvements, not taking the attitude that "well, if you don't like it, go buy something else".

Edited by hdrider_chgo

I thought this thread was about suggesting improvements, not taking the attitude that "well, if you don't like it, go buy something else".

You seem to be getting the wrong vibe from me, I'm not trying to antagonize you... but I guess at the risk of inflaming you further, if you don't like it, why would you buy it? Ford isn't reading this discussion forum, they're not going to make changes because one, or even a couple dozen, people on the internet ask for it. It's more like a "I wish the vehicle had this, but deep down I know it never will" discussion thread. For the record I didn't choose the TC, it was forced upon me. I wasn't a big fan of it at first, but I have grown to like it. Sorry if you are taking my comments the wrong way.

• 3 weeks later...

Take some of the height and add it to the length then I could get a 6 foot ladder inside and maybe it would help the mileage. If the motor was a bit bigger it would get better milage when traveling on the interstate. I was getting better milage with a V-6 Windstar.

• 3 weeks later...

So now that I've become acquainted with my TC, I feel that some things could be improved, here are my thoughts:

1)The ignition key hole could be lighted, so at night it would be easiear to insert the key. The key is not too intuitive to begin with, so I always have to fiddle with it in the dark.

2) The rain gutter/railings on top of the roof ,should be flat at the rear of the vehicle, now it's raised up so water accumulates on the roof when it rains, since it cannot escape at the rear, so whenever I brake all the water comes gushing to the front windshield.

3) It would be nice to have a real coin holder, instead of those little 4 slots by the hand brake.

4) The exterior plastic/rubber trim on the car could be better quality. Even when I took delivery of the vehicle, the plastic seemed faded, could be the Hawaii sun, but that's way too soon to be happening. I had to buy 303 Aerospace to give it a more even look.

These might be minor things, but I feel that if corrected, they could improve the overall quality of the car.

Please feel free to agree or disagree, or if you have any other items that you would like to add.

I agree with all of your concerns, since I just purchased a 2011 TC XLT wagon, I can add more needed improvements...

I believe that the vehicle is somewhat underpowered...it is ok for me on the east coast where the land is very flat, but it would struggle in the mountain areas...

interior of the XLT wagon is very plain even though I opted for most of the upgrades that were available...

handsfree bluetooth is difficult as it is noisey in the cabin and the factory radio is disappointing...

and what is the deal with the power locks...you have to access the vehicle through the side sliding door and reach through to the front door to lock the vehicle manually...what engineer designed this?

Ford needs to improve these areas or just don't offer the XLT model as I was always convinced that this was their premium product line.

Lastly, where is the 1.8 turbo diesel offering that has been the mainstream in Europe for some time?

Take some of the height and add it to the length then I could get a 6 foot ladder inside and maybe it would help the mileage. If the motor was a bit bigger it would get better milage when traveling on the interstate. I was getting better milage with a V-6 Windstar.

1.8 turbo diesel would solve the problem of power...they have been using that drive train for some time in Europe...I am convinced that too much money is being made is the USA on oil, which is why we do not get higher mileage vehicles here...Transit would probably get 35-40 MPG with the diesel and last longer.

The biggest gripes we hear from our customers mainly fall into three categories.

Mounting Points - Need more especially on the roof. The current spot is so far forward some Ladder Racks realistically have to be bolted through the roof for proper heavy duty installations.

Towing - Currently the recommendation stands as it's not a towing vehicle, some companies are making equipment for this but Ford's recommendation is not to use this for towing

Battery Life - This may have been fixed on the new model year but the initial batches that came off the Assembly Lines did not keep a charge. The battery would be completly dead if the vehicle sat for longer than two weeks. (Not an issue if you use it everyday but everyone needs to take a vacation from time to time)

These are the most common complaints we hear from the guys who use the Transit everyday.

Darek

www.inlad.com

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I would have bought a TC last year, but found the seating and space it grudgingly provided for me as a driver was intolerably painful within about 25 minutes of my saddling up. The console intrudes on the gas pedal, there was very little space around it. Service people have told me the console covers mostly empty space. Other than that, I have no complaints -- I was once able to tolerate a Datsun mini-pickup with a 1.9 L engine for 135,000 miles.

What improvements I would like

• More space for the driver
  • Get rid of that useless and space wasting console
  • Optional power seat for the driver.

ke

• Get rid of that useless and space wasting console

I don't really have a problem with the TC seating, but I have often wondered why most car companies insist on floor mounted shifters, especially for front drive automatics. A column shifter and bench seat in many cars could provide an extra passenger space.

