Bob M

Diagnostic codes say incorrect gear ratios

Hello all,

Recently had a catastrophic transmission failure. At about 189K, the differential gears decided to leave the transmission  and made their own exit hole in the side of the housing right where the speed sensor used to be.  This is a 2010 TC. I went to the local salvage and got a transmission from a 2009 Focus. Guaranteed to fit. I had it  rebuilt and installed it. Now I am pulling these codes.  Anybody now how I can fix this?

Forscan may be able to reset or recalibrate the proper module(s). Probably the PCM module. Do some research on the Forscan.org website. The software is free but you will need a bluetooth ELM327 adapter (plugs into the OBDII port).

This will get you started:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-8dKaS_Spu4Zw4hV_CrKC4tLoP9G8yejqegF1wxIqxY/edit

Otherwise, you may be visiting your local Ford dealer.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Gonna go take a gander at the link you sent.  Very appreciative here.

Was told I need to get the PCM reprogrammed. Not sure why they need the VIN cause the tranny is out of a Focus and I do not have that VIN. 

Posted (edited)

You will need the Vin of the Focus to Identify the final drive ratio that the Focus has,  The TC vin will also tell what the final drive ratio is set to at the moment.  

Edited by G B L

you’ll probably be able to determine the final drive ratio from the box part number.

VIN for the Focus isn't available. How many final gear ratios can there be for a 2008 Ford Focus? Also,  Where can I find the Box part Number? Is this the  gear box?  Thanks for all your help.

The part number is somewhere on the box case, probably a visible spot. The old shape engine bay is quite open with no unnecessary cladding/tubing.