Ford Transit Connect Forum

Hellos and Introductions

LukeMay

Hello and thanks for this forum.

I recently purchased a 2011 XLT model with 106K miles on it. According to CarFax, it's an old State Farm mobile office vehicle. No back seats, a solid composite floor, and at one time had a desk and a chair for working with customers at remote sites. It has all the windows, which my wife likes for visibility purposes. It's in great shape, and runs well.

Some things will need attention:

• The antenna is in the glove box (yes, I know it doesn't work as well as when it's on the roof). Need to find some replacement for that.
  • The backup camera is VERY blurry. OEM unit runs about $250-400, so I may be looking at a retrofit of a cheaper unit.
  • Check of normal maintenance items (fluids, tires, belts, etc).

Other than that, the vehicle drives nicely, and should suit us well for its tasks: estate sales, light hauling, musical equipment, etc.

Thanks again for having me, and I hope to chat with you all soon.

LukeMay

Welcome and yes antennas work best when on the roof.  :-)  If its just the part that screws on Ive had good success with ones from Amazon for my other vehicles.  On the backup camera have you checked the lens?  It may just need cleaning.

I checked the backup camera again. It doesn't look there's any scratches or hazing on the lens.  Problem probably lies deeper within.  I may end up using a license bracket unit and splicing it into the existing wiring.  Here are a couple of pictures of the mast and the mounting on the roof. Apologies for the quality.  I'll take better ones later if time permits.

On 12/7/2018 at 12:25 PM, LukeMay said:

Hello and thanks for this forum.

I recently purchased a 2011 XLT model with 106K miles on it. According to CarFax, it's an old State Farm mobile office vehicle. No back seats, a solid composite floor, and at one time had a desk and a chair for working with customers at remote sites. It has all the windows, which my wife likes for visibility purposes. It's in great shape, and runs well.

Some things will need attention:

• The antenna is in the glove box (yes, I know it doesn't work as well as when it's on the roof). Need to find some replacement for that.
  • The backup camera is VERY blurry. OEM unit runs about $250-400, so I may be looking at a retrofit of a cheaper unit.
  • Check of normal maintenance items (fluids, tires, belts, etc).

Other than that, the vehicle drives nicely, and should suit us well for its tasks: estate sales, light hauling, musical equipment, etc.

Thanks again for having me, and I hope to chat with you all soon.

LukeMay

The cameras are available if you think that the actual camera and license plate light unit is the actual problem.  Check the connections.  Try trouble shooting the wiring first.  

Speaking of wiring.  Where is the wiring for the antenna.  If you simply stick the antenna back onto the body with adhesive or epoxy, that won't help you.  Antenna kits with wiring are available as well.  I am guessing that a lot of people over the years have driven their Transit Connects into spaces which were too low.

These are available on amazon.com

• Auto Wayfeng WF New 170 CCD Car Reversing Rear View License Plate Backup Camera Parking Assist for Ford Transit Connect

Auto Wayfeng WF New 170 CCD Car Reversing Rear View License Plate Backup Camera Parking Assist for Ford Transit Connect

Note: This item is only available from third-party sellers (see all offers).

Available from these sellers.

• Waterproof IP68
  • Working Power: DC 12V
 See more product details

New (1) from $12.99 & FREE shipping.