• 3 months later...

Ford missed the DMV height requirement for wheelchair passengers by 2" at the rear door opening. Gain 1" for latching system.

Removable seats so you can carry a sheet of plywood or a 2x4.

Latch removable rear seats like all other passenger van manufacturers.

Lowered floor for stability and ramp angle.

Ability to program the rear doors and trunk as one separate from the front doors.

Diesel for horse power and weight for the ride and stability.

Real CNG 90G option availability.

Real CNG factory installed instead of a $4,000 retro fit.

A real cup holder that is not behind you.

Replaceable dash panels to install radio equipment in the dash.

Roof rails to tap into roof mounting products.

Roof drainage so all the water doesn't come down the windshield when stopping.

Lock on glove box for security.

Factory or Dealer installation of ramp or lift systems instead if an $18,000 retrofit.

Real Ford Mobility installations at the factory or dealer level.

Tilt out rear windows in door or side windows.

Factory alarm system installed or plug and play instead of some garage hack voiding warranty.

Heater controls that you don't have to pull over to see.

Utilization of center counsel for storage.

Air ride drivers seat.

A dealer that want's to service or sell the Transit Connect.

Edited by W8PIE

Two years and thirty thousand miles into ownership, here are my observations:

Darek is right - I had to bolt through the roof for my ladder rack since the factory mounts are way too close together and too far back

Adding 0.4 liters to the engine along with turbo would make a nice difference, especially taking off uphill

I don't know whether it's the shifting points or the gearing, but it seems like there's a dead power range between 2nd and 3rd gear where you can't get the power you need in 3rd and once it downshifts it's screaming at 6500 RPM in 2nd. Very annoying.

The built-in/factory mic sucks. I've compared it to N American made Fords and it's completely different. Most people complain they can't hear me if the truck is moving. I'm going to replace it with something better and closer to my face at some point

There should be a LED upgrade option for interior lights in the van versions. The stock lights are burning 50 or 60 watts (40 in the rear, not sure what's up front) every time you open the door and they stay on till the timer shuts them off. I changed mine to fluorescent and haven't had battery issues since, but fluorescent lifespan sucks in a work van

There should be more power ports in the rear that are on designated circuits for battery chargers or inverters and which don't get blocked by shelving

The key fob design is one of the worst I've had. I basically need to be able to see it to see where the buttons are since they're so flat that there's no tactile feedback. It actually got easier to use once the Ford emblem fell out of the fob and I can at least tell front from back now

A second issue with the key fob is that I've had the truck open up when I put the key in my pants pocket and it presses against another key. The actuation buttons really need to be recessed

The massive columns at the front are awful for visibility. I've had a few hairy situations at stop signs where I started to pull out because the passenger side column completely blocked my view of a vehicle approaching from the right and both columns have blocked my view of pedestrians

The auto lock feature on the seat belt is way too sensitive. It locks up almost every time I stop at a stop sign forcing me to sit back and wait before I can lean forward to check traffic

Now for some compliments:

I actually find the vehicle very comfortable - more so than our 2004 Passat.

It is easier to maneuver than the Passat, has excellent rear view visibility at night and I feel safe driving it

It's one of the best vehicles I've owned for parallel parking.

My mileage has been decent (about 20 MPG mixed conditions) but not as high as I hoped

My 3 year-old daughter loves it.

The massive columns at the front are awful for visibility. I've had a few hairy situations at stop signs where I started to pull out because the passenger side column completely blocked my view of a vehicle approaching from the right and both columns have blocked my view of pedestrians

The pillars are even worse in a Civic. They're as thick but more towards you so you can't tilt your head around them.

why most car companies insist on floor mounted shifters, especially for front drive automatics. A column shifter and bench seat in many cars could provide an extra passenger space.

I think floor mounted shifters are a triumph of style over substance, just like having the TC's driver seat crammed up in the left front corner with a vast of amount of space behind. Perhaps having the shifter very close to the transmission saves a few bucks on construction.

I've been looking for aftermarket seats for over a year now, have turned up none. Ain't buying a TC unless I can find one.

Floor shifter is logical if you have a RWD vehicle, the shifter sits directly on top of the transmission and is the cheapest, maintenance free and most precise of the options. Any other way would require a linkage/cable system. The manual shifter of a Connect is placed perfectly in terms of driveability and the throw is near perfect, like in a sports car - Click-click.

But I love column shifters in automatics for the extra floor space and function. It's actually not a shiter, it's a gear selector.