Ford Transit Connect Forum

Interior rattle sounds

s5pitfire

Greetings,

I recently purchased a 2016 TC XLT passenger with 32k miles in excellent condition besides 3 minor interior issues that maybe some of you have experienced and solved.

There is a faint rattling sound that sounds like it's a loose piece of plastic (missing a bolt or fastener?) inside or on the pillar that the top of the seatbelt is mounted to. Makes sound over any bump or textured pavement, driver's side. Location wise, it sounds like it's the actual seatbelt mount. I adjusted it upward and downward. While driving, I try to rest my left hand on the various pieces of plastic on the pillar, the front part of the drivers side sliding door, and on the driver's door to see if stops. The rattle persists with the sliding door and driver's door windows rolled all the way down so it cant be glass rubbing on the rubber seal liners.

The 2015 TC XLT passenger with 75k miles (was in good condition) had the same rattling sound coming from the same location. 

Also, the passenger fold-down sun visor rattles when it is up and in the closed position, so I drive around with it 40% opened to alleviate the sound. 

The new 2020 cargo I drove had neither of these rattles.

[snip]

Thank you for any suggestions or solutions provided!

Edited by s5pitfire
removed folding seat issue with it being stuck folded down. The dealer took care of it.

I have a 2016 Titanium with 18,000 miles.  It mostly sits in the garage but don't have any of those issues you mentioned.  The middle row bucket seats are sometimes a bit cranky about unfolding.  Usually it is because something is wedged under it and puts pressure on the latch mechanism which takes more effort to release.  I haven't greased mine but probably would help a bit as well - doesn't need much.  Drivers sun visor sags a bit but no rattles.  Passenger visor is good.  

The rattle may be the side cargo door,  the actual door, not window.  They tend to get slightly out of adjustment after a few years and rattle a little.  Other's have had a problem with them, and they can be a little tricky to fix from what I have read.  I personally have not had an issue (yet).

@davidparker

Thanks. Hard to imagine its the actual door due to the nature if the sound. Very slight plastic rattle sound. Maybe try to drive in my privaye acerage with the sliding door open to see.

Side note: Unfortunately the 3 year 36k BTB warranty is not eligible, but I'm hoping the Chevy dealership I bought it from can fix the seat issue as promised. If not I'll be calling the ford dealership. The TSB is for the 60/40 seat setup but its close enough (I have the 2 bucket set up) 

Edited by s5pitfire
Add info

• 2 years later...

There's a rattle that has been driving me nuts. I'm always driving, but to me it sounds over my left shoulder. I thought maybe there is some movement in my rack system, but haven't been able to put my finger on it. Today, I moved the Connect while the slider was open, and the noise was more pronounced. I think the noise may be the plastic, chain/cable housing that protects wires going to the door. Perhaps these wires are for a "door ajar" sensor, IDK. But when the door is closed this chain is in the door-slide track and may be rattling against the track or housing. I can't think of a way to prove it is, or isn't, my rattle. Just wondering if others have a door rattle, and ended up on this thread.

Edited by Chip