Ford Transit Connect Forum

2014 LiftGate stuck closed?

john89john

Hey im new here, and to a transit connect. i have a 2014 lwb titanium if it matters.

Well i ran into my first problem, liftgate wont open. I replaced the button to open door but didnt work so I need some help.

I use this vehicle for work and the liftgate not working is a bummer.

what would be the next thing to look at? I've been reading the bcm controls the liftgate but maybe lock actuator is stuck any way to test that?

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey guys 2015 here. Didn't see anybody post the fix so I am. Where the wire harness pass into the body on the right hand side the wires rub on an un-grommeted hole, the insulation comes off and they short. 

Open the tailgate, locate rubber wire tube on right side. Pull off lower connection, see busted wires. Isolate and wrap them in electrical tape. Armor bundle against rubbing.

• 4 months later...

Mine did it to me today.  Wouldn’t open.  No way to open it from the inside.  I read izinbloom’s post (thanks!).  I slapped the right corner of the hatch and it immediately made the sound of the hatch actuator.  Yay!  I opened it then and pulled the boot.  Found a few wires in bad shape.  I pulled the inside trim to get more length on the harness to work on it.  Lots of sticky gross black masking tape falling off the wires.  I’m pretty sure the dealer taped wires when I complained the actuator was firing multiple times as the hatch raised each time.  
I added some solder to the worst wire then taped them all.  Hopefully it lasts longer this time.  

811B1FC5-E5B9-422B-8948-DB929FA25558.jpeg

F09D6B04-5E82-4AD6-85BA-1C546E5678E5.jpeg

617F67C8-8C99-48B1-95E1-25377E4710A3.jpeg

• 9 months later...

I read all the replies below and non of them help me open the rear hatch.  I have a feeling my issue is a frayed wired at the corner like kookmyer explained.  Unfortunately the slapping technique didn't work for me.  Is there ANY other way to open the damn hatch.  (The number 65 fuse is not the issue. I checked).

Thanks

Update: I was able to use a screwdriver to wiggle the wiring harness.  It immediately unlocked the latch!  Thanks for the info.  Now I need to learn how to install a interior latch button.

Edited by Tim_Gold_Van

• 1 year later...

I’d like to be able to open the liftgate while inside the vehicle.

If anyone has installed a switch for opening the liftgate from inside the van, please post about how you did it. I’m sure the answer lies somewhere in Don’s wiring diagram, but I have trouble translating from diagrams to “cut this wire, splice in switch.” Thanks in advance.